Official Game Thread: United States vs Italy | Page 53 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: United States vs Italy

Amars said:
Just watched the US game on TIVO. We played 10x's better. Even though the goal was a own goal I'll take it. US clearly was dominating for most of the game. A bunch of bull crap Red Card that would of could made a difference in the game but that Italy for you they always get the calls. Expect them to win against the Czech, no way italy misses the 2nd round. US has to win against Ghana.
nice sig. they were always gettin helped off the stretcher, like they are weaklings.

One thing I haven't really gotten to brag about is..Onyewu :yes: Amazing, Amazing game. More European teams will be calling...:up:

Prime Time said:
Pope did get the ball first..

No he hardly got the ball and it was a bad tackle and worthy of a yellow. I have to say that I was very unfortunate that the ref gave him a second yellow for that, it was rather harsh but he had the right to give it and so he did. Some refs wouldn't give the second card but this one did.

~soap~ said:
all red cards were well deserved
no they were not, the guy on Italy yes because he elbowed the US player in the face. the US ones were bogus, you can't get a red card just for slide tackling and in this case he got the ball first. the second one was completely bogus

nick1 said:
no they were not, the guy on Italy yes because he elbowed the US player in the face. the US ones were bogus, you can't get a red card just for slide tackling and in this case he got the ball first. the second one was completely bogus

they were both bogus? the first one was definitley a red card. The second one is arguable.

nick1 said:
I always hear it was a second red card. It wasn't, it was yellow. Big difference! And that was yellow, no question. Just a stupid foul for player who already got warned. The one call no one is complaining about was popes' first yellow card. That call was bogus.
The red card was soso. You definitley can give red for that kind of a foul. The problem is the way he whistled the game until that moment. There were a lot of fouls already and he should have given more yellow cards to make clear that he doesn't accept a lot of fouls. He didn't and therefore one may argue about the call.
It still was the most entertaining game so far and very well played be the USA. The way they sent 6,7,8 players in Italys half to attack the ball was fun to watch. I hope they will advance.

culpepper2chambers said:
nice sig. they were always gettin helped off the stretcher, like they are weaklings.

The way you Americans were tackling, I'm not surprised. Attain some one on one defending skills so that kind of play becomes unneccesary. It really does point out your desperation and utmost respect for Italy's skill level.

Tone_E said:
The way you Americans were tackling, I'm not surprised. Attain some one on one defending skills so that kind of play becomes unneccesary. It really does point out your desperation and utmost respect for Italy's skill level.

Just go beat the C-Republic....we will take care of Ghana and we can settle the US vs Italy thing later in the tournament :wink: :D

Alex44 said:
Just go beat the C-Republic....we will take care of Ghana and we can settle the US vs Italy thing later in the tournament :wink: :D

Sounds like a plan to me. Don't mind me though, I'm going to be bitter until Thursday. :mad:

Tone_E said:

Just like your team lack of sportsmanship by giving a elbow to the face. Lets not get started with Italy history of cheating and scandals.

Tone_E said:

:roflmao: Yeah, and maybe If your FWs could grow a pair and stop pulling our jerseys we wouldn't have had to make tackles like that.

Onyewu = Toni's Daddy

Prime Time said:
:roflmao: Yeah, and maybe If your FWs could grow a pair and stop pulling our jerseys we wouldn't have had to make tackles like that.

Onyewu = Toni's Daddy

Onyewu really did well in this game, just the opposite of the Czech game. If he does something similar against Ghana, I think his career will be jumpstarted. He'll probably go to a mid-level EPL team and get a chance to prove himself further. After that, we'll see.

It's interesting to note that ever since Gooch appeared in the U-17 team, fans have been either gushing-over or low-balling him, with neither side really sure which side was more accurate. It's actually still the case that we don't know how much of Gooch's potential will be attained, but he does have great physical tools and shows occasional flashes of great play (like in this game against Italy).

The big question will be consistency and whether he can improve on some of his remaining deficiencies (for example getting caught out of position - he was in no-man's land on at least one of the Czech goals.)

Gooch's strength is marking stronger tougher guys like Toni. His weakness is watching the fleet footed strikers. He is strong and plays strong. He will do better in England than anywhere else since that is more of the style

Washingtonpost has an article explaining Arena's opinion of the ref's calls:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/18/AR2006061800917.html

"The apparent go-ahead goal by American midfielder DaMarcus Beasley in the second half was properly disallowed.

· Referee Jorge Larrionda overreacted in ejecting defender Eddie Pope.

· U.S. midfielder Pablo Mastroeni had only himself to blame for his red card.

· And officiating, in general, in this World Cup has become too harsh and is unfairly punishing players and teams."

Sounds fair to me.

nick1 said:

The Mastroeni tackle was a clear red. Tackling from behind, studs up, didn't get the ball, late. Had to go.

Back
Top Bottom