Mike Sherman: On Ryan Tannehill to fix tipped passes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Sherman: On Ryan Tannehill to fix tipped passes

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman isn't blaming the play calling and he isn't blaming the behemoth linemen up front. This one falls on Tannehill to correct.

"He's got to find the passing lane. Guys (are) a little taller, a little bigger at this level," Sherman told Brian Biggane of The Palm Beach Post. "The window is a little bit smaller, and these guys have a lot of range. He hasn't had a problem with it in practice. It has not been an issue, and (if it was a problem) you would think it would be a recurring issue in practice."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...herman-on-ryan-tannehill-to-fix-tipped-passes

May have just a little to do with the fact that the Texans have one of the best defenses in the league.

I don't think the raidahs will be as tough.

I have to disagree with Sherman about it "not" being a problem. Although I am not there watching Tannehill practice, I have seen numerous tipped passes in the preseason games, and I though it was a problem back then. I do agree with the problem falling on Tannehill, he has to find a throwing lane.

Hey Sherman it was a problem when you coached him at Texas Am.You were in denial than as you are now.8 of his 15 int's at Texas Am came on tip passes.To correct the problem you have to admit to yourself there is a problem.Starting to lose faith in this coaching staff

Typical finheaven thread. Everybody knows more than the coaching staff, but they keep their desk jobs in the real world

He is young and this will be a process.

I'm more concern that our defensive line doesn't challenge him like that in practice.

He is young and this will be a process.

What kind of process?

Are we talking like, processing my credit history before I buy a house?

Or like Global warming, evolution, and lines at the DMV?

I understand he is a rookie and am absolutely against benching the kid, but what kind of progress should we expect to see here? I guarantee if this goes on another 4 games people will call for his head (Who am I kidding, idiots are already calling for him to be benched, next week will be even worst.)

This has been highlighted as a concern from his college days. Why is Sherman denying that this is a problem. From here on, opposing Dlinemen will be trained to put emphasis on putting up their arms trying to tip the ball. Maybe our Dlinemen should place emphasis on this at Dolphin practice.

Typical finheaven thread. Everybody knows more than the coaching staff, but they keep their desk jobs in the real world

I have to disagree on this one, while agreeing on many others. The posters gave specific examples from preseason and college under the same coach, and make valid points.

I have to disagree with Sherman about it "not" being a problem. Although I am not there watching Tannehill practice, I have seen numerous tipped passes in the preseason games, and I though it was a problem back then. I do agree with the problem falling on Tannehill, he has to find a throwing lane.

It happens to every QB in the league. I saw Big Ben and Brees get batted balls on multiple occasions this weekend.

He may also have a low release point. If so, it would be wise for the coach to publically minimize the problem while privately working on adjusting Tannehill's release point. If he mentions it publically, it will only cause more problems as opposing defenses concentrate on getting their arms up more than usual in the pass rush.

I'm quoting from the Football Outsiders Almanac 2012:

"Houston led the league with 27 passes tipped at the line or batted down, five more than any other defense."

Work on it, sure. But let it be known these guys are *good* at this...

If I remember correctly J.J. Watt is a monster at blocking field goals as well. The guy just take great angles towards the ball.

Hey Sherman it was a problem when you coached him at Texas Am.You were in denial than as you are now.8 of his 15 int's at Texas Am came on tip passes.To correct the problem you have to admit to yourself there is a problem.Starting to lose faith in this coaching staff
Sherman also said that in his Senior year, only 4 tipped passes were counted against him. A lot of factors cause tipped passes, notjust theQB.

Back
Top Bottom