Mike Mayock: Fix the offensive line and you have a top 10 QB in Ryan Tannehill | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock: Fix the offensive line and you have a top 10 QB in Ryan Tannehill

Insecure posters and analysts abuse the word tape. We're somehow supposed to bow down to them because they watch game film.

I prefer to laugh at how ridiculous it is. Again, it reminds me of when horse racing was more of a mainstream sport. You'd hear guys at the track, or on television, ranting all the time, "Forget the past performances in the Racing Form. I SAW THE RACE..."

Then he'd dependably hand out one loser after another.

Tape is nothing more than subjectivity attached to a prop. I like Mayock more than I did a few years ago, but like virtually everybody who relies on tape he is often ignorant of the big picture. Tape does not mean nearly as much when it's focused on a late bloomer or overachiever. Those types will absolutely kill your team, if you have them in abundance or in the wrong positions. The league is flooded with bluebloods. If you try to combat that with maybes, then your high water mark is mediocrity. Tannehill has some nice qualities but the fact that he was 23 years old before he started his first season as full time college starter should be a hint that his upside is not what the tape-obsessed want to believe. When it takes that long, there are issues that generally can't be fully overcome. I don't mind late round flyers on late bloomers. Relying on them early in your draft is a steady grind toward failure.

Oh yeah, avoid jerks also. Don't want late bloomers, overachievers or jerks. A home neutral stadium, that's not good either. I still think the only reliable way to know we've turned the corner is when a new stadium is announced. Prior to that it's mostly guesswork, and if that guesswork is high franchise hopes on a late blooming quarterback, I know which side of 50% the truth is likely to fall.

Insecure posters and analysts abuse the word tape. We're somehow supposed to bow down to them because they watch game film.

I prefer to laugh at how ridiculous it is. Again, it reminds me of when horse racing was more of a mainstream sport. You'd hear guys at the track, or on television, ranting all the time, "Forget the past performances in the Racing Form. I SAW THE RACE..."

Then he'd dependably hand out one loser after another.

Tape is nothing more than subjectivity attached to a prop. I like Mayock more than I did a few years ago, but like virtually everybody who relies on tape he is often ignorant of the big picture. Tape does not mean nearly as much when it's focused on a late bloomer or overachiever. Those types will absolutely kill your team, if you have them in abundance or in the wrong positions. The league is flooded with bluebloods. If you try to combat that with maybes, then your high water mark is mediocrity. Tannehill has some nice qualities but the fact that he was 23 years old before he started his first season as full time college starter should be a hint that his upside is not what the tape-obsessed want to believe. When it takes that long, there are issues that generally can't be fully overcome. I don't mind late round flyers on late bloomers. Relying on them early in your draft is a steady grind toward failure.

Oh yeah, avoid jerks also. Don't want late bloomers, overachievers or jerks. A home neutral stadium, that's not good either. I still think the only reliable way to know we've turned the corner is when a new stadium is announced. Prior to that it's mostly guesswork, and if that guesswork is high franchise hopes on a late blooming quarterback, I know which side of 50% the truth is likely to fall.
You know who else relies on "tape"?
Coaches who want to find weakness in opposing players.
Coaches who want to know the tendencies of opposing coaches.
Every scout from every scouting department of every single team in the league.
When you know what you're looking at the film is everything. it shows you what players and coaches do in a given situation and it's much more valuable to them than playing the averages

Back
Top Bottom