OGUN situation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OGUN situation

There is no way Miami trades Ogun for Samuels stright up. Only an idiot wiould do that. If there is a deal with Washington it's for Samuels and a first or second rounder next year. That's a fact. Also, Wade Smith is gonna be fine so i think the rumors about this trade is all bullcrap.

yankeehillbilly said:
We heard that too, but personally I doubt it. Im not too sure what kind of cap room you guys have but if you trade Samuels then the nearly 9mil remaining of his signing bonus comes due against your cap immediately. Then of course you would have to pay Ogunleye's salary, and the numbers he is looking for isnt exactly peanuts. After the offseason moves you've already made, (brunell, portis, etc.) I doubt you could afford it unless you have magicians doing your books.

Good post.:)

I looked into the Skins cap a little more.

From the Associated Press
The Washington Redskins cut linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, running back Trung Canidate and guard Dave Fiore on Wednesday, saving the team about $4.7 million under the salary cap for 2004. ...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1814304

Even though Clayton had the Skins $1.63 million under the cap on 4/22/04 lets round the numbers to make things easy.

$2 million + $5 cleared on 6/02 without considering any minor signings gives them about $7 million under the cap.

Lets say I made a $2 million mistake on Samuel's total cap charge for being traded because of a $1 million roster bonus each for 2006 and 2007. That leaves an $8 million cap charge to trade Samuels if he agrees to restructure his contract for the Dolphins which he hasn't for the Skins.

Thus the Skins have to clear at least $1 million more to trade Samuels, at least $3 million to sign Wale and a cushion of at least half a mil for emergencies going into the season. That's at least $4.5 million of cap room to clear and still have only 51 players counting towards the cap. I haven't bothered with numbers for Sean Taylor since he hired the Postons he may not get signed. :lol:

The $4.5 million means one very good player or lots of depth has to go. ???

finzfan4life said:
There is no way Miami trades Ogun for Samuels stright up. Only an idiot wiould do that. If there is a deal with Washington it's for Samuels and a first or second rounder next year. That's a fact. Also, Wade Smith is gonna be fine so i think the rumors about this trade is all bullcrap.

I think you guys are crazy if you expect a 1st and Samuels for Ogunleye. Samuels for Ogunleye straight up is a very good trade. Both are Probowlers in positions we each need. It'd be as even as they come.

Merman said:
Good post.:)

I looked into the Skins cap a little more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1814304

Even though Clayton had the Skins $1.63 million under the cap on 4/22/04 lets round the numbers to make things easy.

$2 million + $5 cleared on 6/02 without considering any minor signings gives them about $7 million under the cap.

Lets say I made a $2 million mistake on Samuel's total cap charge for being traded because of a $1 million roster bonus each for 2006 and 2007. That leaves an $8 million cap charge to trade Samuels if he agrees to restructure his contract for the Dolphins which he hasn't for the Skins.

Thus the Skins have to clear at least $1 million more to trade Samuels, at least $3 million to sign Wale and a cushion of at least half a mil for emergencies going into the season. That's at least $4.5 million of cap room to clear and still have only 51 players counting towards the cap. I haven't bothered with numbers for Sean Taylor since he hired the Postons he may not get signed. :lol:

The $4.5 million means one very good player or lots of depth has to go. ???
Welcome back to the new NFL, Mr. Gibbs. :lol:

sbh1602 said:
Not to be picky, infins, but..

how can he be welcome BACK to the NEW NFL? ;)
The salary cap didn't exist the last time Gibbs coached. For him, acquiring players is a whole new process.

bakedmatt said:
I think you guys are crazy if you expect a 1st and Samuels for Ogunleye. Samuels for Ogunleye straight up is a very good trade. Both are Probowlers in positions we each need. It'd be as even as they come.
A pro bowl left tackle for a pro bowl defensive end straight up is not an even trade. A defensive end is much more valuable. Don't know where you get your info. from for value of position players.

finzfan4life said:
A pro bowl left tackle for a pro bowl defensive end straight up is not an even trade. A defensive end is much more valuable. Don't know where you get your info. from for value of position players.
That's simply not true. Both are hard to find. In fact there are LESS elite left tackles than elite defensive ends. Ogun for Samuels is a fair trade straight-up.

LIQUID24 said:
That's simply not true. Both are hard to find. In fact there are LESS elite left tackles than elite defensive ends. Ogun for Samuels is a fair trade straight-up.
Well, not in my book. I would want samuels and at least a second for him. But the trade isn't gonna happen anyways. Redskins do not have cap room for Wally anyways. They are only 1.6 million under cap. They are gonna need a hell of alot more under salary cap to get ogun signed.

How does this trade make sense? We just forget all about how muh we were excited for Wade Smiths bright future? No way we need to LT's on our team tht should both b starting. You guys seem to be under the impression tht a switch from LT to RT is no prob!WRONG! RT's r way bigger and simply need to b bulkier. Wade Smith would make a below average RT. Unless Samuels can make tht switch to RT there is no point in getting him. And even then DE's r more valuable then RT's, so id say a 1st or 3rd rounder would have to come wit it

finzfan4life said:
Well, not in my book. I would want samuels and at least a second for him. But the trade isn't gonna happen anyways. Redskins do not have cap room for Wally anyways. They are only 1.6 million under cap. They are gonna need a hell of alot more under salary cap to get ogun signed.
I agree it's unlikely, but it could happen. Trading Samuels would save them some money. The question would be, can we afford to take on Samuel's salary? Not likely. He would definitely have to restructure his contract if we trade for him.

i think wale has been to extreme with his contract negotiations. Your team and love for the game should come before big bucks. Your a pro football player, your gonna get paid one way or the other. He likes money more then a super bowl ring and as a fan i disagree totally with his attitude.

As for a trade for Samuels, i think its very unlikely seeing as how both teams dont have the cap space to be playing around with. Samuels would be a nice acquisition to our team but id much rather have a 1st rounder which i think Ogunleye is worth.

A first rounder and possibly a nice punt returner or an AVERAGE linemen. But the First Rounder i beleive is a neccessity.

LIQUID24 said:
I agree it's unlikely, but it could happen. Trading Samuels would save them some money. The question would be, can we afford to take on Samuel's salary? Not likely. He would definitely have to restructure his contract if we trade for him.

The whole point is Samuels will cost the Skins at least $8 million in cap room this year to trade him not save them anything.

Samuel's base salary is $5 million this year and he has no incentive to restructure. What are the Skins going to do, cut him???

Back
Top Bottom