Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: United States vs Czech Republic

Eddie Lewis does look like Robben :lol:

They were saying it on ESPN 2...

I really wish these guys (American announcers) would stop saying Keller is the top goalkeeper in the world!!! There is a reason he never played for one of the top clubs in the world and it's not anti-Americanism. Keller is awesome at shot-stopping, but he's not as all-rounded as Cech, Buffon, Kahn or Lehmann.

Good luck to the U.S, hopefully another good game

ckb2001 said:
I really wish these guys (American announcers) would stop saying Keller is the top goalkeeper in the world!!! There is a reason he never played for one of the top clubs in the world and it's not anti-Americanism. Keller is awesome at shot-stopping, but he's not as all-rounded as Cech, Buffon, Kahn or Lehmann.

I don't think he is the best GK in the world, but he certainly is one of them. Top 10-15.

ckb2001 said:
:eek: Seriously!!! Keller IMO is barely better than Howard and friedel let alone the Cech's and Buffon's of this world. As you rightly say Keller is a fine shot stopper but doesn't show the command of his box you like to see from the top keepers

US Starting Lineup has been announced...

4-5-1....

GK Keller
RB Cherundolo
RCB Pope
LCB Onyewu
LB Lewis
RWM Beasley
RM Reyna
CM Donovan
LM Mastroeni
LWM Convey
F McBride

Key Subs - -

Wolff
Johnson
O'Brien
Bocanegra

Woooo, they just showed the lineup!! 4-5-1

McBride

Convey Mastroeni Donovan Reyna Beasely

Lewis Onyewu Pope Cherundulo

Keller

@@@ said:
:eek: Seriously!!! Keller IMO is barely better than Howard and friedel let alone the Cech's and Buffon's of this world. As you rightly say Keller is a fine shot stopper but doesn't show the command of his box you like to see from the top keepers

I disagree. He is a top 10-15 Keeper..not only that but Friedel was better then him in 2002...and could still be better then him today.

OK, my initial analysis of that starting lineup is this:

The Czechs have maybe two potential weaknesses: 1) lack of speed, and 2) unbalanced formation during attack, allowing for the quick counterstrike.

So, the 4-5-1 allows for a way to take advantage of weakness 2, since overemphasizing one side in attack would allow the US to quickly switch the side of attack during a counter. Speed is something we have anyway so that's a plus.

One worry in this lineup is the left side: both Convey and Lewis are not great at defence and are primarily a threat on offense, so if the Czechs attack on the left, we may be in trouble.

Otherwise, a key will be how the US defends set pieces, since we are generally weak on that while the Czechs are strong at it.

Cech
Buffon
Van Der Saar
Robinson
Casillas
Valdez
Reina
Canizares
Lehman
Kahn
Sanchez
Given

I would say are all better goalkeepers off the top of my head, i think keller falls into the tier below this so maybe top 15-20

27747-1.gif

@@@ said:
Cech
Buffon
Van Der Saar
Robinson
Casillas
Valdez
Reina
Canizares
Lehman
Kahn
Sanchez
Given

I would say are all better goalkeepers off the top of my head, i think keller falls into the tier below this so maybe top 15-20

I could make an argument to get him in Top 10..you listed twelve so like I said Top 10-15...

Back
Top Bottom