Our new defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new defense

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score
More than the 3 down linemen sub-packages, I think the main change on our defense will be the coverage scheme.

Based on Weaver's lineage and our personnel decisions I think we'll no longer play as much cover 6 or as much cloud concepts or even as much zone at all.

We're most likely going back to lots of man and cover 3.

I think this is good because the Bills' and Chiefs' main threat will be their TEs and these schemes are much better at covering them than zones.

It surprises me this has barely been talked about around here.

What do y'all think?

You could be right. What worries me is that this new defense being installed may be too complicated for our young guys to grasp early in the season. Tindal, for one, has been known to have had issues learning the previous defense.
Tindall is going to play as many defensive snaps as I am this season. He has like a 20% shot at even making the roster.

More than the 3 down linemen sub-packages, I think the main change on our defense will be the coverage scheme.

Based on Weaver's lineage and our personnel decisions I think we'll no longer play as much cover 6 or as much cloud concepts or even as much zone at all.

We're most likely going back to lots of man and cover 3.

I think this is good because the Bills' and Chiefs' main threat will be their TEs and these schemes are much better at covering them than zones.

It surprises me this has barely been talked about around here.

What do y'all think?

I'm not as knowledgeable about defense as some folks here are.

I will say that our large number of defensive selections throughout the draft and looking at the defensive positions we brought in via FA along with a new DC; it is obvious to me that there are going to be a lot of changes in our defensive as opposed to last year.

I have no idea what those changes are going to be specifically, but I am looking forward to stronger defensive play this year because of them.

It's going to be interesting because so many people think Weaver is simply going to run what Baltimore did and I don't think that will be the case.

I think the biggest change will be the IDL rotation and the snap counts being more levelled out for those guys.

Something people haven't discussed is the high number of 3 safety looks Baltimore ran - very close to what we did. It's practically a standard in the NFL these days. Thanks, Fangio ;)

You could be right. What worries me is that this new defense being installed may be too complicated for our young guys to grasp early in the season. Tindal, for one, has been known to have had issues learning the previous defense.
It's actually a lot simpler. Man assignment and gap assigment. That's it.

I'm not as knowledgeable about defense as some folks here are.

I will say that our large number of defensive selections throughout the draft and looking at the defensive positions we brought in via FA along with a new DC; it is obvious to me that there are going to be a lot of changes in our defensive as opposed to last year.

I have no idea what those changes are going to be specifically, but I am looking forward to stronger defensive play this year because of them.

The biggest change IMHO given the amount of quality pass rushers aquired to rotate and stay fresh will be:

BLITZING

We are going for the throat and will absolutely suffocate opposing offenses.

Hope he’s not a quarters guy, hate that coverage
I agree. I think it'll be very close to the Flo D without the quarters and without the all out blitzing or exotic fronts.

It'll be a very vanilla Bellicheck/Rex Ryan/Saban defense with the inclusion of the star/robber defender.

"Like the rest of the league, the Ravens have primarily been a zone coverage team. They've run zone on 71% of their plays this year, which is about middle of the pack. Part of Baltimore's defensive strength is it's ability to play both zone and man, so the Ravens can adapt to the opponent's strength either way. - Dec 27, 2023"

Scrounged from their website.

Believe it or not, besides Tindal, the 2 rookies on D will have a easier time than the new guys learning the Offense. What also may help the young guys on D (minus Tindal) is everyone on D will be learning a new system together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom