My Blueprint to an Immediate Offense Rivaling New England's | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Blueprint to an Immediate Offense Rivaling New England's

@abnormal You can't possibly be talking about the same team...every player I named(all their starters on offense) have tremendous speed, do you think Welker and Woodhead are slow? They have huge bursts of speed which is why their YAC is so good, our current core's YAC is absolutely awful...they seem to fall after every time they catch the ball for no reason as if they lack the instinct in making the bigger play after the pass has already been completed. Brady cannot make his receivers faster, and they're all damn fast as Hernandez and Gronk display fantastic athletic ability. Go look up Robert Woods, he is a complete juke artisit and a Reggie Bush type threat in open field...hell, he seems to display incredible YAC on any area of the field period. Justin Hunter is the same kind of receiver, but more physically gifted.

No they're not slow or untalented....Welker didn't do diddly when he was a Phin, well maybe that's an exaggeration, but his career went into overdrive when he plays with Brady, and Woodhead was cut by the Jets, and weas an unknown until he went to NE. And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Branch play in seattle for a year and didn't do anything??? I'm just saying, take those guys out of NE and away from Brady and Belichech and they are average players, except Gronk, he is a stud, that's all I'm saying. Put Bess and hartline with Brady in that system and they would look a lot better, too. Great QB's make the other players better. RT is not there yet, he needs some weapons. We even left out Julian Edelmann (sp). He stepped in for Wes and looked pretty good. Part of it is continuity too. Brady knows his system like the back of his hand, it's the only one he has ever played in, all they do is add wrinkles to it now and then. I don't follow college ball so I can't comment on Robert Woods or Justin Hunter, but if we get them, I'll be rooting for 'em to do well. Oh and regarding YAC, I think it was Marino or Fouts that said a great QB will throw the ball so the WR will not take a big hit when he catches it, you know, like not leading him with the pass into a big hit by the defender, our wr's seemed so suprised when they catch the ball they just want to get to the ground so they don't get smacked by a big hit, punk ass deion sanders calls it a "making business decision." Once our QB learns the system, and our wr's become accustomed to making plays they will hopefully start to trust that RT won't throw them into a big hit, and they will stay on their feet to get some YAC. If not our current Wr's then whoever we have when RT blossoms.

Hopefully some of that is coherent and not just babble...

Great post, great ideas.Personally,i grab Jennings great hands and route runner able to teach our youngsters yet contribute greatly.first rd. i pick Hunters teamate C.Patterson all the tools,speed size,,yac he is just raw with route running which is where Jennings comes in.2nd rd Ertz the t.e. from Stanford for our seam threat then in 4th or 5th R.SWOPES from Texas a-m

Agreed. Nice post OP, and if it happens I'll be very happy. But, I like joeylats' post even better. Cordarrelle Patterson has speed, decent size and physicality, good hands and RAC. He is raw, but once he gets the route running and offensive hot reads down, I think he will be a fantastic WR for us. While he is big, he isn't a real jump-ball type of player or a huge strike zone guy, but he is solidly built and probably can withstand the physical nature of the NFL better than most WR's.

I think we will try to grab Swope. He is a guy that is ready right now, will take over the slot position with good routes, good hands and good RAC. He is a size and speed upgrade to Bess as well as already having chemistry with Tannehill. Although, he will probably be selected in the 3rd round, so if we wait until the 4th we'll miss him. He may not have as high of a ceiling as some of the other WR's in this draft, but he is a very good bet to be a strong slot WR and can get deep on many nickel corners.

Ertz is what this offense lacks. Sure, we need 2 or 3 good WR's, but I'm fairly confident we're going to add 1 veteran and 2 rookies. The X factor is our TE position. Apparently Egnew was drafted to be our mismatch seam threat TE ... but he can't block and isn't a good route runner, so he's not being trusted to do the job. Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz are immediate plug-and-play guys who are not only seam threats, but also size mismatches in the red zone. I sincerely hope we can get Eifert or Ertz as well as WR's this draft, because Fasano is neither a seam threat nor a size mismatch in the red zone. I like Fasano as a 2nd TE, but we need more from a starter.

Great idea OP! Why not go balls up on O in FA and draft. Our D can hold us afloat for another year.

Revamp O in 1 season:

7 Needs: 2OG, 1RT, 2WR, 1TE, 1RB

FA: 
WR Jennings
OG Levitre

1 TE Eifert
2 WR Patterson
2 OG Cooper
2 OT Fluker
3 WR Bailey
3 WR Swopes
4 RB Lattimore

OL: Martin, Cooper, Pouncey, Levitre, Fluker
WR: Jennings, hartline, Patterson, Bailey, Swopes, Matthews
TE: eifert, Clay, Egnew
RB: bush, miller, Gray, Lattimore

Note: forgot to mention in the previos Post, that the mock is based On a trade down in the first, picking up anoter second in the process.

I would love to see us trade down and grab up another 2nd. I'd also love to double down in the first 2 rounds on WR and sign Jennings. He's older and injury prone but would be perfect to mentor the rookies while they develop. To be able to do this while still having two more 2nds & 3rds + $$$ to address our other needs would make for a dream offseason.

Woods is a slot WR himself. He doesn't play outside in USC's offense.

Woods is not a slot WR. He can play slot, but he's not a slot WR. Is G. Jennings a slot WR just because he lines up in the slot at times? We're not talking D. Bess here.

Woods isn't Wallace or Bess. If he can get healthy, he can be a G. Jennings kind of WR. Obviously, Jennings didn't just become Greg Jennings overnight. For Woods to reach that level, he'll have to put in a lot of work, and it wouldn't hurt to have A. Rodgers throwing him the ball.

I agree 100% with this thread. We need to add as many playmakers as possible, our offense is boring and predicatable. Our D would instantly improve because they will be facing a better team in practice every day, and they will be able to compete more on game day due to us not always playing from behind, and forcing opposing teams to play catch up, thus instantly causing more turnovers!

I do feel the trade down isnt as easy as we think, unless a stud slides to #12 and then we are left considering taking this stud as well! I would love to be able to stock pile picks and add more weapons on both sides of the ball!

I agree 100% with this thread. We need to add as many playmakers as possible, our offense is boring and predicatable. Our D would instantly improve because they will be facing a better team in practice every day, and they will be able to compete more on game day due to us not always playing from behind, and forcing opposing teams to play catch up, thus instantly causing more turnovers!

I do feel the trade down isnt as easy as we think, unless a stud slides to #12 and then we are left considering taking this stud as well! I would love to be able to stock pile picks and add more weapons on both sides of the ball!

You prove a great point as well, and I feel for the defense when they have nothing to play for late in games because I know they have confidence in themselves to get it done, however when they're on the sidelines I guarantee they cringe watching that offense attempt finishing the job. Opposing offense's playing from behind could also create more turnovers as you stated, Reshad Jones has two game closing picks because of just this against the Bengals and most recently the Bills. I would much rather we home grow a TE like Ertz if he falls to the 2nd round instead of signing Jared Cook, but I would still choose Robert Woods over Ertz with my first 2nd round selection. The kid is just a complete juke machine lol.

Until we have an O'line that can give RT more than a nano-second, doesn't much matter who his weapons are.

They (The Fins) need to make tannehill great by letting him be a total QB, Running, passing, and checking to a better play, it starts with his development, I think a TE will be in order for this kid, a RB that can get 1 yard for a 1st down, these items will keep the offense on the field, the dolphins couldn't convert down and distant situations, especially on 3rd down because Tannehill didn't have a dependable receiver to catch his passes or a RB to pick up neccessary yardage.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Jaedavion Clowney would be a great pick at 12

They have jeff fuller whom is big and pretty fast, swope is slower than fuller.

Until we have an O'line that can give RT more than a nano-second, doesn't much matter who his weapons are.

If you think play makers who can create immediate separation and a tight end that can finally create mis matches won't help Tannehill get the ball out faster and get quicker reads...I honestly don't know what in the hell you are thinking. This team has focused on the o-line for years, it has gotten us a franchise worst 4 consecutive losing seasons. I know it's cliche but this team needs play makers, not role players (obviously that would help as well, but not as much as this team's dire lack of skill position players).

I don't feel that bad about our WR corps if we just got a true #1WR like Jennings and resign Hartline. We could add to it with one of the 2nd rounders but we NEED more help in the secondary. We NEED a cover corner and I would use our #1 pick on that IF there's anyone close to our draft position. Also, we NEED another offensive tackle, BADLY. Johnathan Martin got pantsed against NE and now the whole league knows that guy has no power and is easily beaten with a basic bull rush. I think it was so bad that signing Jake Long is a must. Long will be healthy and is a top 10 tackle when healthy. We also need an impact linebacker. We have no linebackers capable of making a play in coverage on a TE, and so long as that's true then NE will beat our brains in year in & year out. We also need a Free Safety pretty bad too.

Let's review our holes:
WR - get a true #1 and everything else falls in line
OL - resign Long or we're buggered mercilessly
CB & FS - let Sean Smith walk, he's a freakin' bum
LB/DE
TE a FA can be had cheap that would be a major upgrade over what we have. Time for Egnew to start his non-football career. Is there a guy like Schefler out there? That kinda player?

I don't feel that bad about our WR corps if we just got a true #1WR like Jennings and resign Hartline. We could add to it with one of the 2nd rounders but we NEED more help in the secondary. We NEED a cover corner and I would use our #1 pick on that IF there's anyone close to our draft position. Also, we NEED another offensive tackle, BADLY. Johnathan Martin got pantsed against NE and now the whole league knows that guy has no power and is easily beaten with a basic bull rush. I think it was so bad that signing Jake Long is a must. Long will be healthy and is a top 10 tackle when healthy. We also need an impact linebacker. We have no linebackers capable of making a play in coverage on a TE, and so long as that's true then NE will beat our brains in year in & year out. We also need a Free Safety pretty bad too.

Let's review our holes:
WR - get a true #1 and everything else falls in line
OL - resign Long or we're buggered mercilessly
CB & FS - let Sean Smith walk, he's a freakin' bum
LB/DE
TE a FA can be had cheap that would be a major upgrade over what we have. Time for Egnew to start his non-football career. Is there a guy like Schefler out there? That kinda player?

I fail to understand how people can still have the same mindset that all this offense needs is a "#1 WR" and "everything else will fall in place"...were you not here for the Brandon Marshall experiment? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember this offense actually declining with a "#1 WR" and won us even less games with him than without. Were you okay with Hartline and Bess having a total of two combined TDs all year? We need to home grow our own as well as get a Jennings guy in here in order to force the defense to respect every damn player in our potential receiving game. Adding just one "#1 WR" will not fix everything, not even close.

Back
Top Bottom