Needs Assessment in First Week of Free Agency | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Needs Assessment in First Week of Free Agency

I wouldn't expect much more in free agency. Maybe a #2 TE but other than that it's on to the draft. Maybe after the june cuts we could get one more free agent.
As far as needs,
TE and LB are the top two as we need a starting LB and a starting TE imo
We also need a back up QB & RB
A DT for the rotation and maybe a FS
My ideal would be something like this,
1-LB(Vender?) I'm worry about Smith and his injuries and Edmunds won't be there at 11
2-TE-The team likes 4 guys there. Goedert,Hurst,Gesicki and Ian Thomas
3-QB-Lauletta. I really like him plus I don't want the pats to have him
4-RB- hard to tell who'll be there at that point
4-this could be a DT or a Center or a Guard or a FS. Hard to tell at this point and we'll have to see how the draft goes

Ozzy rules!!

I'm still curious how much they liked guice and how he is valued. Opening up #11 for bpa you never know how their board is drawn up. I wouldn't be surprised to see guice go at #11 if edmunds James minkah Chubb Barkley and the qbs are gone

I think you pretty much nailed it SF. Tight end followed by linebacker being our biggest needs. Here's how i see it-

1. Tight end- we have next to nothing here, you did forget to mention Derby though. Maybe they like him more than we know? I think round 2 is the spot to grab one of them. I'd like a complete tight end who can block, so i'd be weary on Gesicki, but dude can fly at least. Goedert is my choice

2. Linebacker- round 1 is going to dry these guys up. I like Edmunds the best. Roquan would be a decent consolation prize, but I'd rather get Vander Esch in a slight trade down if possible. Wouldn't be surprised if someone in the 20's grabs him.

3. Back up / developmental qb- We resigned Fales but he doesn't affect anything.

4a- FS- we need a true free safety, stop with the double SS bs. I'd looooove Derwin James in round 1 if we don't go with one of the linebackers. Maybe not a "true centerfielder" but he could do great things and make an impact on the linebackers as well

4b- DT- a bit on an unknown what could/will happen here. Phillips flashes. Godchaux looked good as a rookie. Taylor showed enough to be in the conversation as depth. I doubt we stay put, but maybe a later selection in the draft or maybe a late FA cheap signing.

4c- rb- need a bruiser to spell Drake.

Not sure how much differently to weigh the last three so combined them because they all have their own merits. Those are the spots I would focus on first. Then, we need to start getting some new young guys on the OL to develop. Smith has potential. Davis looked good and may start this year. But we need plans for the future at LG and C. Those probably won't come this year though. Maybe someone we like falls in the draft, but outside of that we are set

Thanks for mentioning Derby. I did forget about him. Right now looking at the offense, I'm not sure there's a difference maker (Drake maybe). That said, I think there are some good players and if the team can add a talented tight end that would really be huge.

I'd definitely concentrate on linebacker and tight end, possibly even drafting two tight ends fairly early.

I agree with you that the team likely roles with what they have at DT, maybe taking a flyer on someone in the late rounds (Star L.'s brother?).

How the team views quarterback could change the entire draft, though.

So would I.

I don't see a tight end worthy of pick #11 so going linebacker in the first makes sense. Edmunds, Smith or Evans would do it. Andrews would be my pick in R2, but if Guice or Harrison are there that would be some tough decisions.

LB is a critical need. Isn't Hull starting on the depth chart at the moment?

No. It's likely to be Kiko weak, McMillan Mike and chase Allen strong (as the roster stands now)

In nickel we were sending Kiko and Anthony out there towards the latter half of the season

We are stacked at DE.

SDE: Wake, Hayes
WDE: Quinn, Harris, Branch

I have a feeling that hayes will be kickin ginside on passing downs to pair with whoever happens to be the hot hand at the time. Could even be a speed package with Wake, Quinn, Hayes & Harris.

Not too many teams carry 5 DE's so one of these guys may be inactive come game day.

I am of the belief we will need help (starter) at DT and it has to be in the discussion in the first round. Especially if you see a 3 down player you like.

I would reverse the first two, making LB top priority followed by TE in the 2nd.
I agree with LB and the TE. But only if all the top qbs are gone. You can't pass on a top qb for a LB.

No. It's likely to be Kiko weak, McMillan Mike and chase Allen strong (as the roster stands now)

In nickel we were sending Kiko and Anthony out there towards the latter half of the season
yeah, was thinking that myself after posting. that's not good.

IMO we have moved backwards so far in every move except possibly. When you loose 4 pro bowlers from your team 3 of which other teams had to game plan for thats not the direction you want to go. Yes we may have gotten a stud defensive end at a crowded position. Every other move as additions were marginal.

Draft, DT, TE, LB, QB, RB are all high priority with just 5 picks in the first four rounds and you need to hit on them all. Good luck. PS a decent free saftey would help also.

Draft, DT, TE, LB, QB, RB are all high priority with just 5 picks in the first four rounds and you need to hit on them all. Good luck.
1 - mayfield 2 - hurst 3 - chubb. Just nailed the first three

Back
Top Bottom