My observations after attending my first HOME game last week | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My observations after attending my first HOME game last week

Such a simple solution to the problem...

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

For whats its worth I went to my one and only home game in 2008 vs the Bills, the attendance and atmosphere seemed great to me and that was coming off a 1-15 season and we were 2-4 at the time. Was that game an aberration or has something happened to affect attendance between then and now?

7-9
7-9
6-10
7-9 w patsies loss

For whats its worth I went to my one and only home game in 2008 vs the Bills, the attendance and atmosphere seemed great to me and that was coming off a 1-15 season and we were 2-4 at the time. Was that game an aberration or has something happened to affect attendance between then and now?

I went to that game and I was up in the 400 level between a Bufalo Bills fan section and the breast cancer awareness cheerleaders that were performing the halftime show. We had entire 3 rows to ourselves. Stadium was half empty. We didnt even have to stand in line for beers. We could just walk right up and buy one. We decided to stand on our seats because there was nobody behind us for several rows, and security kept telling us to sit down. I dont remember that game getting loud at all.

The crowd can help a team win. Seattle is 8-0 at home (best crowd in the NFL) and just 2-5 on the road, including a loss to us. A loud, raucous crowd makes a bigger difference than anyone here cares to acknowledge.

I have been a life long Phins fan ever since I was about 5 years old (I'm 41 now). Always living up north I had never had a chance to attend a home game for various reason. While I spent the first 33 years of my life I attended away games @ Cinci, Cleveland, Indy, & Detroit. I then moved to Atlanta which is where I currently reside. Since moving I have seen them play in Atlanta & Nashville. Anyway, this past weekend I was able to check off one item on my bucket list by attending my first home game along with my 12 year old son who of course is also a Phins fan.

With that being said I have some observations after going to the game. (If you feel like bashing me for some of my comments don't bother posting...however if you have intelligent comments you would like to add then by all means fire away)

1. I was impressed with how easy it was to get in and out of the stadium parking areas and quickly get on the highway. Yes, this may have something to do with the low attendance but it seems like the infrastructure was designed well for getting the fan traffic in and out even with some of the construction going on. I've been to some stadiums like Cinci where it is a b!itch getting in and out of.

Leaving the parking lot after games is usually a very slow process. This year there was no line to leave after the Oakland game and that was the first time it had ever been like that.

2. We have NO home field advantage. Yes, losing so many games over the past decade and having no Dan Marino anymore has killed the attendance. Obviously that has an impact to the noise level and home field advantage. With that being said it still seemed like the fans that were there just didn't seem to be into the game that much. During key moments in the game, it just seemed like only half the fans were even screaming and yelling when the Bills had the ball. BTW....I thought there were very few Bills fans at the game.

It's tough that this was your first home game experience considering where we're at in the season. I always go to the home opener b/c there's more hope and energy in the crowd.

3. Sunlife Stadium definately needs a face lift. I was disappointed in the das state that the stadium is in. From the seating, restrooms, to overall appearance it just really looks dingy. I see why there is a lot of talk lately about needing a stadium upgrade. Unfortunately from what I have heard on WQAM via Iheart radio it sounds like the Marlins have screwed any chance of the Dolphins getting any tax dollars for an upgrade. Disappointing..

Just get some paint and some topless dancers and we're good to go.

4. Pro shop pricing...went into the pro shop and I was rather disappointed in the pricing I observed. For example they had some very nice hats....one solid white and one solid black...both fitted. Anyway I have been looking online for a while for hats just like those 2 I mentioned. Anyway, the pice on those hats were $32 a piece! Seriously, that is probably the most expensive ball caps I have ever seen. I'll pay in the mid 20's but not $32. Disappointing especially considering the state of the franchise and the declining fan base. You would think they would knock the price down some to encourage fans to buy more apparel.

Team stores and Pro Shops are always expensive and I avoid buying anything there. $32 for a hat isn't horrible though, you won't find a legit fitted for the mid 20s.

5. The fans that were there sure know how to party. I was pleasantly surprised at the great tailgating parties I observed. It seemed the fans had more fun tailgating than they had during the game based on the lack of enthusiasm I observed during the game.

Agreed

That was my fourth Dolphin game last week. And the first time I've finally seen them win live! Our fans really do need to be more energetic, but our players do too. By that I mean WIN. I was screaming my face off the entire game and some of the people that were even in my party acted as though I was 'wrong' for it. I wasn't rude or cussing, just cheering and involved in the game. I don't try 'coaching' them to be fans or anything, but I damn sure don't apologize for standing up!

I also went to the Texans game in Houston and honestly I was surprised with how little they got into the game as fans. I mean it was better than us, but it was opening day and they had all the hype of being a superbowl contender and there were empty seats all over and it didn't get nearly as loud as I thought it would. Of course the last game that I went to was in the SuperDome and that place is stupid loud. With that said too, even New Orleans with all their success recently has plenty of fans that don't get involved and 'give up' on the team after a few bad showings. We're not the only ones folks with hard to please fans!

Miami fans just don't get hyped up for their teams. The Miami Heat have Lebron James, a global icon in basketball, and we have empty seats against all calibers of teams. Its not that games don't sell out, they attract the wrong crowd. The people who are able to afford the tickets on a regular basis are probably just there to chatter away, drink their faces off, or are in the concourse not even paying attention to the game. The Marlins built a new stadium, signed big name free agents, opened against the defending world series champs, and could not even sell out the opening game...and this was before we sold our entire team. This brings me to the Dolphins. They are not a winning team, not an exciting offensive team, so they can't even attract those placeholder fans that just fill up seats. I went to the Dolphins game against the Titans and left early, only to find that there was more of a crowd tailgating than actually inside the stadium. It would be rare to fill up the stadium with actual fans willing to cheer, because quite frankly, it might not be possible in this day and age. Its not even about winning. The Chiefs suck, and they have a loud ass stadium. I have lived in Miami my whole life, and it hurts to say, but its quite obvious we can't match the crowd of Seattle even if we win 3 super bowls in a row and build a new stadium, we just have no enthusiasm for our teams. I am sure a lot of you will think otherwise, but only a handful of you are die hard fans, and there aren't enough of you to fill up close to 75% of our stadium.

Miami fans just don't get hyped up for their teams. The Miami Heat have Lebron James, a global icon in basketball, and we have empty seats against all calibers of teams. Its not that games don't sell out, they attract the wrong crowd. The people who are able to afford the tickets on a regular basis are probably just there to chatter away, drink their faces off, or are in the concourse not even paying attention to the game. The Marlins built a new stadium, signed big name free agents, opened against the defending world series champs, and could not even sell out the opening game...and this was before we sold our entire team. This brings me to the Dolphins. They are not a winning team, not an exciting offensive team, so they can't even attract those placeholder fans that just fill up seats. I went to the Dolphins game against the Titans and left early, only to find that there was more of a crowd tailgating than actually inside the stadium. It would be rare to fill up the stadium with actual fans willing to cheer, because quite frankly, it might not be possible in this day and age. Its not even about winning. The Chiefs suck, and they have a loud ass stadium. I have lived in Miami my whole life, and it hurts to say, but its quite obvious we can't match the crowd of Seattle even if we win 3 super bowls in a row and build a new stadium, we just have no enthusiasm for our teams. I am sure a lot of you will think otherwise, but only a handful of you are die hard fans, and there aren't enough of you to fill up close to 75% of our stadium.

I think traffic was light because of attendance...for the big games I sit there for an hour before getting out to the highway.

I do agree SLS needs to be redone. Are they crazy thinking they are getting the 50th Superbowl with that crappy stadium! It's awful.

I think traffic was light because of attendance...for the big games I sit there for an hour before getting out to the highway.

I do agree SLS needs to be redone. Are they crazy thinking they are getting the 50th Superbowl with that crappy stadium! It's awful.

They are planning on spending $100 million on upgrades, moving the seats closer to the field and adding sun shades among other things.

I think the hats were so expensive because they were giving 25% of to season ticket holders...soooooo they raise the price lol

All that is needed is some offense. Start putting up points like the Patriots, Packers etc. and we will see an increase. There just really needs to be some excitement surrounding the team. Yes some of us on here have it but most dont care. We need Jennings, and a burner. I would just love to see some good highlights coming from our games, some reason to start getting more national recognition.

People here will insist that because we sold out those game, that fans actually showed up

Well paid attendence is what counts . when we were steadily competing and not just making the playoffs every 5 years , the stadium was pretty packed.
If Jeffy turns it around with philben the attendence will get better. i just dont understand people expecting sellouts from a team that hasnt been to the playoffs in 4 years.

3. Sunlife Stadium definately needs a face lift. I was disappointed in the das state that the stadium is in. From the seating, restrooms, to overall appearance it just really looks dingy.

Dingy is an apt description. You can really sense it by walking up the ramps and not taking the escalator. One area after another is in dull awful shape. It's like a 25 year old woman who looks 60. Not that I've ever seen an example of that, but I've also never seen a stadium as wrinkled and repulsive as ours. It's empty almost every day and you can hardly blame the community. The only thing I appreciate about Roger Goodell is his opinion of our pathetic venue. Now I wish he'd tell Mike Dee no Super Bowls period, minus a new venue in a location with a pulse.

A new football only stadium near Bay Side and the AAA would be the ideal location or on the Miami seaquarium property in Crandon.
The bay, city lights, it would seem appropriate.
Turn the old one into a soccer stadium, a homeless shelter, or tear it down.

Back
Top Bottom