Mike Egnew has to be a Philbin pick! Not an Ireland type pick or guy!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BESS4LAST, Apr 11, 2013.

1. BESS4LAST

BESS4LAST AFC EAST CHAMPS

Just thought about it and there is absolutely no way Jeff Ireland would make that pick...where he was drafted seems about where they would let Philbin make a pick...and what a horrible one at that...sure he wants to do that over..." Here you go Joe....have a crack at it...it's not soo hard...just pick a guy who you Think can contribute right away...make it count." Says Jeff Ireland.

2. Alm1ghty

Alm1ghty Well-Known Member

:bobdole: little late to the party on this one...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
  3. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

OMG!...one...bad...draft...pick...we're...doomed!
    ...EVERYONE...makes...bad...draft...picks...so...what's...your...point...?

4. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

OK!!!

YEAH!!

Exclamation points everywhere!!!

5. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

You are all foolish if you think it was just Joe or just Jeff.

I'm sure they made the pick based on a multitude of evaluations and discussions on how if said pick was made he would be used and what the risk/reward of that pick might be. I am also quite certain they didn't realize that Egnew was going to be dumber than a bag of hammers when it came to picking up the playbook and his responsibilities, so in that regard it was unplanned.

6. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

/thread

Very well said.

7. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

I'm amazed at the amount of consternation a single third round pick can cause.

8. FinMike

FinMike Well-Known Member

Garlic mashed potatoes with a side of gravy:

db7d1af6_iStock_000006652162XSmall.jpg

9. Cowboynemo

Cowboynemo Well-Known Member

Some guys will ***** over an "8" at 11 o'clock...!

10. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

This morning, I too had voices in my head re-enacting the Powerball spokesman announcing last night's drawing: "and the winning numbers are 1-36-40-52-53 and the Powerball number is 20... we have one winner of over $60million in South Florida." Amazing! Looks like you and I are on the same profitable telepathic wavelenghts!

11. JDRA20

JDRA20 Well-Known Member

I liked the Egnew pick last year, obviously he hasn't done anything yet so it looks like a terrible pick, but I'm glad they took a shot on a guy who had a lot of potential from the get-go. Better than taking safe boring picks like Ireland has done for the last 5 years.

12. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Especially when that third round pick represents everything that we have so far from trading Brandon Marshall.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Michael Egnew is right in Jeff Ireland's wheelhouse.

Jeff Ireland is a height-weight-speed guy. The numbers matter to him. Think Les Brown, a guy with virtually no football background that Jeff Ireland brought on simply because he had good numbers. Michael Egnew was an absolute Combine King. He'd put a ton of this year's tight ends to shame at the Combine.

Armando Salguero recently stated pretty directly when asked whether Egnew was a coaching call or front office call, that he was front office all the way. I believe him. I'm sure Joe Philbin told Jeff Ireland what type of tight end he really needs and I think that kind of tight end is not necessarily in Ireland's wheelhouse because he loves physical blocking guys. But he also loves height-weight-speed guys, and so his answer to Joe Philbin's need was Egnew.

14. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

it didn't help that the two guys we really needed to draft were both taken by Indy.

15. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

What is this I don't even

16. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Of course nothing is ever Jeffery's fault!

17. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

The guy that started this thread is right. Every player we've drafted since Ireland's been here that turned out to be any good(about 1 per draft) has been Ireland's pick. All the players that haven't turned out to be any good(most of them) are someone else's fault. Ireland picks one good player in every draft and then goes home and lets everyone else mess up the rest of the draft.. He's never missed on any player. He just hasn't drafted enough players. The rest of the FO along with the HC keep on making all those bad picks.

Ozzy rules!!

18. z926538

z926538 Rookie

I thought we established in a thread from a few days ago that Mr. Snuffleuppagus made all of those picks.

19. z926538

z926538 Rookie

We could have traded up to get either of them had the FO considered it to be that important. They didn't which means they graded out Egnew to be just as good as the Indy picks. [Kinda like they graded Henne to be the equivalent of Flacco and Ryan...]

20. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

we had no way of knowing indy would go the TE route, it was just as likely he could've fallen to us and to trade up and get freener it would've taken a trade partner in the 1st. Finally, we had no way of knowing that indy would draft two te's back to back! Again we didn't think we needed to trade up for a TE, but if we had to it would've required our second round pick and lets be honest, Tackle was more of a need.

So really don't let the facts get in the way of a good ireland hate fest.

21. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

This.

22. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Beyond what's said about "to assume" notwithstanding, unless you were an incipient gaseous buildup lodged in Ireland's rectal canal, how could you possibly know what or how they graded - or how their original board got usurped?

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Notice I'm not blaming Jeff Ireland for anything here. I'm just saying this is absolutely the kind of player that is in Jeff Ireland's wheelhouse and I wouldn't doubt it when Armando says that Ireland was more responsible for him than Philbin.

I thought Egnew was a good tight end prospect. I'd have taken him if Fleener and Allen were off the board. You're right Fleener and Allen were the tight ends you really wanted to target and there was a significant drop after them, which I acknowledged several times. Picking which tight end was going to be 3rd behind them was a tough one because nobody stood out as being great on the field. But Egnew did flash on the field at times and he was no doubt GREAT off it in the Combine setting. I just wish I could stick an electric shocker on him with a remote that would give him a jolt every time I felt he wasn't running with urgency because that was my biggest complaint about him, no urgency in his game at all. Physically gifted as all hell, with ball skills that are generally under-appreciated around here, but no urgency.

24. FinMike

FinMike Well-Known Member

This.