OGUN situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OGUN situation

ryyyan24

Starter
Reaction score
http://nfl.com/news/story/7463417

The Ogunleye flap has prompted speculation that the Dolphins might be willing to trade him away, perhaps to the Washington Redskins. I wouldn't count on it.

For all of Jason Taylor's tremendous pass-rushing skill, the Dolphins' defense would lose plenty without Ogunleye. Taylor and Ogunleye complement each other as well as any defensive-end pairing in the league. I've heard the argument that Ogunleye would be ordinary, at best, if Taylor wasn't on the other side of the line. I don't agree. Perhaps he wouldn't have led the AFC with 15 sacks last season, but he still would have been effective. He is consistently aggressive, combines great quickness and leverage to be a pass-rushing terror, and is strong enough to shut down the run.

Although the sides apparently have reached an impasse because of a disagreement over guaranteed money, I am convinced the Dolphins will begin pushing hard to strike a deal in late July, just before the start of training camp. I think Ogunleye is motivated to be with the team for a full 16-game season because he wants to build upon last year's success and do what, for him, is possible -- become one of the most dominant defensive players in the league.

I'm a skins fan up in DC and the rumor going around today is that our teams are negotiating a trade and the current deal looks like Ogunleye for Samuels.

Have you guys heard anything like that?

drboogerlips said:
I'm a skins fan up in DC and the rumor going around today is that our teams are negotiating a trade and the current deal looks like Ogunleye for Samuels.

Yeah, we've heard that too. Don't know if it's true though...

Are you guys not happy with Samuels?

I don't know if the rumor is true, but I'd like to know what Redskins fans think of Samuels. I noticed in the Lindy's preview mag they mentioned that Samuels was coming off of two subpar years.

I probably sound stupid here but who is Samuels?? What position does he play and how good is he because he must be pretty good if we are gonna give the Skins OGUN for him.

Chris Samuels. He is a Left Tackle. 2nd pick in the draft a few years ago I believe.

3rd overall in 2000 if memory serves, he is a pro bowl LT and with him on the team the OL all of a suddenly looks VERY GOOD particularly the left side. I dont know if Smith can play RT but man if he can move Carey inside to RG you have Samuels, James, McKinney,Carey and Smith

drboogerlips said:

We heard that too, but personally I doubt it. Im not too sure what kind of cap room you guys have but if you trade Samuels then the nearly 9mil remaining of his signing bonus comes due against your cap immediately. Then of course you would have to pay Ogunleye's salary, and the numbers he is looking for isnt exactly peanuts. After the offseason moves you've already made, (brunell, portis, etc.) I doubt you could afford it unless you have magicians doing your books.

drboogerlips said:

Sounds good to me .....except, you'll have to throw in Gardner or a first rd pick. AO for Samuels stright up, ain't enough.

I love O-gun....but if it's him or Chambers..well bye OG....I wouldnt be in tears if we traded him for Samuels and a 1st....or even Samuels and a 2006 2nd rounder..just because I hate having THAT expensive of a Defense....I know Madison is likely gone after this year but still....we gotta think about the future..and even though he is young and would be great to have another 5 years....Im not sure this team can give Kearse money to keep him...Im getting kind of worried about our team 3-5 years down the line..

Samuels is well liked around here. He had two bad seasons under Spurrier but we all know Spurriers philosophy was pass first, protect second. He's definitely talented and has good character. The issue for us is that we dont know if we'll be able to re-sign or keep him due to his cap number next year. He has also refused to restructure. The rest of our O-line is above average so we probably figure we can make the sacrifice to help our pathetic D-line.

I dont know what the cap implications would be of trading Samuels, but I imagine it would give us cap space to sign Wale. Regarding our cap, I think we cook the books because I dont know how the hell we sign all these people either.

Regardless, I think this trade makes sense for both of us.

Why would we trade away a big money guy for another big money guy, when we have a LT. Granted Samuels is a better player, and his best days are ahead of him, but to be able to restructure a deal would be a must, and it would have to be cap friendly. I would rather Samuels then Ogun. We could honestly have within a few years the best O-line if Football.

yankeehillbilly said:
We heard that too, but personally I doubt it. Im not too sure what kind of cap room you guys have but if you trade Samuels then the nearly 9mil remaining of his signing bonus comes due against your cap immediately. Then of course you would have to pay Ogunleye's salary, and the numbers he is looking for isnt exactly peanuts. After the offseason moves you've already made, (brunell, portis, etc.) I doubt you could afford it unless you have magicians doing your books.
I am sure part of the deal would be a Samuels restructure!

Back
Top Bottom