***Official Miami Excuse Thread*** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official Miami Excuse Thread***

I have never seen a more negative "fan" of a team in my life.

Why? Because I don't drink the ShanCoker kool-aid?

I didn't like Coker either and people told me the same thing. Look how that turned out.

It's nice that Shannon can bring these heralded recruits in and all, but can he develop that talent? That's going to be the question.

And for the record, I did like the Whipple hire, go and look at the thread where the hire is/was announce. I'm just not confident in Shannon.

We didn't have a losing season last year, we went 7-5 during the regular season. We're going to clean up in recruiting in 2010, but I think Randy will be held accountable the following recruiting season. But I think we'll be a national contender by then (better than Paul Johnson and Butch Davis will ever be with their current teams).

Paul Johnson is remarkable because he did so well this year with guys that didn't even fit his system. Butch Davis didn't have a lot to work when he got to UNC, and he's beaten us the last 2 seasons, so he must be doing something right.

I didn't realize that 7-5 now counted as a success at UM. My how times have changed.

Why? Because I don't drink the ShanCoker kool-aid?

I didn't like Coker either and people told me the same thing. Look how that turned out.

It's nice that Shannon can bring these heralded recruits in and all, but can he develop that talent? That's going to be the question.

And for the record, I did like the Whipple hire, go and look at the thread where the hire is/was announce. I'm just not confident in Shannon.

You're right. Some people just don't understand that there's a difference between what they call a "true fan" and then fans like you and I who have perspective and offer casual constructive criticism of the coaching staff and team. "True fan" thinks he's a true fan because he never criticizes the team even when it's warranted. "True fan" always drinks the Kool-Aid. It's ok to watch a game with some objective perspective.

Well that's the thing. I'd love nothing more than for UM to go out and win every game next season, but I'm not confident in Shannon running the show, and I've said as much to the point.

It's not like I've said they're screwed at everything. I've praised the Whipple hire, the recruits, etc, but I'm not pouring the Kool Aid like Poland Spring. There are a ton of questions. Can they develop talent? Hasn't been shown yet. Win a big game when it counts? Hasn't been done so far.

He can recruit, and I realize that many love him because he's a former player, but I'm not sure he's cut out for the job. He was a good DC, don't get me wrong, but Dave Wannstedt was a good DC with Dallas, Cam Cameron was a good OC with San Diego, etc., etc.

Some people are just better off being coordinators than the head guys. Shannon may be one of them.

"Some people are just better off being coordinators than the head guys. Shannon may be one of them."

Bingo...we have a winner!

Paul Johnson is remarkable because he did so well this year with guys that didn't even fit his system. Butch Davis didn't have a lot to work when he got to UNC, and he's beaten us the last 2 seasons, so he must be doing something right.

I didn't realize that 7-5 now counted as a success at UM. My how times have changed.

It's not success at all! That's the point. You're using these other guys as examples when they've done the same things as us! Our losses are disappointments, not due to lack of talent. We beat Va Tech last year pretty badly, but UNC snuck one by us at the last second. We were dominating the majority of that game. There are going to be mental mistakes with young players/coaches. I expect this, but I also know that it's a great learning opportunity for them. You think Jacory's going to let another 2 minute disaster happen? So, it was probably a good thing that it happened at the Emerald Nuts Humanitarian Vegas Hawaii Bowl than in the Orange or Gator Bowl (which I expect us at this year).

Just for some perspective - can anybody name me a rookie head coach that came in to a talent depleted BCS school, and came in and had enormous success?

You're right. Some people just don't understand that there's a difference between what they call a "true fan" and then fans like you and I who have perspective and offer casual constructive criticism of the coaching staff and team. "True fan" thinks he's a true fan because he never criticizes the team even when it's warranted. "True fan" always drinks the Kool-Aid. It's ok to watch a game with some objective perspective.

That's a wild spin of what this thread is about. I just don't understand the Shannon criticism. Butch Davis didn't take Miami to a BCS game until his 6th and final year. Considering how Davis worked around some of the scholarship issues and the fact that we were in the Big East back then, I'd say that Shannon drew more of a challenge than Butch Davis did. I just don't see what the problem is in giving Shannon a chance with his players. He has his QB now, 2 veteran backs, a ton of talent at WR, and just enough talent everywhere else. O-line and secondary are still question marks until those guys can prove themselves, but other than that I'm expecting us to win the ACC this year. I'm not sure how that's drinking any kool-aid, I just have faith in guys like Jacory Harris who have been winners their whole lives, and Ray Ray Armstrong who has that toughness that you can' teach, and Arthur Brown who has talent you can't teach. I think some of you guys just might make college football out to be more like the NFL, where a team can be quickly turned around after one year. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I do have faith that Randy will get to the next level with these guys that he's brought in. If he can't do it with them, then he can't do it with anybody.

Just for some perspective - can anybody name me a rookie head coach that came in to a talent depleted BCS school, and came in and had enormous success?

Houston Nutt just did it at Ole Miss...he wasn't a rookie head coach..but..

Make no mistake...those guys received the best coaching I saw in all of college football last year...

Chris Peterson did it at Boise St...

Some fans don't neccessarily lack faith in Shannon because he was a rookie head coach in 2007...

It's because I don't think they see any improvement in him...

How could Randy Shannon have been the best candidate when he was hired? Just because he was a "U" lifer?

That right there is precisely more of where the problem lies...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think we'll need an excuse this year. With the #1 class in the country from last year maturing, and without the Mavre distraction, we should be good for CENTURIES to come

Yeah I'd say that 15 years of head coaching experience doesn't make you a rookie head coach. I'm sure Nutt is doing a great job at Ole Miss. He has a pretty good QB and that's where it all starts. But he also knows the ins and outs of being a head coach. He wasn't born that way, but through time he's become one of the better coaches.
Chris Peterson has done an outstanding job at Boise St. It's not a BCS conference, but he has done a great job there. Considering they lost their last two bowl games though (Hawaii and Poinsettia) puts some things into perspective though.
I have seen improvement in Randy. For example, the late season swoon started later this year, lol. He's decided to pick the right guys as his coordinators rather than the quick choices.
I think Randy was the right candidate. I think being a U lifer had a lot to do with it. But let's turn it around and why don't you tell me who you thought would have been a better candidate?

Nutt made Snead a good QB...he'd never started a game of college football before...

I think another one of the issues is nobody really wants that job anymore...it's not what it used to be...

Randy Shannon REALLY wanted the job...so maybe he was the best candidate in that respect...but from a qualifications standpoint...I don't think so...

Hiring from within when the program was in the shape it was could never be the best option IMO..

Jimbo Fisher, Rich Rodriguez or Greg Schiano come to mind....I believe Schiano was interviewed and turned it down, correct?

Nutt made Snead a good QB...he'd never started a game of college football before...

I think another one of the issues is nobody really wants that job anymore...it's not what it used to be...

Randy Shannon REALLY wanted the job...so maybe he was the best candidate in that respect...but from a qualifications standpoint...I don't think so...

Hiring from within when the program was in the shape it was could never be the best option IMO..

Jimbo Fisher, Rich Rodriguez or Greg Schiano come to mind....I believe Schiano was interviewed and turned it down, correct?

I'm not sure if I'd go that far with Snead. True he never started a game, but he did have some experience, especially in the Kansas State game. It's not like he was a true freshman or anything.

You can't really bring up guys that didn't want the job, because they aren't really candidates for the job. Greg Schiano was awful with Rutgers when he first got there. I think like 4 years and 3 wins or something like that? Being a head coach isn't as easy as people think. But I think if we give Randy that chance, he could be one of the great college coaches. You just can't expect national championships this soon. And though I expect is to win the conference this year, I don't think it's fair to expect that this early on either.

Ole Miss and Boise St. were far from talent depleted. Ed Orgeron and Dan Hawkins both left there schools with a bunch of talent.

I don't drink the Shannon Kool-Aid, just think it's a little early for this thread. Spring ball hasn't even started.

With all the Shannon bashing....who really thought the 2007 or 2008 teams were really going to be that good. Coker ran the ship into the ground, so I give him a pass for 07. 2008 showed small improvement, not much, but small. If this year isn't a minimum of 9-3 with a chance to win the ACC, I will be the first one to say you're right Cedarphin!

I'm not even trying to be right. I want to see us succeed like anyone else, but I haven't seen anything that really makes me feel confident in it.

This thread is for the excuses people will make if we don't win/get to the ACC title game this year, instead of admitting that maybe Shannon's not cut out to do the job.

I can see the schedule becoming #1 already.

Back
Top Bottom