Official Red Sox '05 thread | Page 47 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Red Sox '05 thread

I think its time the Red Sox look at their 2nd base position as Mark Bellhorn, who's defense is actually very underrated, but is seemingly going up to the plate with a wiffle ball bat instead of a baseball bat.

According to rotoworld.com:
"To say Mark Bellhorn is slumping would be an understatement.
He went into last night batting .187 since June 1, with more strikeouts (49) than hits (23) and walks (21) combined. After striking out two more times in his 0-for-3 effort last night, he is now hitting .105 (4-for-38) in July."

I know people will say his OBP is high but he's 11th on the Sox in that stat behind every other Sox hitter (not counting Adam Stern) except Doug Mirabelli and Alex Cora. His batting average is also 12th on the Sox (not including Tim Wakefield or Wade Miller :lol: ) he is only higher then Mirabelli and Cora again. The only plus side of Bellhorn is that he's 1st on the team in walks with BBs (2 ahead of Ortiz) but his 106 K's are 37 more then Manny who is 2nd with 69 K's.

I think it's team that the Red Sox bring up their 2nd base prospect Dustin Pedroia who was playing college ball last year for Arizona State last year. He's been hitting the ball well and fielding well also and is quickly jumping though the Sox farm system (He started the season at Double A in Portland and is now in Pawtucket). I'm not saying get rid of Bellhorn because I think he has good value coming off the bench as a utitilty guy but his hitting is very poor and he's hurting the team by striking out that much (especially since he's not paid to drive in runs and hit home runs). He has become a joke at the plate. Again not taking anything away from what he did last year for the Sox because he was clutch and helped them win the World Series but when are these major league pitchers going to learn to just throw 3 pitches right down the middle and they'll strike him out?

Bring on Pedroia!

FaninPatsyLand said:
Gabe Kapler was picked up by the Red Sox last night, and was placed on the 15 day D.L. As a result, a roster spot is not needed right away.

Kapler was great for us last year, and even though he is a downgrade to Payton offensively, he'll be better for us defensively as well as in the clubhouse. Good signing.

Hopefully Clement pitches well and we get to Johnson early, I'm heading down to Fenway now to grab a bite to eat before the game.

have a good time!

If Bellhorn couldn't get a hit off of the Yankees Triple A pitchers last night, I'd say you call that a slump!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
If Bellhorn couldn't get a hit off of the Yankees Triple A pitchers last night, I'd say you call that a slump!

Speaking of Triple A pitchers, who are they Yanks gonna throw on Sunday? Since Redding only pitched an inning, will we see him in relief?

David Ortiz is the most clutch performer on the Red Sox but my question is who's the biggest rally killer on the Red Sox: Dale Sveum or Mark "Special K" Bellhorn?

Ray Finkle said:
David Ortiz is the most clutch performer on the Red Sox but my question is who's the biggest rally killer on the Red Sox: Dale Sveum or Mark "Special K" Bellhorn?
Bellhorn is just bad...

I gave him props a few weeks ago (which I regret). He doesn't have a bat... He should be hitting #2 (besides the point), but regardless he's been horrible on offense. He's good defensively, but not so wonderful you would put up with his sluggish offensive numbers. If I wanted defense and no bat, we would have kept Pokey Reese.

Okay, I've got to ask: is Dale Sveum on George Steinbrenner's payroll? I refuse to believe a third base coach can be *THAT* incompetent.

phunwin said:
Okay, I've got to ask: is Dale Sveum on George Steinbrenner's payroll? I refuse to believe a third base coach can be *THAT* incompetent.

Some have thought that for years.... Bellhorn can get some points here with a hit of Johnson....

edit: I should have known...
edit: I am losing patience in Edgar, atleast put it in play..

phunwin said:

This is the point, I'm new here and I assume you're a Yankee fan (so if you are you don't know just how bad he is), so you know that Dale has blown 3 BIG spots in 2 games vs. the Yankees, granted they might not have turned the games around but he is just ******ed as the 3rd base coach.

Red Sox fans can list about 10 times in the past 2 years where Dale has screw up. He was also the only member of the Red Sox to get booed during the World Series announcements. He needs to go and go now. With that being said who should replace him? How about Ellis Burks who said in the past he'd like to coach in the majors someday.

GreenMonster said:
Some have thought that for years.... Bellhorn can get some points here with a hit of Johnson....

edit: I should have known...
edit: I am losing patience in Edgar, atleast put it in play..

Yeah Bellhorn can get a few points with his home run off of Johnson but then loses 50 points with that big K that ended the rally.

I know a lot of people who root for the Sox are losing patience with Edgar but aside from his 16 errors at SS (which is horrible from a 2 time gold glove winner), he really hasn't done that bad at the plate for the Sox- especially against the Yankees. Coming into today's game he had a career .398 batting average against them with 4 home runs and 13 or 18 RBIs I believe (sorry I didn't have that stat I'm just trying to guess off the top of my head).

P.S. Some nice nicknames for Bellhorn: Special K or how about just Mar"K" Bellhorn

Ray Finkle said:
This is the point, I'm new here and I assume you're a Yankee fan (so if you are you don't know just how bad he is), so you know that Dale has blown 3 BIG spots in 2 games vs. the Yankees, granted they might not have turned the games around but he is just ******ed as the 3rd base coach.

Red Sox fans can list about 10 times in the past 2 years where Dale has screw up. He was also the only member of the Red Sox to get booed during the World Series announcements. He needs to go and go now. With that being said who should replace him? How about Ellis Burks who said in the past he'd like to coach in the majors someday.

Nah, he's a Mets fan but a big baseball follower. Sveum has a tough job coaching third at Fenway, but whoever is in center today for the Yanks wasn't even charging that ball. Millar would have scored easily.

Bernie was in CF today and you're right he wasn't even charging the ball and when he got the ball he didn't even look to see if Millar was heading home he was getting ready to throw the ball to 3rd base to try and get Mirabelli. And last time I checked Bernie's arm is as good as or weaker then Damon's arm.

Back
Top Bottom