Newson has to be the guy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Newson has to be the guy

phinman1

Seriously now
Reaction score
To me, it has to be Kendall that steps up. Schad said he did well in Houston. He has the size and speed. We saw what Thompson was last year, nothing much will change in my opinion. As for Tolver and Simmons, they may contribute here and there, but aren't ready to be significant contributors.

If Newson gets the mental part down, he will supplant Thompson and be our starter. As for the WR's as a whole, we now have the same group as last year, except Sullivan is the coach. This guy made a star out of Boston and Bolden. I think he can do the same with Newson, who he praised in Houston. Amid all the gloom and doom, it may be hard to see, but our WR unit should be better than last year.

yeah and wipe the butter off his fingers before you send him out there, I like Tolver more then him and what about Snoop Minis but personally I would like to see us get Keenan Mcardell if we are gonna get any second tier WR

phinman1 said:
To me, it has to be Kendall that steps up. Schad said he did well in Houston. He has the size and speed. We saw what Thompson was last year, nothing much will change in my opinion. As for Tolver and Simmons, they may contribute here and there, but aren't ready to be significant contributors.

If Newson gets the mental part down, he will supplant Thompson and be our starter. As for the WR's as a whole, we now have the same group as last year, except Sullivan is the coach. This guy made a star out of Boston and Bolden. I think he can do the same with Newson, who he praised in Houston. Amid all the gloom and doom, it may be hard to see, but our WR unit should be better than last year.

Newson was one of the better receivers on the team last season during practice. He made plays left and right. He just didn't put it together during the games. Like Schad says, Newson is a player who has size, athleticism, and speed. The Boston injury has given him an opportunity to emerge and make a name for himself.

Of course, based on the responses to your post, there are some that do not believe young players with talent can make a name for themselves. They believe you have to have a big name before you ever emerge.

I like WR K. Newson. He's been battling hard, and is showing he has the deep speed we need. We need speed opposite CC, and he's the only guy who can provide it right now. His hands were a question mark last season, but he did make some plays in the process. Maybe Sullivan can bring out the best in him, and he'll prove to be the guy we need. Maybe not....

I'm still not convinced we'll go wth DT or KN as our possible #2 WR, but one of them will provide us with a solid #3 if nothing else...

Right now, neither WR A. Freeman or M. Jenkins can replace the loss of Boston IMO. We need more speed than that out there. We should make a trade, and find a solid replacement asap. Word out is that we're looking at Washington WR Rod Gardner in a trade senario. He's not fast, but he's a big target with decent hands. Still, is he worth trading for???....Especially if O-Gun is the bait???....

PHINZ RULE!!! :cool:

The time has come for Mr. Newson to take advantage of this situation...it could be now or never.....

If Bledsoe doesn't get the snot knocked out of him against the Jets 3 years ago.....It's quite possible the Pats do NOT win 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls.....Tom Brady may still be 2 or 3 on the Pats bench....

Kurt Warner never would have seen the field to earn MVP honors and a Super Bowl ring if Trent Green doesn't blow his knee out in a pre-season game....

The time is at hand.....players MUST step up and shine!

I'm hoping the Sullivan can work his magic with both Thompson and Newsom and get some decent production out of both of them. I'm also wondering what will happen with Simmons and Tolver.

You know, a bunch of the incomplete passes attributed to the statistics of our quarterbacks last year were passes that hit Kendall NEwson in the numbers and were in his hands and he dropped them, thats what i remember.....im hoping that was all jitters and he can step up and play with the real pros rather than that NFL-E crap.

phinman1 said:

I dont see DW giving any young player a chance over a vet. DW would rather have know mediocrity than an unknown.

TerryTate said:
You know, a bunch of the incomplete passes attributed to the statistics of our quarterbacks last year were passes that hit Kendall NEwson in the numbers and were in his hands and he dropped them, thats what i remember.....im hoping that was all jitters and he can step up and play with the real pros rather than that NFL-E crap.

http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?id=6074&Submit=Go

The stats say otherwise. First of all, he can't have a bunch of incomplete passes when he was only targeted 6 times. Second, based on what STATS Inc. has, Newson dropped just one pass.

He did show a glimpse of his ability though by averaging 27.5 yards per reception on his two receptions.

Yeah he didnt drop a lot of passes like everyone is saying he did. He made some mental mistakes that got Dave pissed. Thats why he went from making big plays on our team to being on the street. He has the ability and hopefully with Sullivan helping him he will get down the mental part. He could end up producing for us if he gets the shot. I say bring in Freeman and let those three battle for the other spot. And how are Tolver and Simmons going to start when they aren't even producing at the level of Newsom or Thompson in practice.

Kistner10 said:
Yeah he didnt drop a lot of passes like everyone is saying he did. He made some mental mistakes that got Dave pissed. Thats why he went from making big plays on our team to being on the street. He has the ability and hopefully with Sullivan helping him he will get down the mental part. He could end up producing for us if he gets the shot. I say bring in Freeman and let those three battle for the other spot. And how are Tolver and Simmons going to start when they aren't even producing at the level of Newsom or Thompson in practice.

Maybe that's what it was...cause i knew that almost every play I saw of him where the QB targetted him, there seemed to be a problem :fire:

Yeah I was just going to say that in Newson's defense, he didn't get much of an opportunity to show his stuff before the coaches yanked him. He dropped maybe one or two easy ones and was only targeted 6 times as KB says.

But give him a break I think that was his first real live NFL action, and not only that, it was mid to late in the season, and Newson had just gotten done playing a full season of NFL Europe prior to arriving at our training camp. He was on like the 37th mile of a 26 mile marathon.

I do have hopes for Newson. But keep in mind that just because he was a good kick returner in NFL Europe, and just because he got open deep and made deep plays, that does not make him a burner. In actuality he's more of a 4.5 guy than a 4.3 guy. Way back when he was in NFL Europe and he and Robert Baker were doing well, most people on here really liked Baker but I liked Newson so I did a bunch of research on him. He ran something like a 4.6 coming out of college. Now there may have been mitigating circumstances (see Poole, Will) but that don't make him a burner. I think he can be good but he's got a LOT to prove before we can depend on him.

MarTay Jenkins would be a good deep threat. He's got burner speed and leaps like a kangaroo. He just tends to muff easy passes. When he was with Jerry Sullivan, he looked well on his way to developing into a consistent playmaker in the NFL. He got derailed.

Jenkins is also a pretty decent kick returner, which we lack. For his career he averages 25.6 yard per return. In 2000 he got about 27 per return on 82 returns, in 2001 he had a bit of an off year with only 23 yards per return, but in 2002 back to 28 yards per return (in only 8 games).

In all three years he's got a long return of 70 yards or more...98 yards in 2000, 70 in 2001, and 95 yards in 2002.

Hey ck...do you have any info in Jenkins like height,weight etc.? I've been trying to find info on him and it hasn't been easy.

Back
Top Bottom