Mike Sherman: On Ryan Tannehill to fix tipped passes | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Sherman: On Ryan Tannehill to fix tipped passes

Hes saying it's not a problem because he thinks saying so will make it not a problem. Facts are its a recurring problem. It's a problem because of the consequences. It's more tannehills problem than the oline. We have one new guy on the line this year. It never happened last year or the year before. It was a frequent problem for Ryan in college. Sherman said it want a problem in the preseason game when it happened. It wasn't addressed and it came back to haunt us in a game we might have been able to win. It's not that his release is too low. His passes are predictable. He doesnt pump fake and he doesn't lock off his targets. U don't have to do the pump fake every snap. Once or twice should b effective enough to keep the defense honest

Tannehill needs to correct the batted down passes as soon as possible. Tannehill got a good arm and accuracy. Now that he got all the pressure off from starting his first game away against a superbowl type team, i see him getting more confortable in the pocket and playing better.

He needs to use his feet more and more around in the pocket more. He looked immobile last week against the texans.

I think he will improve and this team will go as far as he can take them.

Im not thinking playoffs this year. Im thinking more like player development...Example like pouncey....He looked dominating at times.

We have some draft picks next year and dont be surprised if we trade more players for draft picks.

Gotta build a team around tannehill...get more OL and receivers. We will be drafting really high in every round.

Let the rebuilding continue.

GO PHINS.

We need to move the POCKET every down right left left right (mix it up) and he will have success (How about a roll right to give the passer an open lane to throw and an option to run or pass)

I think Philbin said it best, when saying it was a combo of faults. One RT, in Tannehill (a rookie) has to improve on looking down receivers. Another RT, as in right tackle Martin (a rookie) has to improve in getting the hands down from the DL.

I'm also wondering how much shorter receivers have to do with the problem. Obviously, you can throw the ball higher to a 6'4" WR with long arms than a guy 5'11". Just a thought.

Hes saying it's not a problem because he thinks saying so will make it not a problem. Facts are its a recurring problem. It's a problem because of the consequences. It's more tannehills problem than the oline. We have one new guy on the line this year. It never happened last year or the year before. It was a frequent problem for Ryan in college. Sherman said it want a problem in the preseason game when it happened. It wasn't addressed and it came back to haunt us in a game we might have been able to win. It's not that his release is too low. His passes are predictable. He doesnt pump fake and he doesn't lock off his targets. U don't have to do the pump fake every snap. Once or twice should b effective enough to keep the defense honest

While I agree it certainly Tannehill's issue to resolve, depending on the o-line I think a pump fake on a three step drop could be dangerous to your health (Ouch).

Why is Sherman denying that this is a problem.

Things to consider:

Michael Francis Sherman (born December 19, 1954) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL), a position he assumed in January 2012. Sherman has previously been the head football coach at Texas A&M University from 2008 to 2011. Prior to coaching the Aggies, he served as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers from the 2000 to 2005. Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons from 2000–04 and three divisional titles in 2002, 2003, and 2004.[SUP][1][/SUP] Before he started coaching in the NFL, he served as an assistant coach at five different colleges, including Texas A&M, where he coached the offensive line for seven seasons.

I could be wrong, but I think this makes him an expert on this issue. Not to mention, he coached said QB in college. Who knows better what Ryan Tannehill's issues really are? Hell, I might go so far as to say this makes him THE expert on the issue where Ryan Tannehill is concerned.

I agree that the Oline needs to help the qb....throw down the defender do something to get the defenders away form the middle of the field so that RT has a clear path and clear throwing lane.

It seemed to me tannehill was in shock in his first regular season game. I think he will calm down this week move in the pocket and play a bit better.

We are at home and we have the crowd on our side this time.

I agree with anyone that says we threw tannehill into the fire too soon....Maybe it would had been better if gerard stayed healthy ......but its just fate......

Just let him play the rest of the season and develop. sooner or later he will figure it out.

Things to consider:

Michael Francis Sherman (born December 19, 1954) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL), a position he assumed in January 2012. Sherman has previously been the head football coach at Texas A&M University from 2008 to 2011. Prior to coaching the Aggies, he served as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers from the 2000 to 2005. Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons from 2000–04 and three divisional titles in 2002, 2003, and 2004.[SUP][1][/SUP] Before he started coaching in the NFL, he served as an assistant coach at five different colleges, including Texas A&M, where he coached the offensive line for seven seasons.

I could be wrong, but I think this makes him an expert on this issue. Not to mention, he coached said QB in college. Who knows better what Ryan Tannehill's issues really are? Hell, I might go so far as to say this makes him THE expert on the issue where Ryan Tannehill is concerned.

I don't think anyone here disputes Sherman's knowledge of the game. Hell, he likely knows more than all the thousands of posters here combined.

However, that does not always make him right. If that were the case, Tuna, Sparano, and Henning had over a FRAKIN CENTURY of experience. Wanna tell me they were always right? :)

Is it possible that Sherman is wrong? Did he not keep Tannehill at WR for two years? How do you do that when the player is a top pick at QB? Was he wrong there, in spite of all his knowledge?

What kind of process?

Are we talking like, processing my credit history before I buy a house?

Or like Global warming, evolution, and lines at the DMV?

I understand he is a rookie and am absolutely against benching the kid, but what kind of progress should we expect to see here? I guarantee if this goes on another 4 games people will call for his head (Who am I kidding, idiots are already calling for him to be benched, next week will be even worst.)

He never should have started to begin the year. Matt Moore is way underrated, especially by this staff cause he doesn't practice good. But Tannehill will learn but it will take much time.

I don't think anyone here disputes Sherman's knowledge of the game. Hell, he likely knows more than all the thousands of posters here combined.

However, that does not always make him right. If that were the case, Tuna, Sparano, and Henning had over a FRAKIN CENTURY of experience. Wanna tell me they were always right? :)

Is it possible that Sherman is wrong? Did he not keep Tannehill at WR for two years? How do you do that when the player is a top pick at QB? Was he wrong there, in spite of all his knowledge?

A previous poster, spiketex, asked, "Why is Sherman denying that this is a problem?" My post above is my considered reply to that question. However, I'm not saying Sherman is always right. I'm just saying I'm gonna go with his opinion on this issue over anyone's. That includes me, you or anyone else on this board. Hell, given his history with Tannehill, I'll take his opinion over anyone, anywhere on this issue. I put faith in subject matter experts.

I'm convinced Sherman is the expert here. That's just me, dude.

He never should have started to begin the year. Matt Moore is way underrated, especially by this staff cause he doesn't practice good. But Tannehill will learn but it will take much time.

I agree Matt Moore is underrated. In fact, I felt he should have started day 1 last year (I was never a Henne fan, and Moore looked far better to me.)

But, fact is, we spent a 1st round pick on a QB in the draft (I personally wasn't thrilled about the pick, but regardless, he is our QB now.), and I dont believe the slow development mumbo-jumbo. The best way to learn is experience, and starting day 1 is the best way to slow the game down for him so he can be effective asap.

If you are gonna sit your #1 pick to start the year, the incumbent better be pretty damn good. Unfortunately, Matt didnt do enough in the preseason to deter Philbin from starting Tanny. And likely, given the state of the WR corp, Philbin didn't feel that the drop off from Moore to Tanny was so significant that he should delay Tanny's development.

That said, Tanny better stop throwing the ball into defenders soon or the start Matt Moore bandwagon will keep growing.

Side note, someone posted Houston had 27 batted passes last year? I think?

Thats over 16 games, so they averaged under 2 per game. How many did Tanny throw? 4 at least? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) So even though they are good at it, we made them look alot better than they were.

A previous poster, spiketex, asked, "Why is Sherman denying that this is a problem?" My post above is my considered reply to that question. However, I'm not saying Sherman is always right. I'm just saying I'm gonna go with his opinion on this issue over anyone's. That includes me, you or anyone else on this board. Hell, given his history with Tannehill, I'll take his opinion over anyone, anywhere on this issue. I put faith in subject matter experts.

I'm convinced Sherman is the expert here. That's just me, dude.

That's fair, and all reasonable opinions are well respected. However "Blind Faith" was one HELL of a band in Classic Rock. I do not feel the same name should apply on NFL coaches. JMO

Back
Top Bottom