***Official Dolphins Vs. Patriots Game Day Thread*** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official Dolphins Vs. Patriots Game Day Thread***

There's something fishy about the Pats-Fins game

Posted by Mike Florio on December 6, 2009 7:36 AM ET
Several days ago, multiple readers told us of a discussion on WEEI in Boston regarding the point spread for Week 13's Patriots-Dolphins game.

Apparently, the thing was moving in the direction of the Dolphins, prompting speculation that Tom Brady possibly wasn't removed from Monday night's loss to the Saints because coach Bill Belichick opted not to take a shot at a comeback for the ages, but because he's hurt.

We didn't mention it at the time, in large part because Danny Sheridan's line at USA Today had moved only on one-half point, from the Pats being favored by 6.5 to 6.

But now, one of our most loyal and astute readers, who has done more than enough to secure a free PFT subscription for himself and his heirs, points out that BetUS.com has now taken the game off the board.

We've done some more sleuthing. At BetED.com, one of the lines listed in the Las Vegas Review Journal, the Pats-Dolphins game also can't be found. Ditto for Logans.com.

At SportsBetting.com, Miami is now only getting 3 points.

And Sheridan's line has moved to 4.

As we've explained in the past, the line is aimed only at ensuring that, when the game starts, equal dollars will have been wagered on each team. That way, the house generates its profit from the 11-to-10 ratio that typically applies to the winning wagers.

The line moves toward one team when a disproportionate amount of money is being placed on the other team. And it keeps moving until it reaches a point where the betting is equalized.

In this specific case, something apparently is causing a lot of gamblers to think that the Dolphins are going to win the game, since in the opinion of several of the folks who determine the point spreads nothing is correcting the heavy betting trend toward Miami.

We're mentioning this not because we care about the gambling angle -- we don't. But we realize that many of you do, and we also are intrigued by the possibility that someone has gotten their hands on inside information not reflected on the New England injury report.

For Patriots coach Bill Belichick, it's a matter of strategic advantage. For the NFL, however, it's an issue that potentially undermines the integrity of the game.

And it's another reason why the league staunchly will oppose any efforts to further legalize gambling. With legal sports betting comes accountability, both as to the quality of the game officials and as to the quality of the information provided prior to the games regarding the health status of the players. Eventually, Commissioner Roger Goodell would be sitting once again before the House Judiciary Committee explaining why the officials aren't full-time employees and/or why the injury report doesn't consistently include full information as to the status of all injured players.

In this case, only the health -- or lack thereof -- of quarterback Tom Brady would move the line so dramatically that multiple services would drop the game completely. So we'll be watching this game more closely than we otherwise would have been following it today.

Brady not playing?

After last week's loss to the Bills, I'm not really looking forward to this game. Without Chad Pennington at QB and all the damned injuries, we're just not the same team as last year. Sad to say, but I'm afraid the Patriots are going to beat us bad today. I guess I'm PRE-bummed even though the game hasn't started yet.

We sure as hell don't have a Moss or a Welker. Having ONE of those guys on our team would be nice. Don't know if Chad Henne is going to be "the answer" to our QB wishes either. He needs to "have the light come on" soon. Us Dolphins fans are STILL waiting as patiently as we can for the "next Marino". Surely Henne realizes that we've been through a LOT of QBs since Marino. He better start flashing some star talent .... SOON.

After last week's loss to the Bills, I'm not really looking forward to this game. Without Chad Pennington at QB and all the damned injuries, we're just not the same team as last year. Sad to say, but I'm afraid the Patriots are going to beat us bad today. I guess I'm PRE-bummed even though the game hasn't started yet.

We sure as hell don't have a Moss or a Welker. Having ONE of those guys on our team would be nice. Don't know if Chad Henne is going to be "the answer" to our QB wishes either. He needs to "have the light come on" soon. Us Dolphins fans are STILL waiting as patiently as we can for the "next Marino". Surely Henne realizes that we've been through a LOT of QBs since Marino. He better start flashing some star talent .... SOON.

You do know we were 0-3 and averaging about 10 ppg with Pennington right?

I will hope for the best today being a die hard dolphins fan. My wife says that im am useless after the dolphins lose. She is a Pats fan so i will have to deal with everyone i know throwing it in my face if the Phins lose. God i hope we can pull this out but pats are 21-1 after a loss in recent history.

Today a win would cap off a perfect weekend! Let's go Fins. Time to fight against the odds again, and smash the Pats in the mouth. JT knows all about doing that!

I am watching ESPN's pre-game show and Joey Porter showed up wearing camoflaged army clothes....even has on a camo hat. He better play like it is a war and not just run his mouth.

I am watching ESPN's pre-game show and Joey Porter showed up wearing camoflaged army clothes....even has on a camo hat. He better play like it is a war and not just run his mouth.

I hope he plays like his career is on the line and not like he blends in w/ the field. Hope it isnt a bad sign for him.

I don't know if Joey Porter is going to be much of a factor today. Apparently his knee is injured again, so eh.

I think we will see Henne have a monster game against a weak Pats def..... i think Henne has his best game today, he knows what is at stake, this is the true test for Henne where we will all see what henne is all about. We win we get a shot for the play offs, we lose and it's basically the season. Go Fins and Henne Win this for us Fans.

Maybe just maybe if we can take a page from the Saints. If Ginn can catch today (fingers crossed) and Henne gets some time they can air it out. If Ginn can get behind the Defence and maybe make a few dep catches.

I think we will see Henne have a monster game against a weak Pats def..... i think Henne has his best game today, he knows what is at stake, this is the true test for Henne where we will all see what henne is all about. We win we get a shot for the play offs, we loose and it's basically the season. Go Fins and Henne Win this for us Fans.
Who's he going to torch them with? Bess? Hartline? Cam? Ginn?

attachment.php

Go Dolphins!!!

35-34!! DOLPHINS!!

so you guys will score double what you did last time when you had Brown? hmm

so you guys will score double what you did last time when you had Brown? hmm
How about 20-0 Dolphins? I went to that game and it was amazing. TB is cursed in Miami, the Fins are pumped up, and the Patriots are upset. It's going to be a hard fought game to the end, but if it's a single point game, Miami will win. They are undefeated in those kind of games.

Back
Top Bottom