Overrated Mcclain | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overrated Mcclain

It's questionable if Mcclain could outperform Crowder, yet Mcclain had a huge Fin fan base for the 12th pick. The star is fading though. you can feel it. Fans are starting to realize what Mcclain is, a solid ILB. Not 12th pick worthy

"it's questionable if mcclain could outperform crowder"

lol...that might be the wildest thing i've read on here in quite a while...gotta be

I would like to ask this question:
Doesn't Mount Cody, who dominated the college ranks and reportedly can take up two and sometimes even three blockers, make McClain look better than he truly may be? I am not discounting him or denying him either way. Just trying to look at all the angles to see if he would be a great value at #12

Great Question my friend!!! I was thinking the same thing. I think people forget about what a good DL could do for even a average LB.

My updated Mock:

1. Sean Weatherspoon
2. Mardy Gilyard
3. Cam Thomas
4 Jimmy Graham

This is where we just see different things. I think Channing Crowder is a pretty fine linebacker, and my perception of people that keep criticizing him is that they do so simply because he doesn't get sacks or interceptions.

Rolando McClain is not a better blitzer than Channing Crowder. Might be worse, in fact. So...is he going to end up being called garbage as well?

Crowder makes a lot of plays at or behind the line of scrimmage and when he's healthy, he's a decent cover guy. He's smart as hell, too.

CK, I'm not sure why people don't give Crowder the respect he deserves. You would think people would see how valuable he was to the DEF when he was out. IMO he a real solid LB and I'm looking forward for a breakout year from Crowder with Nolan taking over the DEF.

you mean that breakout year from crowder we've been waiting for for like 5 years now...lol

good luck

It's questionable if Mcclain could outperform Crowder, yet Mcclain had a huge Fin fan base for the 12th pick. The star is fading though. you can feel it. Fans are starting to realize what Mcclain is, a solid ILB. Not 12th pick worthy

Crowder himself said he thinks McClain is going to be a stud in the NFL " So did Ricky, and Brown as well" then he went on to say he'd LOVE to play with along side McClain.

Slimm, I agree McClain is an excellent linebacker. Given that most agree he isn't the greatest blitzer in the world, how would you feel with him lining up beside Crowder? That means no qb pressure from your inside backers and puts alot of pressure on whoever is playing OLB. In a perfect world I suppose they sign Dansby and draft McClain, and have Crowder as a backup.
I prefer McClain in the first round and Spikes in the 2nd and Crowder at backup. :)

Have you been saying it that way your whole life? That's interesting.

Reminds me of the time I saw somebody on here write "Pre-Madonna."

Conan the Grammarian, is that you? :tongue2:

My point remains the same; a top tier 350lb NT is a difference maker on a 3-4 defense.

McClain would be a great pick up and give us something on defense we don't have. A Field General, look at our ILB's Channing is a joke up to 2009 you could always count on Crowder to make the tackle a yard on the wrong side of the down marker or 5-6 yards down field, this year he couldn't even do that! Torber and Adoylea are so bad and slow in coverage it makes me invent 4 and 5 letter words on Sunday. Non of the 3 blow up a back when he is forced back inside to them and several games Carolina and the second N.E game I saw Crowder jugging and not even trying mean while the RB cuts back for a big gain.

None of that will happen with McClain, he is just 2 football spot and hasa a great motor. Last anyone who say getting hit by a 6'4 260lb is a soft experience. HAHAHAHA well they have obviously never had the pleasure, I have and the last adjective that comes to mind is "SOFT"

Crowder himself said he thinks McClain is going to be a stud in the NFL " So did Ricky, and Brown as well" then he went on to say he'd LOVE to play with along side McClain.

Channing probably said that because he's tired of being depended on to do his job, so he wants someone to be able to clean up his mistakes again :lol:

Being a Gator fan, I get to watch the SEC and knowing Bama was likely going ot run the table, I watch them a lot. McClain is the real deal. He is always around the ball. reminds me of Zach Thomas with his leadership skills QB of the defense. He is better than Zach since he is more athletic but the IQ is there. With that said, if I felt strong that Spikes would be there at #43, I would take DeZ Bryant if he miraculously fell to us ( if DEN takes McClain, we have a shot) or trade down with a team that wants Bryant. Dez is a game changer and we need a deep threat to best utilize Henne.

CJ Spiller would be nice to replace Ronnie/Ricky for this year or next. Anyone agree? What do you think of Dexter Mccluster?

This is where we just see different things. I think Channing Crowder is a pretty fine linebacker, and my perception of people that keep criticizing him is that they do so simply because he doesn't get sacks or interceptions.

Rolando McClain is not a better blitzer than Channing Crowder. Might be worse, in fact. So...is he going to end up being called garbage as well?

Crowder makes a lot of plays at or behind the line of scrimmage and when he's healthy, he's a decent cover guy. He's smart as hell, too.

You had me till the whole "he's decent cover guy. He's smart as hell, too." I agree with most of the post but Channing's downside, besides non-existing blitzing capabilities, is that he cant cover well. He's usually on the ground looking up at one of our DB's taking down the RB that just ran past him. He can't cover a TE (but most LB's cant either) but he needs to be able to seal holes and cover laterally better. 1 Interception in how long? A blind squirrel finds a nut faster than Crowder picks a ball. (However, His Brady INT was SICK!!! HAHAHAHAHA!) As for his "smarts" well I dont know the man but as far as how I've heard him talk he is dumber than a sack of rocks.

Channing has big play ability but he's so worried about not making a mistake that he tends to freeze or slow his decisions down a bit. Like a poster pointed out earlier: When Zach was around Channing had flashes of being amazing because he could take a leap and know that Zach was close behind to clean it up. That's what Rolando McClain brings to the table. Zach like qualities. SMART!, Great Decision Making, Hard Hitting, a Student of the Game, Field General all qualities Zach and Rolando share (and coincidentally nothing of which Crowder has).

Rolando is not a Rey Rey type LB that is going to smack you around till you're forced to fumble or throw an INT. Rolando is like Zach in that he'll study you, figure you out, then translate that on the field.

BUT WITH ALL THAT SAID: ROLANDO IS NOT OR WILL EVER BE ZACH THOMAS!!! DONT GET ON ME FOR THE COMPARISON. I AM A CROWDER AND MCCLAIN SUPPORTER!!!

Not every player who isn't Keith Bulluck or Patrick Willis deserves to be cut.

Don't you think thats why having a guy like Dansby or Spoon at MIke and CC takign Akins spot makes more sense and compliments one another better than McClain because Spoon brings something neither do...great coverage ability, 3 down player/playMAKER, and hard hitter with great speed. CC is not a mike but better suited to have Akins spot due to that spot requiring a bigger backer thats job is to attack the LOS and the run game.

I'm not saying McClain isn't good, I realllly like the guy but Spoon makes more plays with half the talent on his team especially on a D line point of view. I think Spoon is just a playmaker/gamer period and putting him around talent can make him a major impact player. Do you still see this whole "he is only a 4-3 backer due to can't take on blocks" stuff to be true?

Another thing Sparano said PP defensive scheme was to read than react....Sparano said what he liked about Nolans D was its REACT than read which means you dictate what hte offense SHOULD and WILL do not hte other way around which i think this suits guys like Wake, Crowder, and JT more along wiht a guy named Smith and davis who are both great INT players and aggressive in the air players....having Crowder think less it will make him jst go out and play ball and allow errond throws which would put a guy like Smith and Davis in position to pull down INTs with ease.

Back
Top Bottom