Our new defense | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new defense

The calling card of MacDonald and the Baltimore D, which Weaver will draw heavily from, is the illusion of complexity - making life as easy as possible for your guys and as hard as possible for their guys.

There will be an adjustment period, but this should not be a prevailing issue.

I wasn't aware the Ravens were dropping DTs in coverage.

It really is a lot like the Flo D and Weaver is also kinda similar as in the fact he's a teacher. His personality seems a lot better though.

Yup.

I was a self proclaimed Fangio hater from the very beginning so my standard is not that high, but what we’re talking about here with our new coach is very real.

We simply don’t know but we sure will hope our assess off.

The hope has some context in we’ve got to think McDaniel drilled him in a schematic contest right?
I think we just wanted to wipe the Fangio experience and go back to what we were doing before that.

Right, that's why I said 2 1/2 years and not 4 years. 4 - 2 1/2 = 1 1/2, and he was good for 1 1/2 years.

Do you really not understand why I brought up Queen? And, do you really think I'm comparing them beyond noting the benefit of the defense, because I had been discussing how the defense is actually less complicated to learn than most?

The entire point of the post was to say, IF it ever clicks for Tindall it will probably be in this defense.
I believe Queen was good all four years he was with the Ravens. It just took him a couple of years to play at a Pro Bowl level but that really isn’t unusual for young players coming into the NFL.

Yet Tindall has shown nothing in his first two years in the league that makes me believe he will ever be a starting caliber player in the NFL. He just doesn’t seem to have the instincts needed to see what is happening and make the play.

I had hope when they drafted him that he could at least be a decent pass defender at LB but I just don’t think he diagnoses plays fast enough at the NFL level.

As a Dolphin fan I would love to see it “click” for Tindall but as a realistic fan, I doubt it happens.

I wasn't aware the Ravens were dropping DTs in coverage.

It really is a lot like the Flo D and Weaver is also kinda similar as in the fact he's a teacher. His personality seems a lot better though.

The big difference is that this defense drops more players in coverage. They do a lot of stuff with blitz looks, stunts, twists, and they will drop anyone. It's a lot for opposing offenses to handle, but it's not super complicated from an ask standpoint.

I think we just wanted to wipe the Fangio experience and go back to what we were doing before that.
The reason they hired Fangio was because what they were doing before wasn’t working.

The Dolphins had one of the best defenses in the league last season prior to Phillips, Chubb, and Holland being injured.
I have no problem with Fangio leaving if he wasn’t happy in Miami but I still liked his defense more than the defense they ran before he arrived.

The reason they hired Fangio was because what they were doing before wasn’t working.

The Dolphins had one of the best defenses in the league last season prior to Phillips, Chubb, and Holland being injured.
I have no problem with Fangio leaving if he wasn’t happy in Miami but I still liked his defense more than the defense they ran before he arrived.
I think what doomed the Boyer defense was injuries and the decline/loss of Byron Jones and Xavien Howard.

Boyer started calling lots of 2 shells and cover 6 because we didn't have a MEG corner.

Since Boyer went that direction and SF runs that we tried to bring the master of that scheme. The players were miscast and didn't like it.

It didn't matter much because neither Ramsey nor Howard are MEG corners and when we tried X there he got roasted.

The addition of Fuller makes switching back possible.

I am wondering if on definitive passing downs, does he just stand-up Chubb, Phillips, Robinson, and Barrett or Kamara on the defensive line and let them stunt and penetrate to collapse the pocket with seven DBs behind them in a combo-coverage scheme.

Sounds like the GB Packer Pyscho defense with one NT

Sounds like the GB Packer Pyscho defense with one NT
Also sounds like Flores' amoeba defense, but the amoeba was even more muddy than described. There would be like 7 defenders standing up and moving around in the box area before the snap, and 3 or 4 would rush and the rest would drop into short zones.

I think what doomed the Boyer defense was injuries and the decline/loss of Byron Jones and Xavien Howard.

Boyer started calling lots of 2 shells and cover 6 because we didn't have a MEG corner.

Since Boyer went that direction and SF runs that we tried to bring the master of that scheme. The players were miscast and didn't like it.

It didn't matter much because neither Ramsey nor Howard are MEG corners and when we tried X there he got roasted.

I admired Boyer's accomplishments from his time with NE, and he was my favorite Flores hire. I thought when McD retained him he would be able to emulate the defense he ran under Flores but it didn't work out that way. Since we fired Boyer I'm surprised he has not been hired anywhere else in the NFL or college. At least the last time I looked.

Where is Boyer now?

I believe Queen was good all four years he was with the Ravens. It just took him a couple of years to play at a Pro Bowl level but that really isn’t unusual for young players coming into the NFL.

Yet Tindall has shown nothing in his first two years in the league that makes me believe he will ever be a starting caliber player in the NFL. He just doesn’t seem to have the instincts needed to see what is happening and make the play.

I had hope when they drafted him that he could at least be a decent pass defender at LB but I just don’t think he diagnoses plays fast enough at the NFL level.

As a Dolphin fan I would love to see it “click” for Tindall but as a realistic fan, I doubt it happens.
Queen is still only 24 as well. Same age as Tindall I think

Lots depends on how Phillips, Chubb are post their injuries. And who’s the CB opposite JR… hope Smith is good

Back
Top Bottom