Our RB Situation, & Our Backup???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our RB Situation, & Our Backup????

The kid from Iowa is nasty and if he makes the team he would be a great Dave Meggett style back that can relieve both Minor and/or Ricky. Also I don't recall Minor really getting much of a chance to run the ball consistently (with Rickey Healthy that's a no brainer), but who's to say that he cannot handle the load. I just wouldn't run the same plays with him and utilize his speed rather than getting him killed going through the middle.

outlawd2u said:
First Off.........I LOVE Having Ricky Williams On this team, he is such a threat to the defense, and gives us the best running game we've ever had, But.......... Am I the only one that's noticed that he turns around and purposely falls backwards when he's about to get hit a lot??? Why does he do this..... Isn't he missing a lot of extra yardage by this tactic, I mean there were a lot of plays where I thought he could have broke the tackle, "He's A Monster" but he can't break any tackles going backwards!!!! And as for our backup....... YES Travis Minor can get the job done IN LIMITED ACTION, But The coaches have even repeatedly said that he's not the type of back that you want to "Carry The Load" He's good for around 20-25 carries maybe, But not a workhorse Back Like RW, So if Ricky Goes Down, are we gonna see "Running Back By Committee????
Love Ricky Williams too, but IMO the best running game we've ever had was Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick, not a slam on Ricky, but the combination of what those three guys brought was my favorite era of runningbacks here and I think our most effective.

you carry the ball 40 times a game and then tell me you wont want to fall back and not take every hit. Would you rather him be sidelined or play the whole season? Hes only a man. Ricky is an amazing back and he will be an amazing back for years to come. His skill isnt depleting like most people keep saying and i think this season will prove that. With an improved offensive line and two true wide receivers defenses wont have the mindset to just "STOP RICKY!." Travis Minor is a great back up RB and i think thats all he will ever be. If Ricky goes down due to injury Minor will be a fine replacement till ricky is healthy again.

Only Wanny would gameplan Ricky up the middle 70% of the time on 1st down and not have a reliable backup if and when something happens to him. Minor is a good change-of-pace back, but give him the same number of carries as Ricky and he wil fold. Henry has looked good in spots but as of yet is not battle tested. If Ricky goes down, Wanny can kiss his job goodbye, IMO, and that's the strange thing about this team not having a better backup.

I think it's crazy that Minor hasn't seen the field more. He's one of the most effective change of pace backs in the league, but he hardly got the ball last year. I know it's partially because the focus of the defense shifted with him in there, but he had a knack for finding holes last year, which Ricky never could do. Ricky really didn't break that many big runs last year, showing that getting him more carries wouldn't increase is output.

Back
Top Bottom