NFL analysis of the AFC East | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL analysis of the AFC East

Ohio Fanatic said:
Rookie Wideouts rarely make a big difference. But if the Bills can get similar production from Lee Evans that Miami got from Chambers, then I think Miami and Buffalo will battle for 2nd place. Jets defense is so far behind, I can't see them not finishing last place this year.
Forget Chambers, we're talking Price/Moulds nos. before Price left and Willis will get 800 yds to add to Henry's 1200 yds :D

Nothing to buy...

FlyingElvis said:
This didn't surprise you? He doesn't seem to buy that Feeley was brought in to start right away.

They woudn't have extended Fiedler at nearly double his 2003 salary and kept him pencilled in as the starter if Feeley was brought in to be the definite starter.

Brunnell maybe, Feeley no.

MDFINFAN said:
And exactly what did their head coach do to cause Mare to miss those 2 field goals in the first game. What did their head coach do to have their LB intercept Feilders quick pass in the 2nd game? So how did the head coach earn such praise for standing on the side lines and watching, but if the ball bounch this way or that way, did he wish it into their arms..is that his secret?

When will we learn that it's the players who make a good team a good team, put Belli-check him with his old team with the players they had and notice you didn't hear his name. Remember this is not his first HC assignment.

Good analysis, and I agree with the most important point: Bills, Dolphins, and Jets will be playing for second.

CirclingWagons said:
Good analysis, and I agree with the most important point: Bills, Dolphins, and Jets will be playing for second.

:tsk: Actually...it's Dolphins, Bills, and Jets! :evil:

Justasportsfan said:
Forget Chambers, we're talking Price/Moulds nos. before Price left and Willis will get 800 yds to add to Henry's 1200 yds :D
Wishful thinking from a Homer.:roflmao:

The Pats have a running game this year that was not in place last year.No more passes on 2 and short.With the lead in the 4thQ the Super Bowl Champions will
grind time off the clock.I see 14-2 at least this year.

while i do agree the pats must stuff horse shoes up their pants before games, and just seem to get so incredibly lucky, i beleive they are better than the dolphins. not by much, its pretty close, but i think theyll still get 1 or 2 games of a better record. i like how the schedule will allow us to win at home in december against new england though and could give us a chance to lead the division.

donshula said:
The Pats have a running game this year that was not in place last year.No more passes on 2 and short.With the lead in the 4thQ the Super Bowl Champions will
dont expect dillon to burn up the afc east this year except maybe the jets. neither the phins or the bills have any trouble stopping the run even when faced with an elite back. overall i think the WHOLE LEAGUES rushing defenses will improve. look back at last year. soooo many teams had succesful backs. jamal lewis will be this years ricky williams when the ravens just hand him the ball every play and he doesnt gain much because the opposing teams are ready for him. the rushing defense has got to be an area of EXTREME improvement for ANY team in the nfl.

donshula said:

Although I do not agree with your 14-2 prediction (the winner of the AFCE will be 11-5 and it will either be the Pats or Phins), you do make a very good point about running time off the clock.

The reason why the Pats were in so many close games last year is because they could not run the ball effectively late in the game when they had the lead.

Hopefully, that will be different this year.

Randy McMichael might be the best pass-catching tight end in the division.

Who's the competition? He's clearly the best pass-catching TE in the division.

SMadison29 said:
Randy McMichael might be the best pass-catching tight end in the division.

Who's the competition? He's clearly the best pass-catching TE in the division.
I asked myself the same questions when I read that...McMichael has to be one of the more underrated recieving TEs in the league (outside of dolphins fans) IMO. :D

donshula said:
Good points...and Jamal Lewis may be in jail
well yea i obviously meant if he plays, god it seems there has been alot of legal trouble in all the nfl this year. 2 big ones are jamal and leonard little but theres been plenty more, some by former phins.

Something in this article no one pointed out.

Pat Kirwan wrote
This also seems to be a division where the rich get richer. Bill Belichick manages to keep his world championship staff together and have the most salary-cap space in the division.

That's not the way I understand it. The Patriot's have cap problems.

Mike Reiss wrote
Currently, however, the team finds itself in a tight spot at a time when the league counts only a squad's top 51 players against the cap.

According to an early-June NFL salary cap report obtained by the Daily News, the Patriots are only $1,009,483 under their cap of $80.5 million. Only three teams -- Denver at $666,135; Pittsburgh at $552,866; and St. Louis at $28,832 -- have less cap space.

At the other end of the spectrum are New Orleans ($11,606,758), Philadelphia ($10,346,261), Dallas ($10,251,532) and the New York Giants ($8,675,490).

Closer to home, fellow AFC East teams Buffalo ($6,673.235), Miami ($5,355,669) and the New York Jets ($3,435,087) are in the middle ground.

Is this cause for alarm in New England?
Not exactly, but considering the Patriots still have to sign seven draft choices -- for which they can spend up to a league-determined $4,130,000 -- there will have to be some changes in the weeks before training camp.

Such alterations are usually contract restructures/extensions that create more cap space, but here's where things get a bit sticky.

The two players who can help the Patriots the most in this department are cornerback Ty Law and quarterback Tom Brady, who between them count for almost $18.5 million worth of cap space (Law in the $10 million range; Brady in the mid-$8 million range) -- or about 23 percent of what the team can spend.

This is usually a prescription for trouble, but we know how things went with Law (signed through 2005), who went bonkers after the team's first contract offer.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsColumnists/view.bg?articleid=70672

Back
Top Bottom