O-Gun must report by the 7th game of the season... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

O-Gun must report by the 7th game of the season...

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
Link

Apparently Miami could have suspended O-Gun for three games had he waited to show up until the last 6 games...thus voiding his accrued season....

Damn! Drew dug out our ace in the hole... :(

Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman said he had not heard of such a stipulation in the collective bargaining agreement and would investigate. A representative for the players' union did not return a phone message.
Translation:
"What? Who, Me?? Really??? I did not know that...
clear.gif
."

:roflmao: :roflmao:

i cant help but think that Rosenhaus tries to screw teams over when it comes to contract disputes......

Isn't that from "Scarface"?
(My Tony Montana impersonation)
"Joo know wha'joo are, Frank? Joo a hassa. Joo know what a hassa is, Frank? Das a pig who don't fly straight. Das wha'joo are, Frank."

inFINSible said:
Isn't that from "Scarface"?

"Joo know wha'joo are, Frank? Joo a hassa. Joo know what a hassa is, Frank? Das a pig who don't fly straight. Das wha'joo are, Frank."
yea yea yup..Frank actually explains what a "hassa" is to Tony earlier in the movie...then Tony uses it on him toward the end when he blows his, well u know...

good impersonaion btw! :lol:

I don't get this. Say O-Gun says "O.K. I'm ready to play the last six games", after not playing for the first 10. Couldn't Miami just say get lost, and thus, he would not accrue the season for free agency purposes? Isn't this yet another card Miami holds? i.e. the possiblility of him going through the whole thing again next year.

Rosenhaus often gets what he wants; he negotiated record deals for Kearse and Washington running back Clinton Portis.

"Any agent can get a team to pay you what they want to pay you," Rosenhaus said. "The good agents find a way to get the team to pay you more than what they want to pay and to make them feel good about it. The trick to negotiations is to make the team feel like they got a good deal, too. You don't ever want a team walking away feeling that you've beaten them down or that it was a bad deal for them. "

So Rosenhaus must ease the Dolphins' concerns -- that Ogunleye has had a serious knee injury; that Ogunleye could tank it after he receives a $13 million signing bonus; that he benefited from Jason Taylor's presence on the opposite side of the line.

He said it didn't bother him them lowering the tender he wasn't playing for it any how.

phinman1 said:
I don't get this. Say O-Gun says "O.K. I'm ready to play the last six games", after not playing for the first 10. Couldn't Miami just say get lost, and thus, he would not accrue the season for free agency purposes? Isn't this yet another card Miami holds? i.e. the possiblility of him going through the whole thing again next year.

Once and for all, NO!!! He doesn't have to PLAY in six games... he has to be AVAILABLE for 6 games.

Here's the way it works. Ogunleye is a restricted free agent, which means we must offer him a qualifying tender in order to keep his exclusive bargaining rights. We did that when we offered him the $1.8million. It is HIS choice not to sign it... but we must keep an offer on the table or else we lose the exclusivity with him. That is exactly why there is a rule that allows us to lower the tender. So, Ogunleye can come in and sign that tender any time he wants. At THAT point the clock starts on the 6 games. If we don't let him sign the tender, we essentially pulled our contract off the table, and he would immediately become an UNRESTRICTED free agent.

phinman1 said:
This is what I was thinking as well. Does Walle just have to be listed as active, or does he have to be played by the coaching staff? Doe sthe FO have the option to tell him they won't activate him?

jesusfreak26 said:
Rosenhaus often gets what he wants; he negotiated record deals for Kearse and Washington running back Clinton Portis.

Well, he's going to have to wake up and realise that he isn't getting a record deal for Ogun with the Dolphins.

Persoanlly, it bugs me that so many people are willing to clear Ogun of all blame in this situation, and place it on Rosenhaus. Agents only do what their clients want. Examples?? Look at all the Dolphins players Rosenhaus represents... have we ever seen contract negotiations this ugly?? NO! We often saw his clients taking less money to stay here. Hell Ricky took NO signing bonus when he renegotiated, they just made his incentive based deal more fair.

Personally, I felt and said early on that Ogunleye was ripe for a MAJOR letdown if he ever got a big contract... "why?!?!" ... because in all the interviews and segments I have seen him, in on things like Dolphins Magazine etc., he has came off as VERY self-centered and money-motivated. Those are the guys who disappear once they get the big signing bonuses. Sure, he has tried to tone down his image in interviews since the negotiation began, but that's acting. The real Ogun came through in the earlier interviews.

He has to realise he is putting himself in a VERY precarious position. I just don't see the benefits of sitting out. If he is SOOOO interested in money, he have to realise that sitting out does not help his cause. Even if the team struggles, or David Bowens/Jay williams struggle with generating a pass rush, it hurts him because he will be seen as a player who could care less about the team (probably already has developed that image.)

Other things that can go wrong:
David Bowens/Jay Williams combine for 10+ sacks.
Ogunleye comes back, we let him play, and he struggles due to rust.
Ogunleye comes back, we let him play, and he gets hurt.
Ogunleye comes back, we DON'T let him play. (Is anyone gonna wanna give a 28 year old DE, who hasn't played a down of football in a year, and has a bad attitude, a blockbuster contract??)

Does he REALLY beleive he is going to come back next year and teams are just gonna throw money at him?? Yea, he might get more than the $1.8 million, but he isn't going to be sniffing Kearse-type money. I'm sure he, of all people, know the NFL is all about what have you done for me lately. Remember, he was a first round pick before getting injured his senior season, and going undrafted. He sits out the season, and it could be that same thing all over again.

The ONLY way he gets a blockbuster contract is to play this year, and put up 12+ sacks.

bigmiamifan said:
Would he get a killer deal next season after sitting all year? Wouldn't that hurt his worth some?

I would imagine so. Personally if he sits out any games at all, I wouldn't want him back

Back
Top Bottom