Official Game Thread: Argentina vs Ivory Coast | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: Argentina vs Ivory Coast

I wanted to see Messi and Tevez start, and I have always liked Aimar. I wish he would have started instead of Rodriguez, but that is Pekerman's call. I don't like Pekerman as it is, so lets hope this pans out.

Friedel was our first well-rounded top-flight keeper. Remember he was voted best EPL keeper once (as was Howard in his first year at Man U). Keller is highly one-dimensional in the sense that he is the best shot-stopper we have ever produced (especially at very close range), but horrible with his distribution. So, Keller is great against certain teams, but not as much against others. Anyway, in this cup, we don't have the personel to switch keepers for different opponents as we could have in 2002, so it's Keller or bust.

To answer the question directly though, in 2002 Friedel was better (and many would say is still better today, but that's debatable).

Prime Time said:
I am hoping Adu can develop into something, but I am not banking on it.

Yeah, Adu is a wildcard. He unimpressed at the U-20 (unlike Messi), but then again Adu is younger and the interest from top Euro teams (AC Milan and Chelsea) has not abated. So, we'll see.

If he does develop, that's still only one of the two forward spots. We don't have a good target forward. McBride this year is fine, but not anywhere the level of guys like Gooch or so. The only guy I can think of that could be a slightly better McBride is Kenny Cooper, but that's also a project and no one knows how he'll turn out.

ckb2001 said:
Friedel was our first well-rounded top-flight keeper. Remember he was voted best EPL keeper once (as was Howard in his first year at Man U). Keller is highly one-dimensional in the sense that he is the best shot-stopper we have ever produced (especially at very close range), but horrible with his distribution. So, Keller is great against certain teams, but not as much against others. Anyway, in this cup, we don't have the personel to switch keepers for different opponents as we could have in 2002, so it's Keller or bust.

To answer the question directly though, in 2002 Friedel was better (and many would say is still better today, but that's debatable).

I agree Friedel was better. I doubt we could say that now since he hasn't put on the US Jersey since the WC in 2002. But I agree he was the better Overall GK, but Keller is an amazing GK as well. Amazing shot stopper. I am not too sure about what you mean by his distribution, but heck with it. All I know is we had 2 of the Top 15 GKs in the World Cup in 2002.

By distribution I mean how he distributes the ball (especially with his feet) once he gets the ball. Friedel and (even more so) Howard can hit a midfielder or forward in stride jumpstarting the attack. Watch Keller during this WC and you'll see many 50/50 balls once he kicks it away.

ckb2001 said:
By distribution I mean how he distributes the ball (especially with his feet) once he gets the ball. Friedel and (even more so) Howard can hit a midfielder or forward in stride jumpstarting the attack. Watch Keller during this WC and you'll see many 50/50 balls once he kicks it away.

That is what I thought...but I have never really payed much attention to his distribution. I'll take a look during this WC, but I really won't have much to compare to because Howard isn't going to be playing and Friedel is Internationally retired.

Prime Time said:
That is what I thought...but I have never really payed much attention to his distribution. I'll take a look during this WC, but I really won't have much to compare to because Howard isn't going to be playing and Friedel is Internationally retired.

Compare it to Buffon when we play Italy. He is as good as they get.

finsmx said:
I'll go with Ivory Coast on this one, I think they will surprise today

I'm rooting for Ivory Coast too!! Argentina has so much talent, but keeps failing to impress at the WC. I want to see their fans judge their team more on results at the WC than on individual talent of their players. :cooldude:

Amars said:
I hope Arg dont take this team to lightly.

They won't. Pekerman will NOT allow it. He is feeling the pressure to do well after Bielsa's squad crashed out in 2002. The country will not accept another early exit.

ckb2001 said:
I'm rooting for Ivory Coast too!! Argentina has so much talent, but keeps failing to impress at the WC. I want to see their fans judge their team more on results at the WC than on individual talent of their players. :cooldude:

They didn't do poorly in 98....

Prime Time said:
They didn't do poorly in 98....

They didn't do poorly, but when you ask Italian fans or fans of the Netherlands, you'll find more who acknowledge Brazil is in a class of its own than with fans from Argentina. No question Argentina is top 5 (they still win a lot of Copa America etc..), but they are not in the class of Brazil until they get those kinds of results. That's all really, the thinking by many of their fans Argentina is equal to Brazil, that I get a bit riled about.

ckb2001 said:
They didn't do poorly, but when you ask Italian fans or fans of the Netherlands, you'll find more who acknowledge Brazil is in a class of its own than with fans from Argentina. No question Argentina is top 5 (they still win a lot of Copa America etc..), but they are not in the class of Brazil until they get those kinds of results. That's all really, the thinking by many of their fans Argentina is equal to Brazil, that I get a bit riled about.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom