Offseason - Ireland has us going into to draft with no real needs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason - Ireland has us going into to draft with no real needs

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
Although I dont agree with all the moves (signing Ellerbe, releasing Burnett), nobody can argue that we are going into draft, for once, in a position of strength.

Many consider the O'line and Secondary to be the major areas of weakness, although we could start with what we currently have - MARTIN-COG-POUNCEY-JERRY-GARNER. I also think Lance Louis will challenge for a spot.

Same with the secondary - GRIMES-CARROLL-CLEMONS-JONES. Richard Marshall who was injured last year, could also challenge for CB or FS. We also have Jimmy Wilson & Dimitri Patterson (whom I would release).

I think for once we could go BPA or have one eye on 2014.

I like Jonathan Cooper. Couple of reasons. He fits ZBS, could start immediately and both Cog & Jerry are FA next year and not ideal for scheme.

I would though be happy with one of the DE's, DT's or even Tyler Eifert.

Normally this time of year we are talking NEED, NEED, NEED. This time we have options and draft picks which is exciting waiting for April 25th:up:

Can the current roster win the Super Bowl? If your answer is no, then we have needs.

Not really true. Even a highly objective observer should be able to easily note that the tackle position is not just a "need" but a "must" at this point.

The Dolphins tend to think of their positions as "must", "need" or "want".

They have one "must" and that is tackle.

They do have several other "needs" though, and those include pass rusher, corner and tailback. Tailback may even be a "must" to them. That could go either way.

Agreed, I think the most important positions we should be drafting starters for are OT and CB. After that, you could be drafting for players competing to start at OG, DE, RB and FS, and drafting depth at DT, WR, TE, CB, LB, DE, and K

Didn't even read the post, because that title is just as false as can be

If this is true we should definitely not only get into the playoffs but at least win one game.

Yes we need a OT bad. I think they really want one of the top 3 OT prospects and will move up as high as 6 to get one.

With our luck though, all three will go in the top 5.

Not really true. Even a highly objective observer should be able to easily note that the tackle position is not just a "need" but a "must" at this point.

The Dolphins tend to think of their positions as "must", "need" or "want".

They have one "must" and that is tackle.

They do have several other "needs" though, and those include pass rusher, corner and tailback. Tailback may even be a "must" to them. That could go either way.

I think drafting Cooper would improve the line more than taking Lane Johnson. It would allow Martin to stay at LT, of which I believe he is at his best. Incognito to RG of which he is at his best, allowing Garner & Jerry to compete at RT.

our first pick ought to be a playmaker like Werner or a top LB. Our 2nd pick can be Armstead, RT.

I think drafting Cooper would improve the line more than taking Lane Johnson. It would allow Martin to stay at LT, of which I believe he is at his best. Incognito to RG of which he is at his best, allowing Garner & Jerry to compete at RT.

That's just your inner cheapness talking because you don't want to spend what it takes to trade up for Lane Johnson and are a settler so you've convinced yourself that Cooper would be better. Absolute nonsense, normanii. Not even a question that we NEED Lane Johnson and not Cooper.

Remember these two names when our first two picks are called.......LANE JOHNSON AND MANTI TEO. Remember. .. ;)

No real needs? How about Cornerback? Tackle? Guard? FS Clemons only signed a 1 year deal, RB Daniel Thomas is probably not going to be sticking around unless he turns his game around, DT Starks is only signed for 1 year. Every position I just listed I consider a need.

Tackle isn't a need.... It's a huge awful gaping hole.
Not only that but we still need at least one corner, another pass rusher, a runningback, a guard, and a tight end. A young coverage FS certainly wouldn't hurt either.

I've narrowed down my first round wants to Johnson, Eifert or Jarvis Jones. We can't solve ALL of our problems in one off season, but we can actually come pretty damn close if we have a great draft.

Back
Top Bottom