Mock 2 - Three Rounds | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock 2 - Three Rounds

My only problem with Lemonier is a lack of bend and flexibility at the bottom of his rush. I don't think burst or athleticism are an issue for him. He's a ferrari.

Starting to wonder if Desmond Trufant won't make it up into the 1st round. He's a popular guy.

IMO, if you're going to take Ryan Swope you might as well just keep Davone Bess...unless you think you can monetize Bess into a nice draft pick. Bess is only accounting for $3.4 million of next year's salary cap. When I talk about replacing Davone Bess it's usually because I want more explosiveness in the skill positions...not the same amount.

Let me offer a mock draft of my own:

1st Round (High Pick): DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State - The most complete defensive end in the Draft. He's not just your typical smart/high motor white guy at defensive end. His take-off from the blocks and reactions to the snap are consistently among the best I've seen. He has the pure ability to blow by guys like they're standing still, but he combines that with good eyes for and immediate reaction to the action in the backfield, and excellent hand use. He slimmed down this year and looks more explosive than ever, while still being a wrecking ball against the run, and having the same knack for getting his hands up and batting passes that you see in a J.J. Watt. There have been times they've put him up in a two point stance and allowed him freedom in his rush, and the results have been spectacular. Werner will be terrorizing offenses for the next decade. He's the perfect complement to Cameron Wake, who by the way will turn 31 years old before this year's Super Bowl is played. You do have to start thinking about which defensive end will take over and be dominant when Cameron Wake starts to fall off, which could happen as soon as three or four years from now. He has an A+ character background as well. He became the architect of his own future NFL career at 15 to 16 years old. Nobody did anything for him, literally. And he's already married, which is considered a good thing from a character standpoint where NFL scouts are concerned.

2nd Round (High Pick): CB Desmond Trufant, Washington - Mr. Trufant is becoming a popular man, as I've mentioned. If you try and wait for him to fall down the boards you may miss out. I also like Terry Hawthorne around this area of the Draft, and that may come into play because you may not even get Trufant at the top of the 2nd round. Corners with his kind of movement ability, burst, explosiveness and innate physicality tend to rise. There may not be enough corners in this Draft with his level of speed, either. Down the road if he's not working out as a corner, you can probably move him to free safety and still get production out of him. He has the hips for either spot.

2nd Round (Low Pick): WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech - This is a guy that I have had to slowly get more and more familiar with as a player because I hadn't done any preseason work on him. The more I saw, the more I liked what I saw. He's got excellent foot quickness and balance. The quickness helps him make a lot of people miss with the ball in his hands. He's actually got underrated size. The only weakness and the reason you'd get him this far down the board to begin with is his deep speed and inability to create separation with straight up speed. Still it wouldn't surprise me if he were gone by the time we reached this pick. I envision Patton as a guy that could work the slot or the split end position and provide just as much at those positions as we would see from Davone Bess or Brian Hartline.

3rd Round (High Pick): WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State - This receivers unit needs an overhaul. I think we can agree on that. Absent a considerable free agent signing (Greg Jennings?), I'm looking at conducting the overall through the Draft. Wheaton is one of the most explosive wide receivers in this Draft. He's lightning speed and quickness combined with a knack for pulling in the ball despite physical coverage. He has a lot of the same foot quickness as Patton but with more long speed but less size. You could imagine these two working together for a while. The problem for Wheaton is he could be anywhere from Mike Wallace all the way down to Tiquan Underwood. You don't know how he'll handle the physicality of the NFL at his size (6'0", 190 lbs) until he actually gets there. But this guy can blow the top off zone coverage, and unlike what you see in some other burners, he can run routes. An alternative to taking Wheaton here could be to go after Virginia Tech's Corey Fuller some time later. Fuller is a natural athlete with blazing speed and I have always found him a more compelling player than his more impressively sized counterpart, Marcus Davis. Fuller is on a fast ascent after starting out a track and field player then converting to football.

3rd Round (Low Pick): RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas - Dennis Johnson has spent so much time on my radar screen that, quite frankly, no matter which team he goes to I will be glad to see him finally out of the college football ranks. I have had a high grade on his potential as a running back since he embarrassed the Florida Gators repeatedly with broken tackles back in 2009. Questions about work ethic and a few injuries have kept him from reaching his potential, but to me he's still like a 215 lbs version of Darren Sproles. He has the same quickness at a bigger size and with uncanny tackle breaking ability fueled by his ever-churning feet. He's become a pretty damn good blocker over the years as well. I like that he's been through the school of hard knocks a little bit at Arkansas, with some disappointment along the way, some lessons learned. In the NFL at his position, success is fleeting and you're not often given the chance to be "the man" by yourself. But this guy is going to be a steal wherever he goes, you can mark me on that. Miami appears set to let Reggie Bush walk and Daniel Thomas is not even worth a roster spot. I'm as high on Lamar Miller as anyone but he can't be your only guy and both he and Jonas Gray are big question marks at this point. It can't hurt to bolster this position.

4th Round (High Pick): LB Jake Knott, Iowa State - This is a natural replacement for Kevin Burnett some time down the road when the Dolphins decide Burnett isn't making enough plays relative to his pay grade. Knott is as a pass covering linebacker almost exactly what Luke Kuechly was, in terms of instincts and ability. The difference is that Kuechly had better ability as a run stopper. But in today's game, especially if the Dolphins already have a wall of force on the front lines with Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Bjoern Werner, Karlos Dansby and Koa Misi, then having the kind of plus instincts you get from a coverage linebacker in the short areas of the field can be the difference between a pretty good defense and a championship defense. Teams love to throw the football around in the short areas of the field like extended run plays. They love option routes. Getting some linebackers that can show the instincts and ball skills to take the football away in those areas is a premium.

I think you're being generous on Wheaton being 190 lbs. I'm not that high on Werner but I do like the next 3 picks.

CK when do you have us taking a look at our situation at guard. Seems clear that we need a better athlete at both spots but especially at LG.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

CK when do you have us taking a look at our situation at guard. Seems clear that we need a better athlete at both spots but especially at LG.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Think you can look at that position in free agency. Evan Dietrich-Smith is a free agent and Joe Philbin has experience with him in Green Bay, has played well when given the opportunity. Andy Levitre is a free agent.

Let me offer a mock draft of my own:

1st Round (High Pick): DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State - The most complete defensive end in the Draft. He's not just your typical smart/high motor white guy at defensive end. His take-off from the blocks and reactions to the snap are consistently among the best I've seen. He has the pure ability to blow by guys like they're standing still, but he combines that with good eyes for and immediate reaction to the action in the backfield, and excellent hand use. He slimmed down this year and looks more explosive than ever, while still being a wrecking ball against the run, and having the same knack for getting his hands up and batting passes that you see in a J.J. Watt. There have been times they've put him up in a two point stance and allowed him freedom in his rush, and the results have been spectacular. Werner will be terrorizing offenses for the next decade. He's the perfect complement to Cameron Wake, who by the way will turn 31 years old before this year's Super Bowl is played. You do have to start thinking about which defensive end will take over and be dominant when Cameron Wake starts to fall off, which could happen as soon as three or four years from now. He has an A+ character background as well. He became the architect of his own future NFL career at 15 to 16 years old. Nobody did anything for him, literally. And he's already married, which is considered a good thing from a character standpoint where NFL scouts are concerned.

2nd Round (High Pick): CB Desmond Trufant, Washington - Mr. Trufant is becoming a popular man, as I've mentioned. If you try and wait for him to fall down the boards you may miss out. I also like Terry Hawthorne around this area of the Draft, and that may come into play because you may not even get Trufant at the top of the 2nd round. Corners with his kind of movement ability, burst, explosiveness and innate physicality tend to rise. There may not be enough corners in this Draft with his level of speed, either. Down the road if he's not working out as a corner, you can probably move him to free safety and still get production out of him. He has the hips for either spot.

2nd Round (Low Pick): WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech - This is a guy that I have had to slowly get more and more familiar with as a player because I hadn't done any preseason work on him. The more I saw, the more I liked what I saw. He's got excellent foot quickness and balance. The quickness helps him make a lot of people miss with the ball in his hands. He's actually got underrated size. The only weakness and the reason you'd get him this far down the board to begin with is his deep speed and inability to create separation with straight up speed. Still it wouldn't surprise me if he were gone by the time we reached this pick. I envision Patton as a guy that could work the slot or the split end position and provide just as much at those positions as we would see from Davone Bess or Brian Hartline.

3rd Round (High Pick): WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State - This receivers unit needs an overhaul. I think we can agree on that. Absent a considerable free agent signing (Greg Jennings?), I'm looking at conducting the overall through the Draft. Wheaton is one of the most explosive wide receivers in this Draft. He's lightning speed and quickness combined with a knack for pulling in the ball despite physical coverage. He has a lot of the same foot quickness as Patton but with more long speed but less size. You could imagine these two working together for a while. The problem for Wheaton is he could be anywhere from Mike Wallace all the way down to Tiquan Underwood. You don't know how he'll handle the physicality of the NFL at his size (6'0", 190 lbs) until he actually gets there. But this guy can blow the top off zone coverage, and unlike what you see in some other burners, he can run routes. An alternative to taking Wheaton here could be to go after Virginia Tech's Corey Fuller some time later. Fuller is a natural athlete with blazing speed and I have always found him a more compelling player than his more impressively sized counterpart, Marcus Davis. Fuller is on a fast ascent after starting out a track and field player then converting to football.

3rd Round (Low Pick): RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas - Dennis Johnson has spent so much time on my radar screen that, quite frankly, no matter which team he goes to I will be glad to see him finally out of the college football ranks. I have had a high grade on his potential as a running back since he embarrassed the Florida Gators repeatedly with broken tackles back in 2009. Questions about work ethic and a few injuries have kept him from reaching his potential, but to me he's still like a 215 lbs version of Darren Sproles. He has the same quickness at a bigger size and with uncanny tackle breaking ability fueled by his ever-churning feet. He's become a pretty damn good blocker over the years as well. I like that he's been through the school of hard knocks a little bit at Arkansas, with some disappointment along the way, some lessons learned. In the NFL at his position, success is fleeting and you're not often given the chance to be "the man" by yourself. But this guy is going to be a steal wherever he goes, you can mark me on that. Miami appears set to let Reggie Bush walk and Daniel Thomas is not even worth a roster spot. I'm as high on Lamar Miller as anyone but he can't be your only guy and both he and Jonas Gray are big question marks at this point. It can't hurt to bolster this position.

4th Round (High Pick): LB Jake Knott, Iowa State - This is a natural replacement for Kevin Burnett some time down the road when the Dolphins decide Burnett isn't making enough plays relative to his pay grade. Knott is as a pass covering linebacker almost exactly what Luke Kuechly was, in terms of instincts and ability. The difference is that Kuechly had better ability as a run stopper. But in today's game, especially if the Dolphins already have a wall of force on the front lines with Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Bjoern Werner, Karlos Dansby and Koa Misi, then having the kind of plus instincts you get from a coverage linebacker in the short areas of the field can be the difference between a pretty good defense and a championship defense. Teams love to throw the football around in the short areas of the field like extended run plays. They love option routes. Getting some linebackers that can show the instincts and ball skills to take the football away in those areas is a premium.

I would **** myself if the draft panned out like that.

If we pick Werner, what happens to Olivier Vernon? I would crap my pants if we got Werner though.

not a fan...if you're gonna get a de he better have high end rush tools...i think lemonier has a decent arsenal i guess but lacks explosion and burst...if you're taking jake matthews which i can absolutely get behind cause i think he's a terrific fit you are letting jake long walk...matthews looks like a plug and play nfl right tackle in a zbs...why would i use my top pick in 2013 on a swing tackle in year 1???

i think lester is a guy that because of the things you mentioned is there in round 3...but what's the real upside there...nothing he does is elite level upside imo...although i do think he has instincts...he may also be a guy that's protected like a lot of those bama kids have been of late by the talent around him...

i like tavon austin in round 2 cause that kids explosive and he has a lot of specials versatility but not over a boundary wr...not when bess is playing so well in the slot...i'd rather if i'm going slot wait til the 3rd and pluck a swope...if i go slot at all...swope is another guy that knows how to run option routes and very smart...

key with whatever wrs we bring is is they need to be coverage id and route smart and they need to run solid routes...

as for desmond trufant i like that i think but i want to see how tall he measures in at come combine time...i have some is he 5 ft 10 reservations there...i would agree that odds on milliner or banks cause of their length and the fact they will test well and play against such high end comp each week getting out of the top 15 very slim

I don't really see how you can say that Lemonier lacks explosion and burst. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsR9cmASpc

I think that explosion and burst are his strengths as an undersized DE. He has plenty of both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM2XdkoiiUI

If we pick Werner, what happens to Olivier Vernon? I would crap my pants if we got Werner though.
Depth for our DE rotation. That's how the Giants' DL stays so good. They have at least four guys who could start at DE on most teams in the league.

I'm tempted to lock Stedman Bailey into my 2nd round of every mock simulation, etc...but the fact of the matter is we don't know A) if he'll come out, or B) how high he's going to reach. Fact of the matter is there's probably a lot of fans of a lot of different teams trying to lock Stedman Bailey into the 2nd round of their simulations.

I like your draft CK. If Miami ends up with a top 10 pick, Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner and Dee Milliner would be my top 3 targets. I agree that Werner would be the perfect fit for this defense and complement Wake nicely. What's your take on Da'Rick Rogers and Marques Wilson? Would it be worth the gamble to take one of those guys in the 2nd round? Also, who are some sleepers at tight end who could help this team?

in regards to CK's mock..

I love the werner and jake knott picks. I go back and forth which LB from ISU I would rather have between knott and klein. I like them both a lot.

In my mock I opted for de andre hopkins in the second and followed him up with david amerson. so there are some similarities there as far as positions addressed, but I couldn't convince myself trufant would be available so I went with hopkins and amerson. markus wheaton is a guy I could get behind in a scenario he fell to the phins.

this draft is assuming that we grab a high priced FA WR...THEN we tag Long for 15??? the only way i can say grab a T in the first round is in where Long walks which i think he will because to us he isnt worth 10 mill

if im making a good assumption you want to pay said WR 8-12 M and then Long 15 M thats already almost 25 M on two players....no bueno

Back
Top Bottom