Offseason - Ireland has us going into to draft with no real needs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason - Ireland has us going into to draft with no real needs

Obviously, many of you misunderstood the basic premise. The team does not have a position so weak that they should have to reach for a certain player.
Some of you will never be happy if there aren't 22 pro bowl caliber players starting on this team.
Most teams in the league (including the Pats) have multiple positions they would like to upgrade.
The Phins are a competitive team. What has kept them from competing with the upper echelon teams are 2-3 impact players on both sides of the ball. Therefore, the pick at 12 should be such a player (regardless of perceived need). If its a DT, then so be it.

Let's keep in mind that we can still fill some of these positions after the draft is over. It may not be what people want, but it can be done. For me, there are certain players that I'd like, especially in the first round. I'd be happy with Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, Dee Milliner, Bjoern Werner, Desmond Trufant, Tyler Eifert, Kenny Vaccaro, Tavon Austin, Jonathan Cooper, or Chance Warmack. Basically, I don't want a tackle. :chuckle:

Obviously, many of you misunderstood the basic premise. The team does not have a position so weak that they should have to reach for a certain player.
Some of you will never be happy if there aren't 22 pro bowl caliber players starting on this team.
Most teams in the league (including the Pats) have multiple positions they would like to upgrade.
The Phins are a competitive team. What has kept them from competing with the upper echelon teams are 2-3 impact players on both sides of the ball. Therefore, the pick at 12 should be such a player (regardless of perceived need). If its a DT, then so be it.

I didn't misunderstand anything. It's a false premise.

No real needs? How about Cornerback? Tackle? Guard? FS Clemons only signed a 1 year deal, RB Daniel Thomas is probably not going to be sticking around unless he turns his game around, DT Starks is only signed for 1 year. Every position I just listed I consider a need.
Need to understand it is way to early to tipping your hand as to what your needs are or who you like as other teams may like the same player to which will drive up the cost of possibly having to trade up to fight off other teams to get that player.

Yeah, every team in the league is saying that they don't have any needs right now. Also, I'm still hoping that this tackle talk is to get KC to come down on their price for Albert, or to get Eric Winston to take a one year deal.

OT...RDE...CB...OG...FS...TE and a partridge in a pear tree. But other than that...yeah were set!

The concept of drafting for need in and of itself is a poor strategy. We are a mediocre team. EVERY pick should be BPA

I agree. We don't have to reach in this draft for any player for need. We have starters at every position among the line and if all is well, with these players we COULD have a decent line. IF Louis is healthy he is the starting RG. IF Jerry comes in in shape he COULD be the RT. The same can be said for CB, DL, TE, WR etc....(except for RB- DT doesn't count). I actually like Cooper but, I want a playmaker.

There is a difference between need and want. Previous drafts we have needed to fill a position as we had nobody pencilled in to start. This year we could currently fill out our depth chart. Thus, we can go into draft picking BPA or having an eye on 2014.

I'm not disputing that there are areas we could improve on, but every NFL team has that, including the Ravens, 49ers and the Patriots.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're listing your CBs and you have NOLAN CARROL as the #2 CB listed than that's a need my friend

Doesn't matter because he's the 4th CB. I like our CB rotation THIS YEAR.

If you're listing your CBs and you have NOLAN CARROL as the #2 CB listed than that's a need my friend

Doesn't matter because he's the 4th CB. I like our CB rotation THIS YEAR.

we still have one starter one good nickel and one not so good nickel. so cb is still quite a need

Back
Top Bottom