Need vs BPA | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need vs BPA

I like Ebron but Jace Amaro from Texas Tech is a far better player. I even prefer Austin Seferian-Jenkins to Ebron. Don't get me wrong Ebron is talented, and is a 1st round tight end, but he has his flaws. He does not attack the football and win 50/50 balls like you would want out of a 1st round tight end. He does have great athletic ability, and is a willing blocker. I have him rated #21 so with us picking 19 I wouldn't mind that selection. And as far as BPA vs. Need, when asked how to balance that, Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome said..

"All that happens if you draft BPA is you have a team of good football players"

I like Ebron but Jace Amaro from Texas Tech is a far better player. I even prefer Austin Seferian-Jenkins to Ebron. Don't get me wrong Ebron is talented, and is a 1st round tight end, but he has his flaws. He does not attack the football and win 50/50 balls like you would want out of a 1st round tight end. He does have great athletic ability, and is a willing blocker. I have him rated #21 so with us picking 19 I wouldn't mind that selection. And as far as BPA vs. Need, when asked how to balance that, Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome said..

"All that happens if you draft BPA is you have a team of good football players"

Great quote. Goes back to the horizontal vs vertical draft boards.

Not only that, take a good look at the top G's. Cyril Richardson, Yankey, Zach Martin. All have played Tackle and are very good G prospects.

I heard the announcer in the Baylor game two nights ago say Cyril is Larry Allen. Now that may be a big oversell, but it certainly got me thinking. If he is anything close to Larry Allen, and you know you can trade down and still get him, by gollly do it.

I also see guys slip into the second round and guys who will move up boards and slide like Seantrel Henderson could and end up in fifth round.

So I tend to see a mix of need and BPA at the need.

My ideal thing to have happen is to trade down to SF spot (one pick ahead of New England), and take a Cyril Richardson or Seferian Jenkins and get that extra pick to build your Oline with solid G/T types and get some good tackles a little later like the Boise St. kid and maybe even resign Mckinney and Clabo to one year deals cheap and so you draft your future behind them to give time to mix, mold your future OL and still get a stud TE with huge Tony G. upside while letting SF take Ebron or Amaro who will be slotted to go there.
Wow. Cyril Richardson always reminded me of Larry Allen, but I've never heard anyone else make that comparison. He is a player who wins his one on one battles and moves pretty well for a guy weighing around 350.

Push comes to shove, I'd get an explosive playmaker in the first someone like Ebron or Benjamin in the first and then go to work on improving the offensive line. Miami needs to get one offensive line starter (a good one) in free agency. Also, I'd explore trading up for Watkins. This guy goes from 0 to full speed faster than anyone I've seen and would be an absolute holy terror in the slant. Obviously, he would be costly as a likely top 10 pick but having Wallace, Watkins, Clay and Hartline would give defenses fits. I can dream!

nevermind I just realized this posted already... not sure how to delete posts so I will leave my post as this..

Last edited by a moderator:
amaro gets off the los very well even against dbs...he shakes em well...good looking prospect not a rediculous physical athlete like a vernon davis but that size that catch radius and that mismatch looks like a 1st round pick to me easy...he doesn't come off though as a go up and get it guy at its highest point but that's gonna be a tough cover for safeties and lbs in the pros...work him flexed out primarily...doesnt wow you with separation but with that size that catch radius and those hands good luck lbs/dbs

i have him and ebron ahead of everyone else...sefarian jenkins is gonna work more in line and run routes underneath etc...can make plays down the field and in the red zone but his snaps are dion sims in this offense even though he's a much more dynamic pass catcher than sims who is pretty much a 6 yard curl and show your numbers to the qb or box out a defender in the red zone...upside pass receiving wise with sims is little to none...if you are keeping sims i dont see where sefarian jenkins helps us unless sims snaps are no longer there...

ebrons game is wr like smoothness in a 6 ft 4 250 lb package...he runs routes like a wr...i like him a lot even if he doesnt come off as very physical...really none of these tight ends just overpower you with physicality but they are all skilled big body guys

dennis pitta is very finesse even more so than coby fleener but he's a flex mismatch that wins very early...i think pittas ebrons floor

amaro gets off the los very well even against dbs...he shakes em well...good looking prospect not a rediculous physical athlete like a vernon davis but that size that catch radius and that mismatch looks like a 1st round pick to me easy...he doesn't come off though as a go up and get it guy at its highest point but that's gonna be a tough cover for safeties and lbs in the pros...work him flexed out primarily...doesnt wow you with separation but with that size that catch radius and those hands good luck lbs/dbs

i have him and ebron ahead of everyone else...sefarian jenkins is gonna work more in line and run routes underneath etc...can make plays down the field and in the red zone but his snaps are dion sims in this offense even though he's a much more dynamic pass catcher than sims who is pretty much a 6 yard curl and show your numbers to the qb or box out a defender in the red zone...upside pass receiving wise with sims is little to none...if you are keeping sims i dont see where sefarian jenkins helps us unless sims snaps are no longer there...

ebrons game is wr like smoothness in a 6 ft 4 250 lb package...he runs routes like a wr...i like him a lot even if he doesnt come off as very physical...really none of these tight ends just overpower you with physicality but they are all skilled big body guys

dennis pitta is very finesse even more so than coby fleener but he's a flex mismatch that wins very early...i think pittas ebrons floor

Don't be shocked when Amaro runs sub 4.5.. And I'm not sure why some people on here think ASJ isn't physical.. the guy is mauling blocker as a TE and if you get him too lose a little weight ala Dion Sims, he will run way better. He is the best high point, 50/50 ball, whatever you wanna call it tight end in the draft.

Don't be shocked when Amaro runs sub 4.5.. And I'm not sure why some people on here think ASJ isn't physical.. the guy is mauling blocker as a TE and if you get him too lose a little weight ala Dion Sims, he will run way better. He is the best high point, 50/50 ball, whatever you wanna call it tight end in the draft.

dion sims lost weight ran faster but gained no burst...he's just a 260 lb no burst no quick acceleration guy now...he better get damn good at blocking

amaro runs sub 4.5 on a not homecooking field i will eat my shorts...that would be crazy

dion sims lost weight ran faster but gained no burst...he's just a 260 lb no burst no quick acceleration guy now...he better get damn good at blocking

amaro runs sub 4.5 on a not homecooking field i will eat my shorts...that would be crazy

I've heard he may.. then again...so did Coby Fleener...

Back
Top Bottom