Our RB Situation, & Our Backup???? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our RB Situation, & Our Backup????

Butterfrog 2.0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
First Off.........I LOVE Having Ricky Williams On this team, he is such a threat to the defense, and gives us the best running game we've ever had, But.......... Am I the only one that's noticed that he turns around and purposely falls backwards when he's about to get hit a lot??? Why does he do this..... Isn't he missing a lot of extra yardage by this tactic, I mean there were a lot of plays where I thought he could have broke the tackle, "He's A Monster" but he can't break any tackles going backwards!!!! And as for our backup....... YES Travis Minor can get the job done IN LIMITED ACTION, But The coaches have even repeatedly said that he's not the type of back that you want to "Carry The Load" He's good for around 20-25 carries maybe, But not a workhorse Back Like RW, So if Ricky Goes Down, are we gonna see "Running Back By Committee????

outlawd2u said:
He's good for around 20-25 carries maybe, But not a workhorse Back Like RW

geezz, how many carries does he need ???? :eek:

You Know what I mean......... I'm just saying, he's kinda like a Warrick Dunn Type.........Small, Fast, But He'd probably Take a beating with a large number of carries.

Find out Travis Minors YPC. I think you'll be surprised by high high it is. Travis could fill just find for Ricky if he had to miss a few games. Lets hope we don't find out. Besides the less of a direct impact that Ricky takes the longer he'll play and the less likely he will fumble. He knows when to pick his battles.

outlawd2u said:
First Off.........I LOVE Having Ricky Williams On this team, he is such a threat to the defense, and gives us the best running game we've ever had, But.......... Am I the only one that's noticed that he turns around and purposely falls backwards when he's about to get hit a lot??? Why does he do this..... Isn't he missing a lot of extra yardage by this tactic, I mean there were a lot of plays where I thought he could have broke the tackle, "He's A Monster" but he can't break any tackles going backwards!!!! And as for our backup....... YES Travis Minor can get the job done IN LIMITED ACTION, But The coaches have even repeatedly said that he's not the type of back that you want to "Carry The Load" He's good for around 20-25 carries maybe, But not a workhorse Back Like RW, So if Ricky Goes Down, are we gonna see "Running Back By Committee????

I noticed the turning on his back last year...........maybe to protect the ball or maybe to protect his bum shoulder he had last year. Either way not a big deal IMO.
Quit dumping on Ricky. This team would horrid without him..........And I mean horrid, Buffalo Bills like :lol:

Ricky definitely knows when to cut his losses. He is a very smart guy and not a macho idiot so when he knows he's getting the ball 30x a game, he is not going to try to run people - especially DL men and LBs - over if there is nowhere to go. If you watched Barry Sanders, he did the same too. HE would go down easily rather than get poped and get you back by running for 60 a few plays later.

Between Minor and Henry and even S Morris, we c/easily replace Ricky ag a lousy team; but ag a divisional rival we w/b in a bit if trouble unless our D c/step up and keep a low scoring game. Still I really like the way Minor runs and how incredibly fast he hits the hole. He c/b a starting RB in the NFL especially on a team that likes to throw the backs. He is a solidly built 210 for a 5'9" guy

Ricky had a fumbling problem in his early years. I think the "turn around and cover the ball" thing is probably his way of protecting it. I can live with that. Ricky actually has fairly small hands for someone his size, which helped cause his fumbling issue.

I'm more than happy to sacrifice a couple yards a game if it helps him hang onto the ball.

If Ricky went down, I think we'd see a RB-by-committee approach. Minor is effective as a change of pace back; that's why his YPC is high. But I think we'd see Leonard Henry getting a lot of carries, too.

I think a lot of times he will spin before taking a hit. The falling backwards is just a biproduct of that spin he did, that I imagine took away from the impact greatly.

I think that this pre-season will be very telling on what kind of shape we are in if we do get injuries at the RB spot. I for one am not sold that the combination of Minor and Henry can get the job done if we were to lose Ricky for any substantial time. Can they carry enough load to not only move the ball effectively, but to also keep the time of possession in our favor and make things easier on the defense?? I really hope that after a few pre-season games that I am feeling a little more comfortable, but for now……….

As for Ricky’s running style, I just can’t really complain about it at all………he’s just that much better than anyone I’ve EVER seen in a Dolphins uniform. If he wanted to take the handoff and run the whole time backwards I’d go along with it. ;)

That would explain that. Something that did bother me last year was that he was falling more towards the side and backwards rather then forward. If it was a way to cut down on fumbles, it would make sense, since it wasn't like he wasn't trying as hard as he used to.

Ricky has gotten a tremendous amount of work in his two years with the fins. 20-25 carries sounds like a regular load until you consider that adds up to 320-400 carries a season! That is where Ricky has already been and he is being used up. Yet he knows, as do we, that is a RB's lot in the NFL.

The depth at any position in the days of the salary cap is always a problem. Especially behind a pro-bowler. It has long been a question on this board and with PhinPhans in general as to whether or not Travis Minor could be an every down back. I am in the group that is hopeful but not yet convinced. Leonard Henry may be able to be a two down back with Minor playing third downs if (shudder) it were to become necessary. I could also see Sammy Morris being a short yardage back in an all-big-back lineup behind Konrad for short yardage purposes if a committee approach (shudder) were called for.

Among the rookies Fred Russell turned heads in mini-camps (no contact time) with his quickness and elusiveness. He may work into the mix. The forgotten man in all this talk has been Renaldo Works, another undrafted rookie, who is more likely, size wise, to be an every down back and is the type who will need contact to show what he is made of.

My short answer (too late I guess) to your question regarding depth is yes, I think we would go to a RB by committe approach were something to happen to Ricky (shudder) with Henry on the first two downs, pushed in camp by Works, Minor on third downs, pushed in camp by Russell, and Morris in short yardage situations, pushed in camp by Moa.

Also keep in mind, if Ricky goes down (shudder) expect to see more of Konrad both pass catching out of the backfield and even running. Konrad will be pushed in camp, though not hard imo, by Doug Easlick, a classic lead blocking style FB who is another undrafted rookie.

I think Henry will fool a lot of you..I think this guy has it...whatever it is, that makes special players, special.

i agree about the running back by commitee approach. If Ricky ever went down, i thin kthtd b the most sucsessful approach....but id llike every1 to do me a favor. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

I agree about Henry. This guy impressed me in last years pre season and he was doing a fine job untill he got hurt in the NFLE. Henry is also a bruiser and has speed when he needs it.

Back
Top Bottom