*Official NHL Offseason Thread* | Page 57 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Official NHL Offseason Thread*

Boik14 said:
The dipietro deal does have injury insurance on it. Further its less then Tomas Vokun signed for per year and I know Dipi is a better goalie that Vokun, not that vokun is bad.

You can insure the hell out of the deal all you want...if he gets hurt or he tanks his salary will ALWAYS count against the cap because it is guarenteed money.

BTW...Vokoun is a better goalie then DePietro.

One more thing, but this is strictly specualtion.

All that money that the Isles think they are potentially saving by giving DePietro a contract that could be below market value if he lives up to his potential?

You can bet your *** he'll want to redo that deal if he starts to outpreform it...all the Isles did was guarentee HIS future.

Bobby Clarke thinks the Dipietro deal could be ''a hell of a deal'' down the line. His, and many others reasoning is that Khabibulin is playing for 6.75M and the cap will only grow. So in 5 years you could see top goaltenders going for 10M per year. The real question is, is Dipietro a top goaltender ? With a 3.02 GAA in 63 games that's hard to believe. It also makes it impossible for the Isles to trade Dipietro as no team will want to absorb that kind of deal down the line. Also, good point by Uni, no question, he will not hesitate to come back and say he wants a 'fair' market value deal if he becomes a world class goaltender.

unifiedtheory said:
You can insure the hell out of the deal all you want...if he gets hurt or he tanks his salary will ALWAYS count against the cap because it is guarenteed money.

BTW...Vokoun is a better goalie then DePietro.
Yeah but thats assuming the worst. I dont expect you to share my endless isles optimism with my orange and blue shades but youre talking about an absolute worst case scenario for a goalie that is in good health.

And Vokoun is definitely not better then Dipi. He played better last season but long term, no way. Dipi has already shown he can play big in big games and if he gets a team in front him, the star will shine.

Pink_Dove said:
Bobby Clarke thinks the Dipietro deal could be ''a hell of a deal'' down the line. His, and many others reasoning is that Khabibulin is playing for 6.75M and the cap will only grow. So in 5 years you could see top goaltenders going for 10M per year. The real question is, is Dipietro a top goaltender ? With a 3.02 GAA in 63 games that's hard to believe. It also makes it impossible for the Isles to trade Dipietro as no team will want to absorb that kind of deal down the line. Also, good point by Uni, no question, he will not hesitate to come back and say he wants a 'fair' market value deal if he becomes a world class goaltender.
****, I digress, if Bobby clarke thinks it was good it probably does suck ****. That man cant tell his *** from his elbow when it comes to goalies.

Boik14 said:
****, I digress, if Bobby clarke thinks it was good it probably does suck ****. That man cant tell his *** from his elbow when it comes to goalies.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

By the way for Dipi, how about 2.29 GAA post all star break last year and 2.36 in 03-04? 3.38 the first half of last year which coincided with the departures of Kenny Jonsson, Adrian Aucoin and Roman Hamrlik the isles 3 best defensemen, repaced with Zhitnik, more responsibility for Niinimaa, and a lot of other minor league caliber junk? Like I said, adding Witt and Hill should help put Dipietro's GAA back in the 2.25- 2.3 range.

A few notes on the dipi deal:
- 4.5m every year
- Fully guaranteed against career ending injury.
- If dipi retires for reason other then injury he forfeits the remaining years
- No no trade claus einvolved
- No opt out or renegotion clause.

Other notes:
Isles signed C Viktor Kozlov to 1 yr/865k
Snow's college roommate from Maine, mike dunham, is trying out today for the backup up goalie spot currently held by wade Dubielwiczsjdgfgjdshvcjnbc

Boik14 said:
Yeah but thats assuming the worst. I dont expect you to share my endless isles optimism with my orange and blue shades but youre talking about an absolute worst case scenario for a goalie that is in good health.

And Vokoun is definitely not better then Dipi. He played better last season but long term, no way. Dipi has already shown he can play big in big games and if he gets a team in front him, the star will shine.
Vokoun has been a full time starter for 3 seasons:

02/03 - 68 Starts, 25 wins, 2.20 GAA, .918 Save %, 3 shutouts
03/04 - 73 Starts, 34 wins, 2.53 GAA, .909 Save %, 3 shutouts
05/06 - 60 Starts, 36 wins, 2.67 GAA, .919 Save %, 4 shutouts

DePietro has been a full time starter for 2 seasons:

03/04 - 47 Starts, 23 Wins, 2.36 GAA, .911 Save %, 5 shutouts
05/06 - 62 Starts, 30 wins, 3.02 GAA, .900 Save %, 1 shutout

Vokoun got sick for the last 1/4of the season last year or his numbers would have been even better. I don't know what you know about him but he's widely thought of as one of the better starting goaltenders in the NHL. I like Depietro and think he could EVENTUALLY be a very good #1 goaltender but calling him better then Vokoun is rampant homerism.

BTW, before you talk about DePietro's leaky defense, save % is the best indication of a goaltenders play. Vokoun's lifetime save % is .912 (in 256 career starts), DePietro's os .900 (in 137 career starts). That ends the arguement from my point of view.

Pink_Dove said:

That is the point everyione is missing. All the Isles did was guarentee HIS future.

Boik14 said:
A few notes on the dipi deal:
- 4.5m every year
- Fully guaranteed against career ending injury.
- If dipi retires for reason other then injury he forfeits the remaining years
- No no trade claus einvolved
- No opt out or renegotion clause.

Other notes:
Isles signed C Viktor Kozlov to 1 yr/865k
Snow's college roommate from Maine, mike dunham, is trying out today for the backup up goalie spot currently held by wade Dubielwiczsjdgfgjdshvcjnbc

Of course their is a no trade...who the hell wants a guy locked in for 15 years?

I'm willing to bet EVERY contract ever signed in sports has a "no renegotion" clause. You can get your house that once he outperforms (if he does) the contract he'll want more money. He'll just hold out and he'll have the team over a barrel.

unifiedtheory said:
Vokoun has been a full time starter for 3 seasons:

02/03 - 68 Starts, 25 wins, 2.20 GAA, .918 Save %, 3 shutouts
03/04 - 73 Starts, 34 wins, 2.53 GAA, .909 Save %, 3 shutouts
05/06 - 60 Starts, 36 wins, 2.67 GAA, .919 Save %, 4 shutouts

DePietro has been a full time starter for 2 seasons:

03/04 - 47 Starts, 23 Wins, 2.36 GAA, .911 Save %, 5 shutouts
05/06 - 62 Starts, 30 wins, 3.02 GAA, .900 Save %, 1 shutout

Vokoun got sick for the last 1/4of the season last year or his numbers would have been even better. I don't know what you know about him but he's widely thought of as one of the better starting goaltenders in the NHL. I like Depietro and think he could EVENTUALLY be a very good #1 goaltender but calling him better then Vokoun is rampant homerism.

BTW, before you talk about DePietro's leaky defense, save % is the best indication of a goaltenders play. Vokoun's lifetime save % is .912 (in 256 career starts), DePietro's os .900 (in 137 career starts). That ends the arguement from my point of view.
Leaky defenses directly correlate to weak save %'s. Losing your top 3 defenseman leaving 1 decent rookie (campoli), 1 decent vet, Zhitnik, and a heaping pile of goo constitutes a weak D. Once they bolstered the D adding, eek, John Eskrine and Grebeshkov, the save percentage went from 88% to 91%. Coincidentally that coincided with april and march, dipi's 2 best months by far. Once dipi got a defenseman or 2 who wouldnt let the other team sit in front of the net, teh save percentage shot up. Tomas Vokoun is a good goalie but dipi has shown he can be a world class goalie but a goalie with a weak D is only as effective as a qb who's OL doesnt protect; you can have an all pro and not even know it. The more I read on this deal the more I like it. For further proof of what Im saying check out dipi's stats from the winter olympics. Thanks for the effort but that ends the discussion from where I sit.

unifiedtheory said:
Of course their is a no trade...who the hell wants a guy locked in for 15 years?

I'm willing to bet EVERY contract ever signed in sports has a "no renegotion" clause. You can get your house that once he outperforms (if he does) the contract he'll want more money. He'll just hold out and he'll have the team over a barrel.
He cant hold out, wang put in a policy from day 1 of his tenure that anyone who hasnt reported by camp will be out of action all season.

If dipietro plays to ability i think quite a few teams may want him.

Boik, I share your optimism on this deal as long as our new defense can perform like they should, DP should start to play like he should. After the Olympic break he was great this year.

Back
Top Bottom