Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread

2 o'clock press conference to announce Fredi according to the team site.

What I'm interested to see is which coaches stay on board. Obviously Tuck is gone, which I'm fine with, and if Meacham leaves, that's kinda sucky, since he didn't pull a Jeff Cox send-em-when-the-cutoff-man-already-has-the-ball all season, but I really want to see Kranitz and Presley stick around. They did absolutely fantastic jobs this year and deserve to stick around.

If Presley goes, watch for Andres Galarraga to come on board as hitting coach. But I wonder who Fredi will tab as his bench coach.

I'm glad that Girardi will be gone. He did a great job, but obviously behind the scenes it was getting ugly, and it probably has been a big distraction for this young ball club.

BTW, before we get started and I get smashed for saying this, let's practice some spelling here.

It is F-R-E-D-I. Not "Fredy", "Freddy", "Freddi", "Freddie", or "Frojpazie". Thanks for letting me get that out of the system.

Let's get this puppy going. I'll start.

Ken Rosenthal reports that A-Rod will be on the block and that the Marlins would be interested. Don't come with the financial part of it. If Willis is in the deal, which he would have to be, with the Rangers paying a lot of the contract ($8 million this year and '09 and $7 in 2008, I think), the contracts are doable. New York would have to assume some of the salary, so if we're looking at $5-6 million, the acquiring team is going to be paying about $10-11/year for A-Rod. Willis' contract is going to be somewhere in that range after this year.

So would you do it? Where would you play the players (Cabrera at third, A-Rod at SS, Hanley in CF? Cabrera in LF, A-Rod at 3rd, Hammer at 1st or traded? Etc.)? Who are you willing to give up?

And...go.

i dont know if i would want him...how about get a couple good players for that amount, than just one player who just came off his worst year

RWhitney014 said:
Let's get this puppy going. I'll start.

Ken Rosenthal reports that A-Rod will be on the block and that the Marlins would be interested. Don't come with the financial part of it. If Willis is in the deal, which he would have to be, with the Rangers paying a lot of the contract ($8 million this year and '09 and $7 in 2008, I think), the contracts are doable. New York would have to assume some of the salary, so if we're looking at $5-6 million, the acquiring team is going to be paying about $10-11/year for A-Rod. Willis' contract is going to be somewhere in that range after this year.

So would you do it? Where would you play the players (Cabrera at third, A-Rod at SS, Hanley in CF? Cabrera in LF, A-Rod at 3rd, Hammer at 1st or traded? Etc.)? Who are you willing to give up?

And...go.
No thanks. Just can't picture A-Rod in South Florida.

Just thought of something, bringing A-Rod here to South Florida will bring the "Shaq Arrival" type of thing in South Florida, where everyone started to buy tickets and come to our games. So maybe it is a good idea. Only difference between Shaq and A-Rod, Shaq came to South Florida with 3 rings.

Wishful thinking but there's no way Arod would say yes to coming to FL to play in a pitcher's park in front of 5,000 fans a night.

Plus getting Arod would mean losing Willis and/or Miggy Cabrera (who puts up numbers similar to Arod for half the price).

Vertical Limit said:
No thanks. Just can't picture A-Rod in South Florida.

Well, he went to high school here. He lives here in the offseason. That doesn't make sense.

Ray Finkle said:
Wishful thinking but there's no way Arod would say yes to coming to FL to play in a pitcher's park in front of 5,000 fans a night.

Plus getting Arod would mean losing Willis and/or Miggy Cabrera (who puts up numbers similar to Arod for half the price).
Wishful thinking? I'm sorry, but A-Rod is the anti-clutch. I don't wish for A-Rod to come. He is just a big name around the league and could sell tickets, but I don't wish for him. I rather have Hanley Ramirez anytime, any day.

Vertical Limit said:
Wishful thinking? I'm sorry, but A-Rod is the anti-clutch. I don't wish for A-Rod to come. He is just a big name around the league and could sell tickets, but I don't wish for him. I rather have Hanley Ramirez anytime, any day.

Hanley's not going anywhere. Neither is Cabrera. This would be pitching for offense.

And I remember A-Rod lighting up the world in the 2004 playoffs. It's not like he's never done it before. His crappy year was .290-35-120. Imagine the protection he'd supply for Uggla and Miggy. It would a sight to behold.

Back
Top Bottom