Ok...Final Draft Thoughts! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ok...Final Draft Thoughts!

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I don't hate the overall draft per say, If we had a QB I would quite happy with it.

What bothers me the most is Ireland's statement that this team is not desperate for a QB, some of you obviously disagree, but I will put my reputation on the line that Henne will never be an adequate QB in this league.

I do think we will regret not getting a QB in this draft and whether some of you want to admit it or not, we had chances to move up for Blaine Gabbert, and to draft Colin Kaepernick or Andy Dalton, and yes Ryan Mallett. It was this regimes job to identify who among them could lead this team to a title and go get them. Just as it was thier job to realize Matt Ryan was a franchise QB, and that Pat White and Chad Henne were not. This is how their jobs get evaluated, by the decisions they make. Its not unfair to bring this up.

Some think its all negativity, but I'm just tired of the QB position being neglected since 1983 in regards to the first round.

I would argue that Henne is already an adequate QB in this league-- he just hasn't shown noticeable improvement.

The Dolphins' biggest problem last year on offense was not Henne, although he certainly did not help the situation. The biggest issue was the inability to run between the tackles due to a lack of push from the interior linemen. A run based offense that averages 3.7 YPC is not acceptable to say the least. Teams were not stacking the box nearly as much as you would think either.

With that in mind, Ireland/Sparano used the early part of the draft to address the glaring issues in the running game in an effort to open up the passing game. This is their philosophy, whether you or I agree with their philosophy is irrelevant because that will always remain as long as they are in charge of the team.

As far as the quarterbacks in this draft; there were some extreme reaches to say the least. I don't just mean Christian Ponder either, I mean the quarterbacks as a whole this year were taken significantly higher than their ability warranted due to the excessively high demand. The Dolphins got good value with their picks, and weren't pressured into selecting a QB just for the sake of selecting one.

Henne will compete with a veteran, most likely Matt Hasselbeck or Vince Young-- I don't foresee Mike Brown agreeing to the release of Carson Palmer.

Weren't we singing Henne's praise in 2009? Everybody was saying finally, a good QB since Marino with all kinds of upside. Especially after his great performance in the Monday night game vs the Jets.
Just saying, it's not impossible he can put it together with better protection, no Henning calling plays, and a running game.
Let's just see.
And I bet something is in the works with a QB via FA or trade.

Just for the record, I don't hate the overall draft per say, If we had a QB I would quite happy with it.

What bothers me the most is Ireland's statement that this team is not desperate for a QB, some of you obviously disagree, but I will put my reputation on the line that Henne will never be an adequate QB in this league.

I do think we will regret not getting a QB in this draft and whether some of you want to admit it or not, we had chances to move up for Blaine Gabbert, and to draft Colin Kaepernick or Andy Dalton, and yes Ryan Mallett. It was this regimes job to identify who among them could lead this team to a title and go get them. Just as it was thier job to realize Matt Ryan was a franchise QB, and that Pat White and Chad Henne were not. This is how their jobs get evaluated, by the decisions they make. Its not unfair to bring this up.

Some think its all negativity, but I'm just tired of the QB position being neglected since 1983 in regards to the first round.

it is funny they didnt bother drafting a qb at all
like they have a secret plan in place like Pennington's twin brother or
a hidden gem qb that everybody else is overlooking..

Weren't we singing Henne's praise in 2009? Everybody was saying finally, a good QB since Marino with all kinds of upside. Especially after his great performance in the Monday night game vs the Jets.
Just saying, it's not impossible he can put it together with better protection, no Henning calling plays, and a running game.
Let's just see.

It's too bad we can't play the Jets 16 times a year. Henne owns the Jets for some reason. And he's total garbage versus everyone else.

Ireland saying that this team is not desperate for a QB is laughable. Anyone we bring in via FA or trade is not going to be a long term answer at the position, maybe a stop-gap and that's it. We will be lucky to win 6 games next year.

You have a high opinion of the buffoons in our FO. There is no secret plan. They are living in the past and have not adapted to the modern NFL. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about their secret plan when Henne and the "secret plan" QB they bring in are stinking up the joint.

Final draft thoughts: "Can we get a mulligan?"

I agree, unless they truly are morons they must have a vet in mind they are going after.

Let's just see.

I wasn't praising Henne I was cautioning everyone to temper their excitement and expectations. Trust me I have a buttload of negative rep and hate messages to prove it.

As far as the draft I am ok with everything, but Pouncey. For everyone claiming he will be a 10 time probowler, I wonder if they even noticed his struggles with the top defensive tackles in the SEC, but now all a sudden he will be All Pro against Wilfork, Jenkins, etc.

It's true Matt Ryan is a franchise QB, but there were no frachise QBs in this draft. This was not the year to pick a QB.

seu8th-1.jpg

Unlike the Pat Whites, Teddy Ginns and Shawn Murphys of the recent past, these are good players who will fill specific needs immediately. I don't think anyone can debate that. However, I fault this Regime for providence placing them in the position to do even better with or without burning 2 draft picks, and not seizing the opportunity.

It's true Matt Ryan is a franchise QB, but there were no frachise QBs in this draft. This was not the year to pick a QB.

Thats your opinion, doesn't mean your right. Time will tell.

If Mallett takes over for Brady in a few years and beats us like a drum, it will not go unnoticed by everyone. And will certainly be a stain on Ireland's legacy.

Thats your opinion, doesn't mean your right. Time will tell.

If Mallett takes over for Brady in a few years and beats us like a drum, it will not go unnoticed by everyone. And will certainly be a stain on Ireland's legacy.

I have no faith this regime would develop Mallet so I am not going to play the what if game on him. Honestly I am ok they didn't take a QB this year none really excited me and like I said a couple times before " do we really need a roster full of developmental or project QBs being developed by a QB coach with no experience?"

That's fine...don't get a QB...But don't overpay for a GUARD...
Don't trade picks for a average RB.
Don't say we won't take a chance on a QB with 1st rd talent
in the third because of character concerns after we overpaid
for a primadonna,wife beating psychopath wideout with known
character issues.
This isn't about a QB...It's about a incompetent front office that
is still Parcells Jr...all the way down.

I have no faith this regime would develop Mallet so I am not going to play the what if game on him. Honestly I am ok they didn't take a QB this year none really excited me and like I said a couple times before " do we really need a roster full of developmental or project QBs being developed by a QB coach with no experience?"

Well if you are correct, then this regime shouldn't even be here.

I really think we have to go with the assumption that this regime knows how to coach in regards to drafting stradegy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom