MrEd's Offseason Strategy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MrEd's Offseason Strategy

I think you make a good point. That 12th pick may have to be the one used on that pass rusher and use the 2nd rounders to move into the 1st again for Patterson if he's still available. If Miami decides to re-sign Hartline and sign Wallace instead of Jennings, then I can see them address CB with the trade up instead. Which ever route we take I expect our two 3rd round picks to be on another WR and another CB.

Agree with this.
Would love to get a guy like Mingo from LSU with the #12 pick.
Then address WR and CB In the Second and Third round picks.
Also in free agency

We have Fasano and Clay, along with Egnew. I do not see the Fins even addressing the TE position this year. Fasano was shackled next to Jonathan Martin last season just to keep him upright. Once the oline is finally settled, the TE's can really start becoming effective and the upgrading can begin.
Our biggest need is finding another elite DE that will give us a devastating pass rush...that is how you beat the elite franchise QB's...with pressure from a 4 man front. That should be our first pick.
The next priority is to add more play making ability at WR. Hartline and Binns are fine. Bess is a good player, but his lack of size and speed is no threat to defenses. I can see us signing a FA, plus drafting 2 WR's. that position needs a total over haul.

I have my draft plan/FA plan on my SIG, but I wanted to emphasize why we should make sure we solidify the CB position in FA "prior" to the NFL Draft. IMO we need to come away with both our starting DE opposite Cameron Wake as well as our starting WR opposite Greg Jennings in the 1st round. So by this I mean we need to use both our 2nd rounders to trade back up into the 1st round in order to be able to grab both Cordarelle Patterson at 12 and one of the top pass rushers to start opposite Cam Wake that will surely not make it out of the 1st round.

But, in order to have the luxury of doing this, we are going to have to imo not only re-sign Sean Smith to man one of the starting positions, but if Marshall isn't going to be the other starting position, cut him, use his salary space and the restructured amount from Dimitri Patterson's salary space to sign the other starting spot, with say maybe Rodgers-Cromartie.

This way you only have to worry about drafting Dimitri's competition at NB in the 3rd round instead of hoping that you strike a "starter" in the 2nd round and by doing so cost yourself the opportunity to find both Cordarelle Patterson and one of the 1st round top pass rushers. :hclap:

Not a bad strategy, but it all counts on re-signing Long (as you have listed), and in that case, we better not overspend for him. If Long goes for more money somewhere else, you're strategy is no longer relevant.

Not a bad strategy, but it all counts on re-signing Long (as you have listed), and in that case, we better not overspend for him. If Long goes for more money somewhere else, you're strategy is no longer relevant.

Yes this is true. In my view, Long isn't going anywhere. If he's not re-signed, he's getting tagged and we worry about replacing him in 2014. This season we only add a developmental G in the mid to late rounds to play behind and then replace Incognito in 2014 when he likewise becomes a FA along with Long who would get the tag this year if he asks for too much.

In my plan, the OL gets full focus in 2014. This 2013 off season, the focus is on the playmakers: WR, DE, CB, TE. We must re-sign Bush, Clemons, Smith, and McDaniel and "try" to re-sign Long. If we can't come to a reasonable longterm contract, he gets tagged and we hold him for the year. Then, we focus the 2014 draft fully on the OL.

Now, should Ireland not be thinking this way with Long, he better have some contingency plan on who will replace him via "FA", because we don't have any draft picks to spend on another RT we need our picks for a DE, two WRs, two CBs, a G, a LB, and a QB. God forbid him thinking some 3rd or 4th round pick will replace Long and think we're set. We need to keep cohesion in the OL this year. Worry about ripping it apart in 2014 (if it actually even indeed needs to be).

I definitely see some of this happening. Not that I want to wish away the next 7 months, but I can't wait til next season!

I'm anxious too. I was looking through some of the teams picking before us and the value picks available and I've noticed that Detroit, who has a good pass rusher [Cliff Avril 9.5 sacks this year 11 and 10 the year before that and before that one] who is going to be a FA this year and with Van Bosch on one side, I can very well see them letting Avril hit FA and selecting a Mingo or Werner where they are since they are having to re-sign Louis Delmas, Houston, and a bunch of others as well. If they do indeed do this, this changes things to me and Miami can look to add that pass rusher via FA instead by signing Avril with the money from Starks departure (Odrick is his replacement) and that leaves the 12th pick sitting pretty for Cordarelle Patterson or Dee Milliner should he drop. Of course, Detroit can re-sign him and replace Cherilus with Eric Fisher (not to mention Backus is on his last year too) and monkey wrench this but hey... Right now what I'm mostly anxious for is friggin March and the start of FA so I can calculate better what the draft may look like better. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom