MrEd's Offseason Strategy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MrEd's Offseason Strategy

MrEd

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
MrEd's Offseason "Idea"

I have my draft plan/FA plan on my SIG, but I wanted to emphasize why we should make sure we solidify the CB position in FA "prior" to the NFL Draft. IMO we need to come away with both our starting DE opposite Cameron Wake as well as our starting WR opposite Greg Jennings in the 1st round. So by this I mean we need to use both our 2nd rounders to trade back up into the 1st round in order to be able to grab both Cordarelle Patterson at 12 and one of the top pass rushers to start opposite Cam Wake that will surely not make it out of the 1st round.

But, in order to have the luxury of doing this, we are going to have to imo not only re-sign Sean Smith to man one of the starting positions, but if Marshall isn't going to be the other starting position, cut him, use his salary space and the restructured amount from Dimitri Patterson's salary space to sign the other starting spot, with say maybe Rodgers-Cromartie.

This way you only have to worry about drafting Dimitri's competition at NB in the 3rd round instead of hoping that you strike a "starter" in the 2nd round and by doing so cost yourself the opportunity to find both Cordarelle Patterson and one of the 1st round top pass rushers. :hclap:

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I've seen, Patterson, Allen and a host of other WR projected to be our first round pick.
I think you can get most of these in the mid to late first.
If we are going WR in the first round, I think we should trade down to middle or late first round and pick up an extra second or
third rounder.

If we are going to draft a WR in the first round... Pass and trade that pick for Cruz, if he does indeed get the Restricted Tag.

So far I've seen, Patterson, Allen and a host of other WR projected to be our first round pick.
I think you can get most of these in the mid to late first.
If we are going WR in the first round, I think we should trade down to middle or late first round and pick up an extra second or
third rounder.

Ok, but even if we did that (which I think is risking us losing out on Patterson), we'd still need to use at least two of those 2nd rounders to trade back up into the 1st to not lose out on a top notch pass rusher that won't make it out of the 1st is my point.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

If we are going to draft a WR in the first round... Pass and trade that pick for Cruz, if he does indeed get the Restricted Tag.
Meh, I'd rather sign Jennings and grab Patterson actually. For all we know, they will put a poison pill in his tender and/or cost us more than one pick.

Ok, but even if we did that (which I think is risking us losing out on Patterson), we'd still need to use at least two of those 2nd rounders to trade back up into the 1st to not lose out on a top notch pass rusher that won't make it out of the 1st is my point.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Meh, I'd rather sign Jennings and grab Patterson actually. For all we know, they will put a poison pill in his tender and/or cost us more than one pick.

You seem to really be on the Patterson bandwagon. From what I've read he seems to have the higher upside than
most of the other WR if not the stats in college.
IMO I don't think any of these WR are worth the # 12 pick.
Thats why I say trade down and pick up another high pick and even if Patterson is gone you can get someone close with a late 1st round or the 2 2nd round picks.
I do agree with you about addressing the need for a pass rushing DE or LB in the first round.
Now that would be worthy of the # 12 pick.
I'm also pretty sure we will get a WR in FA.

I go with pass rusher with our 1st round pick, try and resign what we can afford of our own FA and fill the holes in the draft. I do believe resigning Smith is a priority along with Clemons because the secondary along with WR is a big hole. Hopefully we can aquire a top free agent WR but it is probably going to cost us Jake Long which I am fine with except that creates yet another hole. Do the math 10 million for Long or another play maker, Smith 8 million, Clemons 3 million, Fasano 3 million, Bush 4-5 million, Hartline 5.5, Starks 6 million and Gardner 2 million draft class 5- 6 million, then you need about 4 million for misc free agents. That's approx 47 million. You go into the draft with holes at either OT or WR pick your poison. Needs are a DE pass rusher, CB, WR and OT. Depth is needed at LB, S if we resign all the aforementioned FA. You could add G, RB and CB to that list based on who is not resigned.

Some of you don't seem to value the TE position too much. However, I would point out that in a pass happy league, the TE is an integral part of any offense. They are especially valuable to a young developing QB. In fact, the TE's (Vernon Davis, Dennis Pitta) of the 2 SB participants were instrumental in their respective team's success in the playoffs. I think the Phins need to get a TE with one of their 2nd rounders.

Some of you don't seem to value the TE position too much. However, I would point out that in a pass happy league, the TE is an integral part of any offense. They are especially valuable to a young developing QB. In fact, the TE's (Vernon Davis, Dennis Pitta) of the 2 SB participants were instrumental in their respective team's success in the playoffs. I think the Phins need to get a TE with one of their 2nd rounders.
I agree with you and if we were to bring in both Hartline and a big name WR I would go along with burning one of our 3rds on another TE and walking away from the Egnew pick this year but I am not convinced that Ireland will do that

I agree addressing WR and a pass rusher early on makes a lot of sense. I don't know if it makes sense to trade back into the 1st for our pass rusher. The initial rush on elite pass rushers will probably be over earlier than the position we'll be able to trade into BUT due to the pass rushing depth we will have quality options where we're picking in the 2nd.

starting TE's for the playoff teams:
Davis (beast)
Pitta (61-669-7)
Gonzalez (HOF'er some how playing at the peak of his abilities at 36yo)
Hernadez/Gronk (beasts)
Daniels (62-716-6)
Finley
Z. Miller (8-142-1 in the divisional playoff game!)
Gresham (64-737-5)
Rudolph (54-493-9, pro bowl MVP)
Fleener (high potential)
Tamme
Paulson

Clearly there is a trend there that the best teams have TE's that are vital weapons in the passing attack. We must invest in one.

I agree addressing WR and a pass rusher early on makes a lot of sense. I don't know if it makes sense to trade back into the 1st for our pass rusher. The initial rush on elite pass rushers will probably be over earlier than the position we'll be able to trade into BUT due to the pass rushing depth we will have quality options where we're picking in the 2nd.

I think you make a good point. That 12th pick may have to be the one used on that pass rusher and use the 2nd rounders to move into the 1st again for Patterson if he's still available. If Miami decides to re-sign Hartline and sign Wallace instead of Jennings, then I can see them address CB with the trade up instead. Which ever route we take I expect our two 3rd round picks to be on another WR and another CB.

I would love to see us take a TE after taking a DE, WR, an someone on the OL .

I think we will have a number of TEs available to pick from in FA. This is why I do not think of TE once the draft comes.

I block all the SIG's

:)

Draft picks:
1: WR* (Cordarelle Patterson)
2: DE*
2: CB*
3: WR
3: CB
4: G
5: LB
6: QB
7: BPA
7: BPA

Re-sign: Long, Bush, Smith, McDaniel, Clemons, and Devlin

Sign: Jennings or Wallace*, Rodgers-Cromartie*, and a TE like Cook.

*(if we sign Rodgers-Cromartie to start opposite Smith, we trade both our 2's to move up into the 1st for a top notch pass rusher)
*(if we sign Wallace and pass on Cromartie, we re-sign Hartline, draft a DE at 12 and trade up for a top notch CB)

Back
Top Bottom