No team since 2016 has a better record than the Dolphins in one-score games | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No team since 2016 has a better record than the Dolphins in one-score games

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
This is not something to aspire to. Most good teams do not want to keep it close and win it at the end.
To take a line from Conan the Barbarian,"Crush your enemies and have them driven before you."

usatsi_10334687.jpg

Since Week 3 of the 2016 season, the Miami Dolphins have been involved in 11 games decided by seven points or less. And 11 times the Dolphins were victorious in those one-score games.
Not only have the Dolphins surpassed their franchise record for consecutive wins by seven points or less, but they’re also getting closer to an NFL record.
http://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/20...ecord-than-miami-dolphins-in-one-score-games/

Last edited:
Why not, The point is to win the game, the fact that this team and coach do so well and know how to finish shows that they are doing better than the counterparts. This was a franchise that failed, consistently, in these close games, but that has changed. A big part of that is the culture that Gase has instilled, there is a fight you don't see in a lot of teams. Look at the Falcons, insanely talented, yet somehow manage to lose these close games or tend to blow leads.

Yes, "crushing" opponents would be fun and keep the board sane during the game, but having a team respond to adversity, and know how to close out a close game could be beneficial as we fight for a playoff spot.

This is not something to aspire to. Most good teams do not want to keep it close and win it at the end.
To take a line from Conan the Barbarian,"Crush your enemies and have them driven before you."

usatsi_10334687.jpg

http://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/20...ecord-than-miami-dolphins-in-one-score-games/

I spin this two ways. First, I realize going from a bad team to a good team is gradual - baby steps. To go from losing big to barely losing to barely winning are various points on the spectrum, THAT, I don't deny. And I'm happy to see the progress. OTOH, Miami barely beats bad teams and even some of their wins can look half-hearted. Finally, the team isn't consistent. The halves of the ATL game are classic examples. Yes, even the Chiefs and Pats have bad games/halves, but those bad games/halves are are uncommon. I think the improvement is noticeable, but the next step HAS to be beating bad teams by more than 3. I hope the Jets game is one of those.

usatsi_10334687.jpg

All teams want to blow the other team out. But the NFL is not College football good or bad team more than half are one score games. Why do you think most games are handicapped as one score games.

We play it so tight it's virtually impossible to be more than a score beyond the oppo when we're winning. The flip is we can get beaten up when the scoreboard gets away from us and we're too conservative to claw it back.

usatsi_10334687.jpg

I agree that no team wants to continually win close games, and I am sure Gase, staff, and players are working hard to start winning pulling away, but the reality of the NFL, most games will be close.

Miami being the best in that stat only goes to tell you this team is far closer to being a championship team then any of us even think.

I know I continually say this, but if Tannehill was our QB...only one team right now would be working on be team #2 to go undefeated, and untied.

You play to win the game. Sure, you'd love to go out and just creampie opponents 35-0, but it doesn't always work that way. At the very least when you learn how to not just win, but win close games where you have to go against the odds at times.....it builds a certain level of confidence within the team; these guys feel like they can win any game. When a game is tight in the 4th quarter, the experience in those situations play huge dividends.

With that said.....let's beat the Jets by halftime please.

Need a few big wins in there too for long term success and confidence. Happy this week though because I win is a win standings wise.

It’s the NFL man a few plays decide most of these games. I’m just happy we are coming out on top. This is a great stat to me

Gase and the dolphins under his leadership are undefeated in 1 score games and there's been 11 of those wow. In only a 2 year period. team will blowout teams as they get better on offense. I'm not worried, winning that many close games is far from luck

Gase and the dolphins under his leadership are undefeated in 1 score games and there's been 11 of those wow. In only a 2 year period. team will blowout teams as they get better on offense. I'm not worried, winning that many close games is far from luck

We lost the first 2 games to Seattle and New England they where both 1 score games.

Back
Top Bottom