One thing Tannehill and Dan the Man definitely have in common... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One thing Tannehill and Dan the Man definitely have in common...

hopefully they won't have the lack of super bowl titles in common

hopefully they won't have the lack of super bowl titles in common

Lets not even mention that. Regardless of superbowls though I think Dan marino was the greatest qb to ever play the game. Qb's get too much blame and too much praise in the NFL for winning it all.

I know a lot of Dolphin fans want to find some similarities between the two but they are not even close in comparison. First Dan wasn't mobile at all. Dan really wasn't much of an athlete. Dan was fiercely competitive and wore his emotions on his sleeve. Ryan has a very calm demeanor on the outside. He may have the same competitive fire but you don't see it in his actions. I know he is a rookie. Maybe he will grow into that roll but he doesn't strike me as an emotional player at all. They both have strong arms. I'm not sure if Ryan has as quick of a release as Dan either. I really don't see the comparison. I think Ryan is closer to a Brette Farve imho.

That's not right to say. There's different types of mobile. You could be mobile like Fran Tarkenton or Romo and run around and keep the play alive, eluding defenders and having a keen eye for getting the ball off to an open receiver at the last second, or you could be mobile Like Marino, not fast, he's not going to outrun a lot of people. But there are not a lot of QB's better than Marino at stepping/sliding away from a sack, re-setting his feet, and firing a laser for a TD. Marino could just feel the pocket in a way, he was able to sense pressure and avoid it by using his feet, not running away, but doing the little moves that were just enough. Marino used to avoid sacks by kind of just slightly sliding to the left and pushing the defender out of the way with his left arm and then buy himself an extra couple of seconds to find an open man.

So, while Marino wasn't exactly Fran Tarkenton he was still a mobile QB.

And also, I don't think it's a very good thing for Tannehill to show his emotions so early in his career. While whenever Marino did it he looked like a leader and someone who loves the game, he was an elite QB after his 2nd year and people respected him. If you try to show your emotions without respect, you turn into a ******** like Philip Rivers or Ryan Leaf.

That's not right to say. There's different types of mobile. You could be mobile like Fran Tarkenton or Romo and run around and keep the play alive, eluding defenders and having a keen eye for getting the ball off to an open receiver at the last second, or you could be mobile Like Marino, not fast, he's not going to outrun a lot of people. But there are not a lot of QB's better than Marino at stepping/sliding away from a sack, re-setting his feet, and firing a laser for a TD. Marino could just feel the pocket in a way, he was able to sense pressure and avoid it by using his feet, not running away, but doing the little moves that were just enough. Marino used to avoid sacks by kind of just slightly sliding to the left and pushing the defender out of the way with his left arm and then buy himself an extra couple of seconds to find an open man.

So, while Marino wasn't exactly Fran Tarkenton he was still a mobile QB.

And also, I don't think it's a very good thing for Tannehill to show his emotions so early in his career. While whenever Marino did it he looked like a leader and someone who loves the game, he was an elite QB after his 2nd year and people respected him. If you try to show your emotions without respect, you turn into a ******** like Philip Rivers or Ryan Leaf.

Marino had the best pocket awareness I have ever seen, he made his oline look much better than they were. How many times did most of us see a guy coming from his backside and he just stepped up

Marino had the best pocket awareness I have ever seen, he made his oline look much better than they were. How many times did most of us see a guy coming from his backside and he just stepped up

Definitely. I think he's one of the few players that could just awe you without having to have amazing athletic ability. The way he stepped out of easy sacks and fired bullets with the quickest release probably ever for a QB was just amazing.

Of course Marino was great in the pocket. I just don't see the comparison. I hope to see a little more fire out of Ryan later in the season as he improves. I do wonder if he has that in his personality. He just seems very composed right now. Not a bad thing. Just wondering if it is who he is and if we will see him fired up at some point.

I know a lot of Dolphin fans want to find some similarities between the two but they are not even close in comparison. First Dan wasn't mobile at all. Dan really wasn't much of an athlete. Dan was fiercely competitive and wore his emotions on his sleeve. Ryan has a very calm demeanor on the outside. He may have the same competitive fire but you don't see it in his actions. I know he is a rookie. Maybe he will grow into that roll but he doesn't strike me as an emotional player at all. They both have strong arms. I'm not sure if Ryan has as quick of a release as Dan either. I really don't see the comparison. I think Ryan is closer to a Brette Farve imho.

Blasphemy! Farve was a hack! The rich-man's Tony Romo.

1. While Dan didn't have anywhere near the footspeed of RT, he was very evasive in the pocket. He was a master of stepping up to buy time. Something which WE HAVE seen a bit from RT already.

2. To say that Dan was firey and wore his emotions on his sleeve and Ryan isn't and doesn't is ridiculous. He's played 5 pro games, you have NO IDEA what his demeanor will be like once he is an established pro.

3. I grew up watching Dan Marino and in all honestly, RT reminds me A LOT of Marino. They both have strong accurate arms, very quick releases and good pocket awareness. And lets not forget one of the most important traits of a franchise QB, POISE. Dan had it in spades and after what we've seen, RT clearly does too.

I see two fairly big differences; the afore mentioned foot speed, which is a plus, and that Tannehill seems to be more of a football bookworm and filmrat than Marino was, I could be wrong about that. In the end, I'm not saying RT is the next Dan Marino, but I'm also not saying he isn't the next Dan Marino either. From what my eyes are telling me, the sky is the limit with this kid.

Back
Top Bottom