Our Blitz Packages are Atrocious, Why?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our Blitz Packages are Atrocious, Why??

Majpain said:
Guys this thread doesnt deserve a 1. Its true were not good a blitzing.

We could be if we had the right personel for it. I have a strong feeling that the defense is going to see alot of work in the offseason. Adding some more linebackers that fit the system a little better than the ones that we have now. Also the NT position and the defensive line. What i want to know is who is going to take Taylor's spot after he retires. I'm greatfull for all that J.T. has done but he's not getting any younger.

Zach Thomas is a good pass rusher. Linebackers who are blitzing up the middle simply dont put up big sack numbers, as the speed advantage is neutralized that outside rushers have, and usually there is a Guard or failing that, a runningback waiting to pick it up. You dont see linebackers who play backed off the LOS often get sacks there, besides Brian Urlacher, who won out big on delay blitzes on a penetrating D-line.

Zach Thomas also is one of the best run-blitzing linebackers in the league. He had 12 tackles for a loss last season per ESPN. Jeremiah Trotter, who is probabaly the best in the league, had 11. Brian Urlacher had 8. None of the other blitz-heavy linterior inebackers did any better that I saw.

the only time we have sucess is really when we blizt members of our secondary. think about it we dont have the personnel. thats why we made a push for arrington, and thought about brooks in the suppl. we really need to find a linebacker that can flat out get after it. i dont remeber the last one we had maybe cox very early in his career?

id really like to see blitzs go to the side of an opposing teams OL. Have a DE, LB and maybe a CB Blitz all at one side

We were 2nd ( or tied for first in the league ) last year in sacks. So I wouldn't say we are that bad.

I think we need to upgrade Donnie Spragan ( He doesn't scare anyone coming of the edge ). Teams can focus on JT and not worry about the other side.

Let's face it, most of our front 7 is gonna call it a career in 2-3 years. Saban will need to invest heavily in the draft on the front 7 in the next 2 years.

MiamiDolphins34 said:
And we didnt draft a single LB :rolleyes2

Look at how Pitt used Polamalu all over the field ( blitz, nickel corner, run litz, safety ) he was killing us.

Look at how the Ravens use Ed Reed, Skins use Shaun Taylor, etc..

If we hit on Jason Allen ( holding breath ) we may have acquired a good blitzing safety ( Saban's comments after the draft were to this effect ) and if we pair up w/ Yeremiah ( who is a good blitzer if you ask me ) we could do some tricky things.

MiamiDolphins34 said:
And we didnt draft a single LB :rolleyes2

Except they signed two, tried to get Lavar Arrington and apparently Julian Peterson.

Did you see any high quality strongside OLB canidates in that last draft?

the only time we have any success with the blitz is when we run #37, a safety off the edge.. Blitzing to the middle of the line is suicide for this defense..

I am always shocked how 5 guys can block our 8 in the middle.. Maybe we just need to spread them out a bit.

MastR_EvaluatoR said:
the only time we have any success with the blitz is when we run #37, a safety off the edge.. Blitzing to the middle of the line is suicide for this defense..

I am always shocked how 5 guys can block our 8 in the middle.. Maybe we just need to spread them out a bit.
then you look and our 5 or 6 cant block their 5 or 6, let alone pickup the blitzes

They seem to block our 2 with one, kinda a Double team Block Reversed.
Crazy Huh!

Disgustipate said:
Except they signed two, tried to get Lavar Arrington and apparently Julian Peterson.

Did you see any high quality strongside OLB canidates in that last draft?

There were several - Manny Lawson, OLB/DE NC St., 6'5, 240 - at SF he has 2 sacks already; Bobby Carpenter OLB OSU - Dallas; Chad Greenway OLB Iowa St.

I realize we needed DB's but we could have re-signed our safeties and had the corners we have now - and had a big OLB who could rush the passer or at least be a bigger force on the outside.

Last year we were second in sacks. But I also remember being compeletely useless blitzing early season. I am not sure if it is still some adjustments needing to be made but it started off the same way and look where we ended up.

In fact it was when we started getting to the QB that we started winning games.

Majpain said:
Guys this thread doesnt deserve a 1. Its true were not good a blitzing.

This thread doesnt deserve one gold star, it deserves one brown star.

Da 'Fins said:
There were several - Manny Lawson, OLB/DE NC St., 6'5, 240 - at SF he has 2 sacks already; Bobby Carpenter OLB OSU - Dallas; Chad Greenway OLB Iowa St.

It's doubtful Lawson could play strongside linebacker short term, or even if it'd be worth it long term. Strongside linebacker is not a mirror image of what Jason Taylor does. It is a much more coverage and dirty-work oriented position.

Bobby Carpenter was about one of the only ones that really reasonably fit.

Back
Top Bottom