Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread

Vertical Limit said:
Wishful thinking? I'm sorry, but A-Rod is the anti-clutch. I don't wish for A-Rod to come. He is just a big name around the league and could sell tickets, but I don't wish for him. I rather have Hanley Ramirez anytime, any day.

Isn't that what the Marlins need though? He's a future Hall of Famer and one of the best players in baseball. Yes he's had trouble in the playoffs but he was good in Seattle in the playoffs and before Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS he was batting over .400.

If Arod would say yes to the Marlins, the FO and fans would be nuts to say no to him (of course depending on how much talent you'd have to give up). He'd put butts in the seats, which the Marlins need, and he could have been the difference in the Marlins making the playoffs or not.

If Arod was on the Marlins, he'd play SS and the you could move Hanley to CF (which he played a little bit in the minors with the Red Sox and let's face it Arod is a better SS) so you kill two birds with 1 stone. The Marlins get a big bat to protect Miggy and get a CFer.

Of course like I say earlier I doubt he'd ever say yes to go to FL but if he would I'd jump on it. I bet he'd be good with the Marlins, there would be no Jeter comparisons or pressure on him.

As a met fan the idea Arod in south florida would be daunting I must admit because I believe that arod would flourish with less pressure and scrutiny. The biggest downside I see is that many marlin fans are transported New Yorkers who have already judged arod to be a choke artist and failure.

The other thing I see is that a team so pitching rich with young kids should make the deal if it comes available

IMO, if it did go down I would play arod at 3b, hanley at ss, miggy in lf, Willingham in LF and Hermedia in CF. Obviously Uglla and Jacobs stay put.

Ray Finkle said:
Wishful thinking but there's no way Arod would say yes to coming to FL to play in a pitcher's park in front of 5,000 fans a night.

Plus getting Arod would mean losing Willis and/or Miggy Cabrera (who puts up numbers similar to Arod for half the price).

400G compared to 25 million this year.

no way near half.:lol:

death7star said:
400G compared to 25 million this year.

no way near half.:lol:

Well IF FL traded for ARod the Yankees would probably pay half of his 15 million they owe him, so he'd cost FL about 7 or 8, Miggy will make about 4 mill in arbitration. So it would be half.

Boik14 said:
As a met fan the idea Arod in south florida would be daunting I must admit because I believe that arod would flourish with less pressure and scrutiny. The biggest downside I see is that many marlin fans are transported New Yorkers who have already judged arod to be a choke artist and failure.

The other thing I see is that a team so pitching rich with young kids should make the deal if it comes available

IMO, if it did go down I would play arod at 3b, hanley at ss, miggy in lf, Willingham in LF and Hermedia in CF. Obviously Uglla and Jacobs stay put.

Hermida's a RF and will not change. Should A-Rod come here, he'd probably play short and Hanley would move to center.

But the argument that Marlins fans are New Yorkers and have preconceived notions doesn't hold water. That just makes no sense.

RWhitney014 said:
Hermida's a RF and will not change. Should A-Rod come here, he'd probably play short and Hanley would move to center.

But the argument that Marlins fans are New Yorkers and have preconceived notions doesn't hold water. That just makes no sense.

Yup, all the new yorkers that come down here stay new york fans, thats why there is no one at florida games and why u see so many yankee fans

UCFinfan86 said:
Yup, all the new yorkers that come down here stay new york fans, thats why there is no one at florida games and why u see so many yankee fans
No one is at florida games cause the casual fan just sees that they put almost nothing into the team. Plus the stadium isnt a real good baseball fan experience.

RWhitney014 said:

I didnt say all marlins fans are new yorkers, but certainly there are some and there is simply no way to deny that with the number of transplanted NY'ers there. That percentage of the fanbase imo would likely have made a judgement regarding arods failures in NY already. It makes sense but obviously its over your head.

Anyway, I didnt post in this thread to start a conversation about nonsense just to give an opinion. It would be a very bold move for the Marlins to go after arod and one the marlins should make imo.

RWhitney014 said:
Hanley's not going anywhere. Neither is Cabrera. This would be pitching for offense.

And I remember A-Rod lighting up the world in the 2004 playoffs. It's not like he's never done it before. His crappy year was .290-35-120. Imagine the protection he'd supply for Uggla and Miggy. It would a sight to behold.

His Seattle playoff numbers are very good as well. People ignore them to push the "agenda" nowadays. In 3 postseason series in Seattle. he hit around .308, .312, and .409.

In the 2004 ALDS vs Minny for the Yanks he hit around .420 with an OB% of around .500!!!. Even in the 2004 ALCS vs Boston. He had like 8 hits, 8 runs. 2 homers, 5 RBI's and 4 walks in only seven games with a low batting avg around .260. But you can live with that batting avg with those kind of "production" numbers.

Also.........if AROD went to the Marlins. I bet within 6 months a new stadium deal would be done and in place with groundbreaking begun in 9-12 months.

AROD would move product in that area with his heratige. He could break the all time MLB home run record there. And be the first Marlin to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. He would do more in that area for MLB than winning the 2 world championships ever did. And Im dead serious about that.

RWhitney014 said:
Hanley's not going anywhere. Neither is Cabrera. This would be pitching for offense.

Cabrera might be part of a deal!! You know the Marlins down the road wouldn't be able too afford BOTH Arod and Miggy. And by trading for AROD you are investing big-time in him. Meaning Miggy will walk eventually because he will be paid like a TOP 5 player in the league that he is.

MikeO said:
Also.........if AROD went to the Marlins. I bet within 6 months a new stadium deal would be done and in place with groundbreaking begun in 9-12 months.

AROD would move product in that area with his heratige. He could break the all time MLB home run record there. And be the first Marlin to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. He would do more in that area for MLB than winning the 2 world championships ever did. And Im dead serious about that.
Not to mention arod would finally have a team that wanted to keep him and have him retire his number there. So far hes 0-3

Last time I checked ARod had a no trade clause. Who in their right mind would willingly come to Florida to play baseball when this ownership group has shown no inclination to pay anyone without a new stadium? And why do you think the Marlins are willing to even pay 6 mil to a player? They claimed they lost money last year with their 18 mil payroll since they have built up so much debt over the previous four.

Ferretsquig said:
Last time I checked ARod had a no trade clause. Who in their right mind would willingly come to Florida to play baseball when this ownership group has shown no inclination to pay anyone without a new stadium? And why do you think the Marlins are willing to even pay 6 mil to a player? They claimed they lost money last year with their 18 mil payroll since they have built up so much debt over the previous four.

Im not saying i want him i florida, but i beleive the ownership would make money(not that i ever belevied they were losing money) He would sell tickets, apparel, provide marketing.

Florida one day is signing Delgado for big money. The next they are crying poverty. They have been doing these things for years!!

That franchise has money. If they want AROD they could pull it together!

Back
Top Bottom