Our new defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new defense

More than the 3 down linemen sub-packages, I think the main change on our defense will be the coverage scheme.

Based on Weaver's lineage and our personnel decisions I think we'll no longer play as much cover 6 or as much cloud concepts or even as much zone at all.

We're most likely going back to lots of man and cover 3.

I think this is good because the Bills' and Chiefs' main threat will be their TEs and these schemes are much better at covering them than zones.

It surprises me this has barely been talked about around here.

What do y'all think?

Coverage is my biggest concern as well. Early on, I like a 3-3-5 for pressuring QBs. Lots of blitz opportunities that won't be as complicated.

Ramsey has played in a similar setup to this in man coverage before. I think he'll be relied on a lot to help keep people in the right places.

The calling card of MacDonald and the Baltimore D, which Weaver will draw heavily from, is the illusion of complexity - making life as easy as possible for your guys and as hard as possible for their guys.

There will be an adjustment period, but this should not be a prevailing issue.

Last edited:

The calling card of MacDonald and the Baltimore D, which Weaver will draw heavily from, is the illusion of complexity - making life as easy as possible for your guys and as hard as possible for their guys.

There will be an adjustment period, but this should not be a prevailing issue.

Spot on.

If anything, this might actually rescue Tindall's career. "See ball get ball" is about as simple as it gets. Just line up where you're supposed to.

Spot on.

If anything, this might actually rescue Tindall's career. "See ball get ball" is about as simple as it gets. Just line up where you're supposed to.

Yep! People forget that Patrick Queen was TERRIBLE his first two years - really his first two and a half - with MacDonald taking over as DC in Queen's third year (2022).

If it's ever going to click for Tindall, it should be under Weaver.

You could be right. What worries me is that this new defense being installed may be too complicated for our young guys to grasp early in the season. Tindal, for one, has been known to have had issues learning the previous defense.
Tindal is still learning Boyer’s defense I hear. When he finishes that, he has to learn Fangio’s before he can start on Weaver’s. At this rate, he’ll see the field in 2028

What if they guy isn’t a good play caller ??

I’ve got to see him in situations ya know, I’m a little worried because I know he’s got great energy and smile and all that I just don’t know what type of play caller he is and ultimately you have to have that skill to succeed

With Wilkins gone and Phillips and Chubb likely out for the early part of the 2024 season, I suspect the defense will struggle to begin the season.

I don’t think they will have much of a pass rush without those three players and hopefully they will be able to stop the run.

I think it will be up to the offense to put up a lot of points to win games early in the season. Hopefully the loss of Hunt and Williams won’t impact the offense as much as I think the loss of Wilkins, Phillips, and Chubb is going to impact the defense until Phillips and Chubb get healthy and return to the lineup.

As far as the loss of Wilkins is concerned. That was the biggest loss on the entire team in the off season and I see no addition to the defensive line that comes close to replacing him.

What if they guy isn’t a good play caller ??

I’ve got to see him in situations ya know, I’m a little worried because I know he’s got great energy and smile and all that I just don’t know what type of play caller he is and ultimately you have to have that skill to succeed
My concern too. The Ravens didn’t choose to promote him to their DC after they lost their 2023 DC. Weaver also had the 30th rated defense in his one year as the Texans DC in 2020.

Just because he was a good position coach with the Ravens doesn’t mean he will be a good DC. I hope he will turn out to be a quality DC but he needs to show he can be much better than he was when he was the Texans DC
or his tenure with the Dolphins will be very short.

My concern too. The Ravens didn’t choose to promote him to their DC after they lost their 2023 DC. Weaver also had the 30th rated defense in his one year as the Texans DC in 2020.

Just because he was a good position coach with the Ravens doesn’t mean he will be a good DC. I hope he will turn out to be a quality DC but he needs to show he can be much better than he was when he was the Texans DC
or his tenure with the Dolphins will be very short.
Yup.

I was a self proclaimed Fangio hater from the very beginning so my standard is not that high, but what we’re talking about here with our new coach is very real.

We simply don’t know but we sure will hope our assess off.

The hope has some context in we’ve got to think McDaniel drilled him in a schematic contest right?

The assumption that Weaver is bringing the Ravens D to Miami is understandable but we won't know how much of that D he will employ and what he will change as a first time DC.

I am sure there were aspects of the D he would have changed had he been in charge.

I’m excited about the defense but also nervous with so many new pieces and rehabbing players.

Realistically, I expect the defense to be in bottom half of teams.

The downside is the 1st 4-5 games to get to where assignments/reads are automatic.
True. One good thing is, with all the Rookies we drafted this year, they should get a heavy dose of playing with the 1's (with exceptions of WR). Players like Phillips, Chubb, Mostert and Armstead will not play in the preseason, giving the rookies a chance to get more playing time.

Yep! People forget that Patrick Queen was TERRIBLE his first two years - really his first two and a half - with MacDonald taking over as DC in Queen's third year (2022).

I’m not holding my breath, but if things can actually click for him and he can contribute in some way that would awesome

Queen was not terrible in his first 4 years. In fact he averaged 113 combined tackles over 4 years with the Ravens.
Last year he played at a very high level but he still played at a high level throughout his time with the Ravens.

Comparing Tindall to Queen is laughable. Tindall wasn’t even a starter at Georgia and he just hasn’t shown the ability or awareness at the NFL level.

I think him being an okay ST player is the best we will ever see from Tindall. He is a bottom of the roster type player at best and I’ll be surprised if he is still on the roster beyond the 2024 season.

Back
Top Bottom