Mortensen: Manning will not let Colts draft Luck | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mortensen: Manning will not let Colts draft Luck

I'm pretty sure the Colts will draft Luck, it's just a matter of will they keep him. Same with the Rams.

What scares me is what it would cost to trade up for Luck. I don't want to see the Dolphins get anything less than the 1st overall pick.

This is the drum I have been banging. Luck will be the first pick NO MATTER WHAT.

Mike Francesa gets no credability with anything. They guy got hung up on by Revis and I heard it live it was hilarious!!! NFL players hate this guy! He is so ignorant to his fans, and of course MIKEY knows everything! I call up with Dolphin questions all the time and ever since his best friend Parcells left, he hasn't had anything good to say about them. Hes a joke! and hes my best friends Uncle which makes it even harder on me.

He got hung up on by Revis because he called Revis out for always pulling on jersey's and making contact after 5 yards from the LOS and never getting a penalty called. Revis is definitely an amazing corner but he absolutely acted like a little ***** because he definitely gets away with way more illegal contact than any other CB in the NFL.

They take Luck in a heartbeat and endure any fallout from Peyton's departure... Fans have short memories and winning will make it THAT much shorter... He'll be back in a few years for his Ring of Honor Ceremony...

I think they will do EVERYTHING possible to be respectful of Peyton... He built the franchise but he also taught them the most important lesson... What a difference ONE player can make. They take Luck and Peyton gets an ice cream cake at his retirement party.

They take Luck in a heartbeat and endure any fallout from Peyton's departure... Fans have short memories and winning will make it THAT much shorter... He'll be back in a few years for his Ring of Honor Ceremony...

I think they will do EVERYTHING possible to be respectful of Peyton... He built the franchise but he also taught them the most important lesson... What a difference ONE player can make. They take Luck and Peyton gets an ice cream cake at his retirement party.

I agree. It comes a point to where you have to make the tough decisions, and the one's that are in the best interest of your franchise further down the road. The top organizations in this league rarely get it wrong when it comes time to part with the greatest players in their franchise's history...especially one with as hefty a contract as Peyton has. Favre, Montana, etc... they've all been through it.

Peyton's neck is serious, serious business. Even if it wasn't, it's not as if he's going to be getting better. Father time catches up with everybody. It's nowhere but down from here on out with a healthy Peyton Manning, much less a Peyton Manning with a serious neck injury. This is why Marino had to call it quits... he had a neck problem that turned his arm into a wet noodle by the time he was done.

Peyton Manning won't be a better QB than Andrew Luck 3 years from now, 5 years from now, or 10 years from now. Go ahead and set yourself up for another decade with the closest thing to a young, in his prime Peyton Manning as you can get.

It's going to be the hardest decision you're going to make, but it's also going to be the one that you're glad you made.

Like you said, Peyton Manning has already taught them the importance of getting it right on ONE player... and you only get ONE chance to do it.

Obviously the best QB to come out of college in 10+ years is going to be the first pick, no matter who has the pick. If the Colts don't need him, they will trade the pick for a fortune, to a QB-starved team like the Seahawks, or Browns or Dolphins. If we want a future, we need to be dead last.

Not sure why more people don't get that Peyton is a question mark going forward, not sure thing.

Pros: Future HOF

Cons: Age, injury, salary, team around him must be rebuilt

Opportunity: chance to draft a young franchise QB that falls into your lap

The FO handling it carefully goes without saying because of what Manning has meant to the franchise, but unless I had doubts about Luck the Colts are better off building around their future, not their past.

I agree. It comes a point to where you have to make the tough decisions, and the one's that are in the best interest of your franchise further down the road. The top organizations in this league rarely get it wrong when it comes time to part with the greatest players in their franchise's history...especially one with as hefty a contract as Peyton has. Favre, Montana, etc... they've all been through it.

Peyton's neck is serious, serious business. Even if it wasn't, it's not as if he's going to be getting better. Father time catches up with everybody. It's nowhere but down from here on out with a healthy Peyton Manning, much less a Peyton Manning with a serious neck injury. This is why Marino had to call it quits... he had a neck problem that turned his arm into a wet noodle by the time he was done.

Peyton Manning won't be a better QB than Andrew Luck 3 years from now, 5 years from now, or 10 years from now. Go ahead and set yourself up for another decade with the closest thing to a young, in his prime Peyton Manning as you can get.

It's going to be the hardest decision you're going to make, but it's also going to be the one that you're glad you made.

Like you said, Peyton Manning has already taught them the importance of getting it right on ONE player... and you only get ONE chance to do it.

It's what they should do if they have the opportunity, but that's a team with a lot of veterans. Dwight Freeney is 31, Robert Mathis is 30, Reggie Wayne is 32, Gary Brackett is 31, Dallas Clark is 32 and Jeff Saturday is 36. The only top flight player on that team that's younger than 30 is Antoine Bethea.

Taking Luck means that by the time he's playing as well as Manning, all of those stars will either be gone or useless. Taking Luck, then, means more than the loss of Manning (who I've been saying for weeks would force his way out of Indy if the Colts took Luck), it means a complete rebuild for a team that's already shown this year that they don't have a lot of young talent.

They might make the calculation that the best thing for the next three years is to reorient themselves for one last push. It's also important to note that Peyton Manning does not merely wield an ordinary superstar quarterback's influence. This is a guy with tremendous pull in the organization... who was probably only second to Bill Polian in power and might have even topped Polian with with the latter's semi-retirement. Jim Caldwell is a wet noodle who isn't allowed to make a single decision without Peyton's okay. That's why they hired him, because Caldwell would allow himself to be treated that way. Peyton has far more ability to impose his will than a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees can. He's Godzilla.

It's important to ask ourselves why Peyton hasn't already been put on I.R.

I'll tell you why. It's because he won't let them. It's because he plans on forcing himself on the field if he possibly can. He's already extracted guarantees from management that if he's able to play this year, they'll let him. My guess has been that he'll be able to and force a showdown that I think he'll win.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's what they should do if they have the opportunity, but that's a team with a lot of veterans. Dwight Freeney is 31, Robert Mathis is 30, Reggie Wayne is 32, Gary Brackett is 31, Dallas Clark is 32 and Jeff Saturday is 36. The only top flight player on that team that's younger than 30 is Antoine Bethea.

Taking Luck means that by the time he's playing as well as Manning, all of those stars will either be gone or useless. Taking Luck, then, means more than the loss of Manning (who I've been saying for weeks would force his way out of Indy if the Colts took Luck), it means a complete rebuild for a team that's already shown this year that they don't have a lot of young talent.

They might make the calculation that the best thing for the next three years is to reorient themselves for one last push. It's also important to note that Peyton Manning does not merely wield an ordinary superstar quarterback's influence. This is a guy with tremendous pull in the organization... who was probably only second to Bill Polian in power and might have even topped Polian with with the latter's semi-retirement. Jim Caldwell is a wet noodle who isn't allowed to make a single decision without Peyton's okay. That's why they hired him, because Caldwell would allow himself to be treated that way. Peyton has far more ability to impose his will than a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees can. He's Godzilla.

It's important to ask ourselves why Peyton hasn't already been put on I.R.

I'll tell you why. It's because he won't let them. It's because he plans on forcing himself on the field if he possibly can. He's already extracted guarantees from management that if he's able to play this year, they'll let him. My guess has been that he'll be able to and force a showdown that I think he'll win.

I pointed all that out about Caldwell when the Colts were 0-2. He's not news to me.

The Colts are going to have to rebuild soon anyway, as you just pointed out. It's a matter of whether or not they want to do it now while they're at rock bottom, or do it in a year or so when we're hearing about Peyton's neck again, except then there won't be any second guessing as to whether or not he's done.

If they do it now while they're at rock bottom, and they can still trade Manning to some unsuspecting team that wants to try to make a run with him, they need to do it if they have the #1 pick. If they wait until it's a foregone conclusion that Manning is done, they won't get anything for him, and have to rebuild anyway. Doing it with less ammunition than they would've had in a trade for Manning, and without the best QB since Manning.

If I'm the owner or GM, the bottom line is I'm still the one in control when you get right down the brass tacks of it. You can bet your a** on that.

If I've made up my mind that this is the precise time to start my rebuild due to a littany of circumstances being absolutely perfect, I'm taking it. I'm not going to wait another year and have to do it anyway when the circumstances aren't perfect.

Once I've decided that's my plan, Peyton Manning isn't forcing his way out of anything. I've already decided that I'm going to draft Luck #1 overall and trading Peyton Manning.

It's all my decision, not his.

Any chance the Luck/Manning relationship results in Luck pulling an "Eli" to avoid going to the Colts? Wouldn't Luck kind of want to avoid forcing his friend out of a place he's been the "franchise" for for the last 15 years? Luck says, "Not going to play behind Peyton and not going to force him out, so pick me and you'll regret it." We swoop in with the 2nd pick and more and they get Kalil to protect Manning and we get our QB.

The reality is that the Colts would take Luck in a heartbeat.. as would the Rams, especially if Spags is replaced - both of those which would then flip their existing starting QBs for at least a 1st. I'd venture to say that the Cardinals would too since the Kolb experiment is not surprising too many of us. And then as someone else pointed out, Cleveland has 2 firsts that Holmgren can ante up since McCoy's not setting the world on fire..

It's just funny how some self-anointed "realists" over the past year or two slap on the rose-colored blinders when it comes to Luck. :idk:

I am not sure why people are so convinced that a healthy Manning couldn't contend for another SB in the next few years with a number of good picks in key places which is the goal of most owners - to win now. They would have to be quite convinced that Manning was done physically to draft Luck and kiss all those vets who will sign elsewhere gone too

:thumbup:

Spot on amigo... The Fact is... the competitive fire of the 'great ones'... rarely allows them to come to this conclusion on their own. IT IS PART OF WHAT MADE THEM GREAT IN THE FIRST PLACE. The Various Halls of Fame are filled with the Montanas, Favres or Michael Jordans who had to finish elsewhere simply because they refused to accept they were 'finished'.

The Colts would be in the best possible scenario with the 'next big thing' right in line... Rodgers brings home a Lombardi and suddenly they're asking, Brett who? while they pass the hot toddies on the frozen tundra in Green Bay...

I guarantee Polian doesn't lose even a millisecond of sleep over what the decision will be... Breaking it to Peyton??? He's probably ordering Xanax by the barrel on the net.

If the Colts want to trade him and he was healthy, I could live with Manning and Cowher next year.

I pointed all that out about Caldwell when the Colts were 0-2. He's not news to me.

The Colts are going to have to rebuild soon anyway, as you just pointed out. It's a matter of whether or not they want to do it now while they're at rock bottom, or do it in a year or so when we're hearing about Peyton's neck again, except then there won't be any second guessing as to whether or not he's done.

If they do it now while they're at rock bottom, and they can still trade Manning to some unsuspecting team that wants to try to make a run with him, they need to do it if they have the #1 pick. If they wait until it's a foregone conclusion that Manning is done, they won't get anything for him, and have to rebuild anyway. Doing it with less ammunition than they would've had in a trade for Manning, and without the best QB since Manning.

If I'm the owner or GM, the bottom line is I'm still the one in control when you get right down the brass tacks of it. You can bet your a** on that.

If I've made up my mind that this is the precise time to start my rebuild due to a littany of circumstances being absolutely perfect, I'm taking it. I'm not going to wait another year and have to do it anyway when the circumstances aren't perfect.

Once I've decided that's my plan, Peyton Manning isn't forcing his way out of anything. I've already decided that I'm going to draft Luck #1 overall and trading Peyton Manning.

It's all my decision, not his.

That's all well and good, except you're not Jim Irsay, and he's not you.

I'm not arguing the logic of what you're saying, all I'm saying is that logic takes a backseat to personalities in these situations far more often than it should, and I just think Manning has such a stranglehold over that organization that they're going to be more willing to bend to his will than perhaps any organization has ever been willing to bend to a player. Remember that it was Irsay and not Manning who demanded he become the highest paid player in the NFL this offseason when it's been clear that his neck has been bothering him for a few years. Historically that is not an organization that cares much if it's veterans are injury prone anyway. They've kept guys like Bob Sanders and Joseph Addai around years after other teams would... and this is only Peyton's first severe injury.

Manning thinks he can play another five years, and my understanding of his injury is that once it heals it's not all that likely to cause him any more problems going forward. And as I've said, Manning has already extracted a promise from the Colts' front office and Irsay that if he's healthy he'll play this year with the story going on to say that they agree with Manning that the end of a season can bleed into the beginning of the next one so it's important to end on a high note whether or not having a high draft pick or not is "good" for the franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reality is that the Colts would take Luck in a heartbeat.. as would the Rams, especially if Spags is replaced - both of those which would then flip their existing starting QBs for at least a 1st. I'd venture to say that the Cardinals would too since the Kolb experiment is not surprising too many of us. And then as someone else pointed out, Cleveland has 2 firsts that Holmgren can ante up since McCoy's not setting the world on fire..

It's just funny how some self-anointed "realists" over the past year or two slap on the rose-colored blinders when it comes to Luck. :idk:
jesus,too be a Cardinals fan right now.Dolphins fans think we got it bad.They paid A.J Feely Jr. north of $68 million dollars,gave up a clearly top 10 cornerback AND a 2nd round pick.

We should count our blessings.....

Back
Top Bottom