NFL Draft Rumors | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Draft Rumors

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Credit goes to various sources put together at Walter Football.com I know a lot of people don't like their site, but Walter and Charlie have a good grasp on rumors...

There's growing sentiment around the league that Cleveland could decide that Derek Carr is its guy and use the fourth overall pick on him despite owning three picks in the top 35, including No. 26 overall.

While many have the Browns taking a quarterback with the fourth pick of the draft, most believe they’ll nab a signal caller with either the 26th or 35th pick. If they don’t go quarterback in round one where does Cleveland look? Most believe it will be offensive tackle

The Rams are "falling in love" with Khalil Mack. They'll decide between him and Sammy Watkins if they stay at No. 2 and if Jadeveon Clowney is not on the board, according to Charlie Campbell

3 Teams View Derrick Carr as the number 2 QB in the draft

A couple of weeks ago, we detailed how teams around the league feel that two of the top quarterback prospects, Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel, could be facing a potential draft-day free fall. In following up with some of the quarterback-needy teams picking in the top 10, three of them have Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr as their second-rated quarterback behind Central Florida's Blake Bortles. The common media and fan projection is that Carr is the fourth-rated quarterback and a late first-round or early second-round pick, but at least three NFL teams aren't in agreement with the consensus opinion.

The reason that Carr is being rated second is that teams feel he is the most polished passer in the draft. Two of the teams told us that Carr is the best passer of the draft class, while Bortles presents the most athletic upside. A number of teams have varying doubts about Manziel and Bridgewater as pro prospects and are lukewarm on them as players. They feel as though a late first-round or second-round pick would be more appropriate for Manziel and Bridgewater.

One NFC team picking in the 20s told us that they expect the Minnesota Vikings to take Carr with the eighth-overall pick, unless he is selected by the Raiders at No. 5 overall.

A year ago, most of the attention on the quarterback prospects was focused on Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. Many pundits were surprised when E.J. Manuel was selected first. Once again, teams in the top 10 aren't following the consensus signal-caller rankings. At least three feel that Carr is the second-best quarterback prospect in the draft.

The Lions are willing to do whatever it takes to trade up for Sammy Watkins

A few QB needy teams are rumored to like the idea of going BPA in round 1 and taking Jimmy Garoppolo or Zack Mettenberger in round 2. (Bucs, Jags, and Jets love Garoppolo)

Eagles have met extensively with Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Marquise Lee, and Mike Evans.

Many teams have dropped Eric Ebron down their board due to character issues.

Some times have Joel Bitonio graded as a first rounder after having him work out at center as well as guard. While not a surefire first rounder, the feeling is Bitonio could be a plug and play player at any position on the OL.

Walter does a decent job....I like Draftek....they do a 7 round mock.

Eric Ebron character issues? Interesting. He hid them well here in the Triangle, then.

Rams no doubt trying to draw interest in trade with the Khalil Mack talk...they have 2 bookend de's already and I really doubt they would draft him to play Sam...

They stay put dollars to donuts it's greg robinson with the 2nd pick...the only other one even in contention would be Watkins and he's not Calvin Johnson level physical freak

Last edited by a moderator:
Vikings Are Prime Candidates to Trade Up for Bortles

Updated April 14, 2014
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Everyone knows that the St. Louis Rams want to trade down from the second-overall pick. With the 2014 quarterback class not yielding multiple elite prospects for the top of the draft, there has been some doubt about the Rams' ability to move down this year. However, if the Houston Texans take Jadeveon Clowney with the first pick, there are a number of teams that could move up with the Rams to get the top-ranked quarterback.

One team that is a prime contender to move up with St. Louis is the Minnesota Vikings. Sources have told us that the Vikings are a real contender to move up for Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles.

That trade was documented in two recent mock drafts on WalterFootball.com in Walt's trade mock and my mock . His good work ethic meshes well with the new coaching staff, and sources say that Bortles is the Vikings' top-rated quarterback with Derek Carr as their No. 2 quarterback.

Minnesota clearly needs a franchise quarterback, and the team has extra ammo to move up with two third-round picks. Sources with the Rams say that it would take a lot for St. Louis to drop down to eight. The Vikings could try a big package of second-day picks, but might have to use their 2015 first-rounder.

Even if they deal a 2015 first-round pick, they still would have drafted six first-round talents over a four-year span (2012-2015). That list of first-rounders would include three on each side of the ball with Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Harrison Smith, Matt Kalil, Cordarrelle Patterson and potentially Bortles. However, the price could rise or fall depending on other teams looking to get involved in the trade market.

The Rams were able to get a huge haul of draft picks from the Redskins in order for Washington to draft Robert Griffin III in 2012. In that same draft, St. Louis moved down again with the Dallas Cowboys for a second-round pick to the 14th-overall pick from the sixth-overall choice. Last year, the Rams moved down in the 20s before selecting linebacker Alec Ogletree. As we highlighted below, if the Rams are stuck at No. 2, they would be inclined toward drafting Khalil Mack and are said to be falling in love with him. Thus, it will take a lot for St. Louis to pass up on Mack.

The Vikings know in order to land Bortles, they would need to trade with the Rams because Bortles could easily be drafted by the Jaguars at three, Browns at four or Raiders at five. The deal wouldn't go down until the Rams are on the clock, but St. Louis could end up with another big haul of early-round picks, and Minnesota could finally land the franchise quarterback it has been missing.

I understand why teams like bortles, but I consider him to have some of he worst ball skills since tebow as far as first rnd abs are. No he's no where near as bad as tebow.

But you watch a full bortles game, and not just a few plays or a few aspects of his game, and it's not impressive. I just don't get the love for a qb who constantly throws an ugly ball.

As for vikings, they seem to be tied to every trade up, trade down scenario I've seen over the last few weeks.

4/14: The Texans, Jaguars, Browns and Raiders are all "strongly considering" passing on a quarterback in Round 1 and waiting until Round 2 to address that need.

According to reports Johnny Manziel could be in play if he makes it to the Rams 2nd pick

Remember last year when reports we're swirling that Ryan Nassib would be the first QB taken and in the top ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the QB's fall and give us an opportunity to trade down. Saw a mock that had us trading the #19 to the Jags

Back
Top Bottom