Offseason - Ireland has us going into to draft with no real needs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by normaniii, Apr 11, 2013.

1. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Although I dont agree with all the moves (signing Ellerbe, releasing Burnett), nobody can argue that we are going into draft, for once, in a position of strength.

Many consider the O'line and Secondary to be the major areas of weakness, although we could start with what we currently have - MARTIN-COG-POUNCEY-JERRY-GARNER. I also think Lance Louis will challenge for a spot.

Same with the secondary - GRIMES-CARROLL-CLEMONS-JONES. Richard Marshall who was injured last year, could also challenge for CB or FS. We also have Jimmy Wilson & Dimitri Patterson (whom I would release).

I think for once we could go BPA or have one eye on 2014.

I like Jonathan Cooper. Couple of reasons. He fits ZBS, could start immediately and both Cog & Jerry are FA next year and not ideal for scheme.

I would though be happy with one of the DE's, DT's or even Tyler Eifert.

Normally this time of year we are talking NEED, NEED, NEED. This time we have options and draft picks which is exciting waiting for April 25th:up:

2. z926538

z926538 Rookie

Can the current roster win the Super Bowl? If your answer is no, then we have needs.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Not really true. Even a highly objective observer should be able to easily note that the tackle position is not just a "need" but a "must" at this point.

The Dolphins tend to think of their positions as "must", "need" or "want".

They have one "must" and that is tackle.

They do have several other "needs" though, and those include pass rusher, corner and tailback. Tailback may even be a "must" to them. That could go either way.

4. steveo style

steveo style Scout Team Donator

Agreed, I think the most important positions we should be drafting starters for are OT and CB. After that, you could be drafting for players competing to start at OG, DE, RB and FS, and drafting depth at DT, WR, TE, CB, LB, DE, and K

5. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Didn't even read the post, because that title is just as false as can be

6. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

If this is true we should definitely not only get into the playoffs but at least win one game.

7. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

Yes we need a OT bad. I think they really want one of the top 3 OT prospects and will move up as high as 6 to get one.

With our luck though, all three will go in the top 5.

8. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

I think drafting Cooper would improve the line more than taking Lane Johnson. It would allow Martin to stay at LT, of which I believe he is at his best. Incognito to RG of which he is at his best, allowing Garner & Jerry to compete at RT.

9. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

our first pick ought to be a playmaker like Werner or a top LB. Our 2nd pick can be Armstead, RT.

10. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

That's just your inner cheapness talking because you don't want to spend what it takes to trade up for Lane Johnson and are a settler so you've convinced yourself that Cooper would be better. Absolute nonsense, normanii. Not even a question that we NEED Lane Johnson and not Cooper.

Remember these two names when our first two picks are called.......LANE JOHNSON AND MANTI TEO. Remember. .. ;)

11. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

No real needs? How about Cornerback? Tackle? Guard? FS Clemons only signed a 1 year deal, RB Daniel Thomas is probably not going to be sticking around unless he turns his game around, DT Starks is only signed for 1 year. Every position I just listed I consider a need.

12. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

OT, CB, TE, DE that can pass rush

13. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Really?

14. ahmilli

ahmilli Rookie Finheaven VIP

We have a lot of needs!!

15. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Tackle isn't a need.... It's a huge awful gaping hole.
    Not only that but we still need at least one corner, another pass rusher, a runningback, a guard, and a tight end. A young coverage FS certainly wouldn't hurt either.

I've narrowed down my first round wants to Johnson, Eifert or Jarvis Jones. We can't solve ALL of our problems in one off season, but we can actually come pretty damn close if we have a great draft.

16. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Obviously, many of you misunderstood the basic premise. The team does not have a position so weak that they should have to reach for a certain player.
    Some of you will never be happy if there aren't 22 pro bowl caliber players starting on this team.
    Most teams in the league (including the Pats) have multiple positions they would like to upgrade.
    The Phins are a competitive team. What has kept them from competing with the upper echelon teams are 2-3 impact players on both sides of the ball. Therefore, the pick at 12 should be such a player (regardless of perceived need). If its a DT, then so be it.

17. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

If only it were true... 2015, maybe.

18. finsfan4life

finsfan4life In Dawn We Trust!

Let's keep in mind that we can still fill some of these positions after the draft is over. It may not be what people want, but it can be done. For me, there are certain players that I'd like, especially in the first round. I'd be happy with Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, Dee Milliner, Bjoern Werner, Desmond Trufant, Tyler Eifert, Kenny Vaccaro, Tavon Austin, Jonathan Cooper, or Chance Warmack. Basically, I don't want a tackle. :chuckle:

19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I didn't misunderstand anything. It's a false premise.

20. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Need to understand it is way to early to tipping your hand as to what your needs are or who you like as other teams may like the same player to which will drive up the cost of possibly having to trade up to fight off other teams to get that player.

21. finsfan4life

finsfan4life In Dawn We Trust!

Yeah, every team in the league is saying that they don't have any needs right now. Also, I'm still hoping that this tackle talk is to get KC to come down on their price for Albert, or to get Eric Winston to take a one year deal.

22. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

The only thing that truly matters is that we have our QB going into the draft.

23. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

OT...RDE...CB...OG...FS...TE and a partridge in a pear tree. But other than that...yeah were set!

24. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

The concept of drafting for need in and of itself is a poor strategy. We are a mediocre team. EVERY pick should be BPA

25. mbhcu98

mbhcu98 Well-Known Member

I agree. We don't have to reach in this draft for any player for need. We have starters at every position among the line and if all is well, with these players we COULD have a decent line. IF Louis is healthy he is the starting RG. IF Jerry comes in in shape he COULD be the RT. The same can be said for CB, DL, TE, WR etc....(except for RB- DT doesn't count). I actually like Cooper but, I want a playmaker.

26. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

There is a difference between need and want. Previous drafts we have needed to fill a position as we had nobody pencilled in to start. This year we could currently fill out our depth chart. Thus, we can go into draft picking BPA or having an eye on 2014.

I'm not disputing that there are areas we could improve on, but every NFL team has that, including the Ravens, 49ers and the Patriots.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  27. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

If you're listing your CBs and you have NOLAN CARROL as the #2 CB listed than that's a need my friend

Doesn't matter because he's the 4th CB. I like our CB rotation THIS YEAR.

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

we still have one starter one good nickel and one not so good nickel. so cb is still quite a need

29. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

that would be a question that nobody can answer for sure , because any given sunday any team CAN WIN .

30. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

any given sunday but sunday after sunday is the question

31. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

we will never now until we see this group out on the field together.but it could happen ,consistance

32. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

No real needs???? C'Mon Man!!!! Who do we have right now at CB that excites you????

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

it could happen but we still got alot of holes

34. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Granted I would prefer Milliner over Nolan Carroll, but I'm sure there are over 20 NFL teams Milliner could start on. It's not about just improving on one position, I'm stating that Nolan Carroll or even Richard Marshall could currently start opposite grimes, thus there is not a need.

I want a CB, but I do not want to trade up for one. After milliner there is not one CB I could say is a dead cert starter day one

35. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

hell any player could start but neither of those players is even close to an average nfl starter. i mean look at rt u could start yeatman but does that actually mean anything good

36. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Why mention yeatman? He is not going to be RT. It will most likely be Nate Garner. Now if u feel replacing Garner is a need, ill take your point, but in my mind Nate garner came in and played quite well at the end of season. Now don't get me wrong we can upgrade and I agree the top 3 would be better, but that does not make it a NEED.

37. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

NAte Garner as we all know is also not a person that should start in NFL the rest of the NFL knows that. Hell a 3rd round tackle will be an upgrade

38. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Id rather John Jerry start at RT than Nate Garner