Nick Saban just retired | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban just retired

Would've been nice if the fins gave him the control they promised and let him sign Brees instead of Culpepper. History would've played out quite differently. Bama fans were the clear winner of that debacle.

I was mad at him first until the dust settled and facts came out. Hard to stay mad at was yet another fins self sabotage.

Doubt he had the same success in Miami so it ended up being for the best in regards to his legacy.

Would've been nice if the fins gave him the control they promised and let him sign Brees instead of Culpepper. History would've played out quite differently. Bama fans were the clear winner of that debacle.

I was mad at him first until the dust settled and facts came out. Hard to stay mad at was yet another fins self sabotage.

Doubt he had the same success in Miami so it ended up being for the best in regards to his legacy.
The facts according to Saban. Saban was a great HC at the minor league level but he was in over his head as an NFL coach and that’s the reason he ran off to Alabama.

The Chargers let Brees go in free agency without getting anything in return for him because they didn’t think he was the answer for them at the QB position. He was also coming off surgery on his throwing arm and that was the reason there was little interest in him as a free agent.

Obviously Brees turned out to be a great NFL QB but Saban had plenty of time to draft his own QB if he had decided to stick around and develop a QB. Saban using not being able to sign Brees as an excuse has never been anything more than his attempt to deflect from all the lies he told prior to leaving for Alabama.

The facts according to Saban. Saban was a great HC at the minor league level but he was in over his head as an NFL coach and that’s the reason he ran off to Alabama.

The Chargers let Brees go in free agency without getting anything in return for him because they didn’t think he was the answer for them at the QB position. He was also coming off surgery on his throwing arm and that was the reason there was little interest in him as a free agent.

Obviously Brees turned out to be a great NFL QB but Saban had plenty of time to draft his own QB if he had decided to stick around and develop a QB. Saban using not being able to sign Brees as an excuse has never been anything more than his attempt to deflect from all the lies he told prior to leaving for Alabama.

Irrelevant. Saban was told he had control and wanted Brees. The team -- with assistance from the finest team doctors around -- chose Culpepper. Those are the facts.

I still don't like defending him to this day due to the way he left but just look what happened after ... Saban became the greatest college football coach in history while the fins are still searching for that elusive playoff victory.

The Dolphins have found a way to **** it up my entire life. Saban was no anomaly.

Irrelevant. Saban was told he had control and wanted Brees. The team -- with assistance from the finest team doctors around -- chose Culpepper. Those are the facts.

I still don't like defending him to this day due to the way he left but just look what happened after ... Saban became the greatest college football coach in history while the fins are still searching for that elusive playoff victory.

The Dolphins have found a way to **** it up my entire life. Saban was no anomaly.
Bob..That other guy has no clue what happened...You are correct..the other guy is just making sh*t up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob..That other guy has no clue what happened...You are correct..the other guy is just making sh*t up.

Facts are facts regardless of loyalties.

Good luck replacing the 🐐 btw. Was a great ride for tide fans. I'm cool with him ... I can't think of a better ambassador for what the SEC stands for ... even if I still haven't forgotten about a few of those title games when the gators were still relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
We’ll probably not ever see a run like BAMA had again….but I also never thought someone would pass Bear Bryant..

I have stated before that Saban made the right decision to go back to college football because he simply wasn’t a good NFL HC.

While he was an excellent college HC, the fact is college football is nothing but the minor leagues when compared to the NFL.

I enjoy college football and I root for the Hurricanes but I have never diluted myself into believing that the college game is close to the NFL game. Less than 2% of college players ever make it to the NFL.

The best head coaches are able to be successful in the NFL because they know how to deal with adult men who play the game. Successful college coaches are able to manage young players who they can still control but very rarely do college coaches who leave for the NFL have success.

Pete Carroll is probably the most successful former college HC but he was a former NFL DC and HC before taking the job with USC and eventually returning to the NFL to be the head coach of the Seahawks.

Other than Carroll, there hasn’t been a former college head coach who has had success in the NFL since Bobby Ross in the early 1990’s.

I don't believe Saban's excuses about Drew Brees for one second.

Nick Saban was a good NFL coach. He was a great, great, great college football coach. He was a lousy NFL General Manager.

If he had had a good personnel guy, things might have been very different for the Dolphins and Alabama. But he didn't and they aren't.

Well worth the read if you have a few minutes:

One time, Saban and Cristobal were driving to see a recruit in Iowa, and it was snowing heavily.

"I didn't know how to drive in the snow, and we were almost crashing," Cristobal said.

Saban looked at Cristobal and asked quizzically, "Tell me, man, there ain't no snow in Cuba. Why the hell are you driving?"

🤣

Back
Top Bottom