MLS ratings up 64% | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MLS ratings up 64%

So they went from 10 people watching to 30?:lol:

The only reason they got any ratings was b/c of curiosity of a 14 yr old kid playing, I doubt it has any major long term effect, soccer will never be a big time sport in the Country.

Soccer can definitely be a big time sport in this country. More kids in this country play soccer than baseball and football. I went to a soccer game at Giants Stadium last year, and 79,000 people were also there. Also, the USA has a lot of Immigrants from countries like Mexico where soccer is king.

This past weekend, 4 of the 5 MLS stadiums had attendances over 20,000. More soccer specific stadiums are being built that will attract fans.

Soccer will never be a big time sport in America. It's just not going to happen. The majority of the country is not interested in it, so it is not going to get ratings. I hate NASCAR, but I would watch NASCAR before I tuned in to watch a soccer game.

I prefer women's soccer...

BTW, I heard that AJ Feeley's girlfriend is going to retire and move with AJ to Miami to do broadcasting or something.

Originally posted by Thundercracker
Soccer will never be a big time sport in America. It's just not going to happen. The majority of the country is not interested in it, so it is not going to get ratings. I hate NASCAR, but I would watch NASCAR before I tuned in to watch a soccer game.
Well that is your opinion.

BTW, Ice I do not think it'll last as high as it is. I think it'll be higher but not AS high. I think there will be more interest but not as much as there was this past weekend.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Well that is your opinion.

BTW, Ice I do not think it'll last as high as it is. I think it'll be higher but not AS high. I think there will be more interest but not as much as there was this past weekend.

I think Adu will definitely attract more fans to the league. MLS will have better ratings and attendance than last year. Adu could attract even more fans to the league throughout the season, or maybe what we got on Saturday is all we are going to get, but I think that the amount of people watching and going to MLS games will be more than it was last season.

I agree. I just don't see the stadiums to fill in as much as it did this past weekend.

The XFL had major hype and big time early ratings. Until I see consistant ratings at a decent level I don't believe they will be good.

The league is just too subpar, but then I find myself asking: do any Americans actually realize this?(average fan, not ppl who follow the game)

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
The XFL had major hype and big time early ratings. Until I see consistant ratings at a decent level I don't believe they will be good.

The league is just too subpar, but then I find myself asking: do any Americans actually realize this?(average fan, not ppl who follow the game)

I don't think most Americans realize there is a Soccer league here. The WNBA is more poplular.

Originally posted by nyjunc

I don't think most Americans realize there is a Soccer league here. The WNBA is more poplular.

This comment is hilarious.

Do you have any proof of this? Or do you want to admit it was a statement of wishful thinking and unvarnished hatred towards soccer, known as football throughout the world minus U.S./Canada (the sport you actually use your foot with the ball).

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, here's my proof: DC United vs San Jose had a sell-out of 24,000+; LA vs N.England had a crowd of 25,152; Columbus vs NY had a crowd of 20,356; KC vs Chicago had a crowd of 20,229. This was 4 games out of the 5 opening games that did this well. Basketball arenas, nonetheless a WNBA game, can't fit these many. MLS games will mostly be on weekends, simiilar to the NFL, I don't see why you would think attendance figures will drop drastically. In fact, most of the fans that go to MLS games have season tickets (15 home games).

MLB Opener (NY Yankees vs Devil Rays in Japan) aired on ESPN on Sunday night 8:00pm had a rating of 1.9 which ESPN stated it was the best rating EVER on their network for a MLB opener. MLS Opener had a rating of 1.8 - But then again, let's just assume the "WNBA is more popular".

Originally posted by Dolfan02
By the way, here's my proof: DC United vs San Jose had a sell-out of 24,000+; LA vs N.England had a crowd of 25,152; Columbus vs NY had a crowd of 20,356; KC vs Chicago had a crowd of 20,229. This was 4 games out of the 5 opening games that did this well. Basketball arenas, nonetheless a WNBA game, can't fit these many. MLS games will mostly be on weekends, simiilar to the NFL, I don't see why you would think attendance figures will drop drastically. In fact, most of the fans that go to MLS games have season tickets (15 home games).

MLB Opener (NY Yankees vs Devil Rays in Japan) aired on ESPN on Sunday night 8:00pm had a rating of 1.9 which ESPN stated it was the best rating EVER on their network for a MLB opener. MLS Opener had a rating of 1.8 - But then again, let's just assume the "WNBA is more popular".

Good post. I can guarantee that the MLS had a higher attendance last year than the WNBA.

There won't be a signifigant drop off in attendance from opening weekend. 3 of those 4 games had no Freddy Adu! The one stadium that did have Adu sold out well in advance and should be bringing in 20,000 people consistently every week. No WNBA team could ever get 20,000 people to go to a game.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

This comment is hilarious.

Do you have any proof of this? Or do you want to admit it was a statement of wishful thinking and unvarnished hatred towards soccer, known as football throughout the world minus U.S./Canada (the sport you actually use your foot with the ball).
Agreed. Soccer is the real football!!!

Back
Top Bottom