Mock draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock draft

Pfft!

Mock drafts are an absolute staple of fandom.

...and the truth of them is in their title.... MOCK...
I thought mock draft was a state of finheaven in May.
Maybe Houston's rd2. I'm not for taking any RB top 10, unless it's a Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson or Earl Cambell caliber player.

There is nobody in this draft that is a "can't miss" dominating back.

Taking average backs high went out of style15 years ago, and for good reason, IMO.
Eh. Ten years ago, maybe

I'm not drafting a Center in the first round, other places are a priority.

I think these are a little silly as we do not know the order nor has the CFB season played out.
Having said that, I just saw one where we picked WR, ILB, C, and RB with the first four. I can agree with that.
You know what? For the first time in decades, I honestly can say, I’m uninterested in next year’s draft in the middle of the season. That used to be like our Super Bowl, i.e. the draft, all of that hope trafficking as the perennial losing team that you root for can change their fate And turn things around If they just draft a difference maker here or there.

Well guess what? Flo/Grier have already turned it around. We are legitamately in the hunt and all of my focus is for once going into this Regular season. Lots of national coverage to consume Of our team which is a shock since the coverage is positive and not about a. Cocaine sniffing coach or a bullying scandal in the locker room but actual national discussions of our team and it’s QB as being something to watch and be reckoned with.

don’t get me wrong, after the season I’ll be all about looking forward to the draft, all I’m saying is for once since JJ and Marino lost to the Jags in the first round 62-7 or however many pathetic points we put up in that stinker, I don’t feel the need to escape the regular season reality or identity of who the dolphins are and dream about who we could be, or will be next year. It’s a strange feeling actually...

You know what? For the first time in decades, I honestly can say, I’m uninterested in next year’s draft in the middle of the season. That used to be like our Super Bowl, i.e. the draft, all of that hope trafficking as the perennial losing team that you root for can change their fate And turn things around. Well guess what? Flo/Grier have already turned it around. We are legitamately in the hunt and all of my focus is for once going into this Regular season. Lots of national coverage to consume.

don’t get me wrong, after the season I’ll be all about looking forward to the draft, all I’m saying is for once since JJ and Marino lost to the Jags in the first round 62-7 or however many pathetic points we put up in that stinker, I don’t feel the need to escape the regular season reality or identity of who the dolphins are and dream about who we could be, or will be next year. It’s a strange feeling actually...
I love the draft but you are spot on brother. I have not been this excited since Jimmy Johnson was introduced as our coach.

I love the draft but you are spot on brother. I have not been this excited since Jimmy Johnson was introduced as our coach.
Karim Abdul Jabbar immediately comes to mind when people say Jimmy Johnson.

I lost that jersey and wasn't the least bit concerned.

Umm.. why is a discussion about mock drafts being discussed in this forum and not the draft forum?

I wouldn't say C is a need of ours really. When you look at the total improvement of the OL, the biggest people we should list are the OL Coach and the C, as they put people in positions to succeed. Since the success has been universal all across the OL, it seems our OL are prepared (OC) and put in the right positions on each play (C) so I'd re-sign Karras to an improved permanent 4-year salary. Not replace him as a top priority.

Anyone looking at this honestly needs to consider our DL, LB and S needs to be among our top 5. Yes, our defense is working tremendously well right now, but we still lack DE's and at least 1 more good DT. Van Noy is old, and while I do like Van Ginkel, we can upgrade from him. Ditto for Baker at the other starting LB, and we should be upgrading from Elandon Roberts. Both safeties (Rowe and McCain) are playing well, but we should be adding new safeties. Coach Flo always liked to play with 3 safeties in New England, so Brandon Jones isn't really a replacement as much as he is our emergency 2nd safety ... and both of the other two are getting old. IMHO, our defense still needs resources at every level. I'm expecting at least 1 S, 1 LB, and 1 DL (DE and/or DT) among our draft picks ... and possibly an FA if we need more.
Signing Karras should be an offseason priority. Hopefully, Miami can find some additional offensive line help in the middle of the draft.

You know what? For the first time in decades, I honestly can say, I’m uninterested in next year’s draft in the middle of the season. That used to be like our Super Bowl, i.e. the draft, all of that hope trafficking as the perennial losing team that you root for can change their fate And turn things around If they just draft a difference maker here or there.

Well guess what? Flo/Grier have already turned it around. We are legitamately in the hunt and all of my focus is for once going into this Regular season. Lots of national coverage to consume Of our team which is a shock since the coverage is positive and not about a. Cocaine sniffing coach or a bullying scandal in the locker room but actual national discussions of our team and it’s QB as being something to watch and be reckoned with.

That's a great point. I'm still interested in the draft. Love it. But this season just got really interesting. More interesting than the draft for a change.

That's a great point. I'm still interested in the draft. Love it. But this season just got really interesting. More interesting than the draft for a change.
That is the product of being relevant this season which has not been the case for a long time...

Good thoughts. Which position can be taken last?
Well from a needs point of view, we appear to be set at QB, TE, and WR. But there are always needs at certain positions (CB, WR, pass rusher) where you simply cannot ever get enough good players, so you typically take one when the value is there, regardless of need. Our particular defense is always starved for certain roles (DE/OLB hybrid, SS/LB hybrid, and DT/DE hybrid), so if you see any of those available, they're higher priority for us than most teams. So we may value those hybrid players higher than other teams, and draft them earlier than most predictions for those guys.

As for what position can be taken last, on offense I'd say TE and QB are flush with talent, and draftees in those positions may be flat out wasted. Our WR position might still be taken just to pair a good young WR1 with our rookie QB, especially considering the injuries Parker and Williams have seen in their careers. But, our WR corps is pretty solid.

On defense, we have a need of 1 more guy at every position, so any draftee adds value to the team. But, any OLB will become an understudy to Kyle Van Noy and direct competition for Andrew Van Ginkel, so it's not an instant upgrade. Our MLB is wide open, despite Jerome Baker and Elandon Roberts both having shown flashes. But, that position has lost some of its value in the past decade as the rules favor offenses and pass-first NFL offenses have minimized middle run stuffers. So that position is constantly outmatched athletically. If he's a solid run defender like Raekwon McMillan, he'll be constantly targeted with quick/fast RB/WR to expose him for an easy short pass repeatedly. If he's a light quick guy like Jerome Baker, he's going to be run over by pulling guards, FB's, or powerful or shifty RB's. So, it is rare to have a complete MLB and he isn't as much of a game changer as he used to be in past eras.

While Ogbah has played well, we definitely have room for another DE pass rusher. Despite Wilkins looking pretty solid, we definitely need another DT with Raekwon Davis having some ups and downs and Godchaux maybe not having the flexibility this defense prefers. Lawson is OK, but not great at DE/OLB, so we'll replace him when we find a good replacement, but until then, we'll probably keep him around.

On the back end, you simply cannot ever have enough CB's, and with X and Byron Jones both having health/durability issues ... we could very well go for another CB. With Rowe and McCain's age and up/down performance, we definitely need another S to push for a starting role as well as provide depth at the position. Need-wise, S is a bigger need than CB. All LB spots are open, though MLB is more wide-open whereas OLB/DE is far more important.

Sorry for the long reply, but it is less simple than the pure need positions. :/

Well from a needs point of view, we appear to be set at QB, TE, and WR. But there are always needs at certain positions (CB, WR, pass rusher) where you simply cannot ever get enough good players, so you typically take one when the value is there, regardless of need. Our particular defense is always starved for certain roles (DE/OLB hybrid, SS/LB hybrid, and DT/DE hybrid), so if you see any of those available, they're higher priority for us than most teams. So we may value those hybrid players higher than other teams, and draft them earlier than most predictions for those guys.

As for what position can be taken last, on offense I'd say TE and QB are flush with talent, and draftees in those positions may be flat out wasted. Our WR position might still be taken just to pair a good young WR1 with our rookie QB, especially considering the injuries Parker and Williams have seen in their careers. But, our WR corps is pretty solid.

On defense, we have a need of 1 more guy at every position, so any draftee adds value to the team. But, any OLB will become an understudy to Kyle Van Noy and direct competition for Andrew Van Ginkel, so it's not an instant upgrade. Our MLB is wide open, despite Jerome Baker and Elandon Roberts both having shown flashes. But, that position has lost some of its value in the past decade as the rules favor offenses and pass-first NFL offenses have minimized middle run stuffers. So that position is constantly outmatched athletically. If he's a solid run defender like Raekwon McMillan, he'll be constantly targeted with quick/fast RB/WR to expose him for an easy short pass repeatedly. If he's a light quick guy like Jerome Baker, he's going to be run over by pulling guards, FB's, or powerful or shifty RB's. So, it is rare to have a complete MLB and he isn't as much of a game changer as he used to be in past eras.

While Ogbah has played well, we definitely have room for another DE pass rusher. Despite Wilkins looking pretty solid, we definitely need another DT with Raekwon Davis having some ups and downs and Godchaux maybe not having the flexibility this defense prefers. Lawson is OK, but not great at DE/OLB, so we'll replace him when we find a good replacement, but until then, we'll probably keep him around.

On the back end, you simply cannot ever have enough CB's, and with X and Byron Jones both having health/durability issues ... we could very well go for another CB. With Rowe and McCain's age and up/down performance, we definitely need another S to push for a starting role as well as provide depth at the position. Need-wise, S is a bigger need than CB. All LB spots are open, though MLB is more wide-open whereas OLB/DE is far more important.

Sorry for the long reply, but it is less simple than the pure need positions. :/
Never apologize for an incredibly well-written explanation of what position importance is to this team and the value placed on them. You definitely broke this analysis down really well that it should be a blueprint for readers on this site! Well Done!!

I always love your posts.

I do think Miami needs more talent at wide receiver, though. Parker is great, but Williams drops too many passes. I'm still hopeful that Grant might thrive with Tua.

I was a little surprised with the Ford trade. Maybe that shows the front office is confident with some of the unproven young receivers that we haven't seen much of?

What are your thoughts on Roche? Could he fit in a Van Noy role? I don't see him at DE, but he can rush the passer.

Great point on corner and we know Flores values that position. Wouldn't surprise me if pick 1a ends up being a corner.

Agree the Dolphins need another DT, preferably someone who can stop the run and at least pressure the pocket. Who do you like in this draft class?

Back
Top Bottom