OT Joel Bitonio | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OT Joel Bitonio

He has got some things to work on, but he is a very intriguing player. Like you say, he is tenacious. I would definitely look at him in the 2nd.

One of my favorite players in the draft. I liked him early in the season when I saw him play against FSU, and kept an eye on him. Unfortunately he caught a lot of people's eye and risen from a 3-4 round guy to a 1-2 round guy. He can play all 5 spots on the line and IMO is a plug and play RT.

I wasn't sure if he was a first rnd pick until I saw him at the combine. He really moves well. Not just that but hes actually pretty fast for a big guy, and in a zone, if you decide to roll him, or want to et him up field, he does that in hurry.

IMO he is a 1st rnd pick. If this was last years draft he would be a 1st rnd lock. This draft is deeper though.

I wasn't sure if he was a first rnd pick until I saw him at the combine. He really moves well. Not just that but hes actually pretty fast for a big guy, and in a zone, if you decide to roll him, or want to et him up field, he does that in hurry.

IMO he is a 1st rnd pick. If this was last years draft he would be a 1st rnd lock. This draft is deeper though.

If we could slide down from #19 and pick up Koundjio late in the 1st, Bitonio and Kyle Van Noy in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd I'd be all for that.

Martavis Bryant, Donte Moncrief, Jordan MAtthews, maybe Cody Latimer. Then in the 4th CJ Fiedorowicz or Trai Turner, if he lasts that long. Turner getting all the recent attention is troubling, I was hoping that he would stay under the radar.

A kid like Bitonio is one of the reasons I'd prefer to trade back in the first if the top 4 OT's are gone. We could use either a front line Guard or a RT in the draft. There are question marks on all the tackles rated 5-8, and it doesn't seem one stands out over the others. We could also take one of the top 2 pure guards late in the first and not be blowing it value wise. I'd rather get the extra pick, if possible, rather than reach for a guy at 19. If we are staying at 19 and Lewan and Martin are gone, I'd prefer to go with another position, but that could leave us scrambling in the 2nd if oline flies off the board faster than anticipated.

If we are staying at 19 and Lewan and Martin are gone, I'd prefer to go with another position, but that could leave us scrambling in the 2nd if oline flies off the board faster than anticipated.

I'm officially panicking, and your scenario is what I'm afraid of. O linemen will go ahead of us, and behind us. Bitonio is getting a lot of attention.

I'm officially panicking, and your scenario is what I'm afraid of. O linemen will go ahead of us, and behind us. Bitonio is getting a lot of attention.

That's why IMHO trading back puts us in the sweet spot for what we need along the o-line unless one of the top 4 tackles fall. There should be almost as many attractive o-line options in the late 20s as at 19. Of course we could be in love with one of the lesser Ts and grab them at 19. Maybe we think Kouandjo's knee is fine and we are getting a gift at 19 that can road grade. Who am I to say without knowing the real medical report on him? Or maybe we will take a safe pick like Su'a-filo there.

If we could somehow trade down and pick up Xavier Su'a Filo in the 1st and then Botonio in the 2nd, i would be ecstatic. Botonio stood out to me at the combine and i would love for us to pick him up to solidify the line.

That's why IMHO trading back puts us in the sweet spot for what we need along the o-line unless one of the top 4 tackles fall. There should be almost as many attractive o-line options in the late 20s as at 19. Of course we could be in love with one of the lesser Ts and grab them at 19. Maybe we think Kouandjo's knee is fine and we are getting a gift at 19 that can road grade. Who am I to say without knowing the real medical report on him? Or maybe we will take a safe pick like Su'a-filo there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ews-says-no-issues-with-cyrus-kouandjios-knee

I know all about that article. But there's a lot of noise this time of year. I am not saying Andrews is wrong, but if you were a GM looking at drafting him, what matters is what your own doctors say, and not what a reporter finds Dr. Andrews is saying on the subject. I'd prefer an independent medical opinion on Cyrus as opposed to the opinion of someone close to the Bama program like Dr. Andrews is.

I watched him at the Senior Bowl, taping the practices and looking at them when I had more time. First impressions were negative. Bitonio really struggled early in the week. Not as inept as Billy Turner looked, but clumsy and ineffective.

I was admittedly dubious of him because I've spent so much time in that region of the country. The trenches aren't exactly high caliber in the Mountain West area. I emphasized that when we drafted Shawn Murphy in the 4th. You've really got to be careful. It's very easy for a marginal player to stand out in that level of competition, with so much finesse in the running game. Nevada virtually never asks its linemen to drive block out of a power set.

Bitonio grew on me later in the week. He made obvious adjustments depending on who he was lining up against. He was noticeably quicker off the snap when he faced a speed guy. The power guys gave him more trouble.

Still, I'm very hesitant to take a player like this, considering where he figures to fall in the draft. I'm a big believer that the tape doesn't provide the full story. It's easy and imperative to make the logical adjustments, regardless of what the tape indicates. In this case, Bitonio was not highly rated out of high school. Nobody was wowed by his athletic ability at an early age. He was scheduled to attend UC Davis until Nevada offered a scholarship at the last minute. Then Bitonio redshirted early in college. He's a 5th year guy from a lesser conference. Prior to the 2013 season he was on the Mountain West second team forecasts.

That's just not what I'm looking for in an early round. I want blue bloods who have been demoted, not clods who are forced up the boards. Too many premium guys could be available in Bitonio's stage of the draft. JuWaun James was heavily recruited by all the top schools, originally committing to Alabama before Lane Kiffin swayed him to Tennessee. I remember attention toward him on Canes boards before he showed no interest. It's a different position but Kareem Martin could be there. He was hotly pursued by schools like Clemson and Virginia Tech. Heck, one of my favorites, Kyle Van Noy, could be sitting there unclaimed. He was a superstar this time last year. Let the guys who fixate on recent tape and ignore the big picture be blatantly wrong, like so frequently, and have a gem like Van Noy fall into your lap. I'll throw out a name like Kirksey from Iowa. He's going to be making smart decisions and plays, whether it's on special teams or at linebacker. He's considerably better than the kid we took from Florida last year. Kirksey reminds me of an early '70s-type Dolphin.

Guys like Bitonio are fine if you get them a round or two later than projected. That's probably their rightful level anyway.

I watched him at the Senior Bowl, taping the practices and looking at them when I had more time. First impressions were negative. Bitonio really struggled early in the week. Not as inept as Billy Turner looked, but clumsy and ineffective.

I was admittedly dubious of him because I've spent so much time in that region of the country. The trenches aren't exactly high caliber in the Mountain West area. I emphasized that when we drafted Shawn Murphy in the 4th. You've really got to be careful. It's very easy for a marginal player to stand out in that level of competition, with so much finesse in the running game. Nevada virtually never asks its linemen to drive block out of a power set.

Bitonio grew on me later in the week. He made obvious adjustments depending on who he was lining up against. He was noticeably quicker off the snap when he faced a speed guy. The power guys gave him more trouble.

Still, I'm very hesitant to take a player like this, considering where he figures to fall in the draft. I'm a big believer that the tape doesn't provide the full story. It's easy and imperative to make the logical adjustments, regardless of what the tape indicates. In this case, Bitonio was not highly rated out of high school. Nobody was wowed by his athletic ability at an early age. He was scheduled to attend UC Davis until Nevada offered a scholarship at the last minute. Then Bitonio redshirted early in college. He's a 5th year guy from a lesser conference. Prior to the 2013 season he was on the Mountain West second team forecasts.

That's just not what I'm looking for in an early round. I want blue bloods who have been demoted, not clods who are forced up the boards. Too many premium guys could be available in Bitonio's stage of the draft. JuWaun James was heavily recruited by all the top schools, originally committing to Alabama before Lane Kiffin swayed him to Tennessee. I remember attention toward him on Canes boards before he showed no interest. It's a different position but Kareem Martin could be there. He was hotly pursued by schools like Clemson and Virginia Tech. Heck, one of my favorites, Kyle Van Noy, could be sitting there unclaimed. He was a superstar this time last year. Let the guys who fixate on recent tape and ignore the big picture be blatantly wrong, like so frequently, and have a gem like Van Noy fall into your lap. I'll throw out a name like Kirksey from Iowa. He's going to be making smart decisions and plays, whether it's on special teams or at linebacker. He's considerably better than the kid we took from Florida last year. Kirksey reminds me of an early '70s-type Dolphin.

Guys like Bitonio are fine if you get them a round or two later than projected. That's probably their rightful level anyway.

Interesting comments on the Bitonio tape, because from what I've seen he does show power and I like his quick feet. I was going over the FSU film for more of a sense of relevance and he looked good to me.

Kyle Van Noy is very intriguing, seems like a 1st rd talent to me, well round and brings a pass rush- imagine him and Dion Jordan at OLB and adding James Gayle to the roatation at DE. If we go WR in the 1st and Van Noy and Ju'Wuan James are sitting there at #50 who would you take?

I know all about that article. But there's a lot of noise this time of year. I am not saying Andrews is wrong, but if you were a GM looking at drafting him, what matters is what your own doctors say, and not what a reporter finds Dr. Andrews is saying on the subject. I'd prefer an independent medical opinion on Cyrus as opposed to the opinion of someone close to the Bama program like Dr. Andrews is.

Interesting point, but Dr. Andrews is a world renowned ortohopedist and has been for decades, I doubt very much that he would downplay Kouandjio's knee injury out of favoritism at the risk of his global reputation.

Andrews is close to the Alabama program because he's based out of Birmingham.

Plus he's one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the world.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom