Pat Devlin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat Devlin

eightyone81

Active Roster
Reaction score
I am (surprisingly) interested to see how he does in the scrimmage tomorrow, and more importantly against Dallas on Sunday. The 6'3 225lb Devlin has been hot all training camp, and has been one of the coaching staffs favorite players for almost a year.

I can see Philbin giving him the majority of the snaps in our preseason game Sunday, and I am actually excited (maybe for the first time?) to see how our 3rd string QB will play. I read today he was taking reps with some of our starters (throwing passes to Keller and Daniel Thomas) Do you think he has a chance to beat out Matt Moore? Will Devlin get a call up with a solid scrimmage/preseason game?

The Dolphins seem to have great depth at the most in demand/important position on the field..

7/28 practice-Twitter-Devlin

-Pat Devlin throws to Keller. You're going to see lots of Devlin a week from today when #Dolphins play #Cowboys in HOF Game on NBC.

-Richard Marshall just laid out Kyle Miller during 7-on-7. But Miller brought in the Pat Devlin catch.

-Pat Devlin just threaded the needle to Jeff Fuller during 7-on-7 for a 20-plus reception.

-Brandon Gibson just scored a TD on Richard Marshall with Pat Devlin at the trigger.

-Daniel Thomas just caught a Pat Devlin pass on the sidelines and juked Derrick Shelby for an extra 5-yards.

-A wide open Marvin McNutt dropped a Pat Devlin deep ball in the end zone. Devlin is HOT. He's feeling himself.

-Dion Sims catches an over the shoulder pass in the seam from Pat Devlin. Sizzle.

-Pat Devlin just gave up an interception to Will Davis, who jumped a route. One play spoils Devlin's amazing day

devlin is making it easier for this staff to let matt moore go next offseason if they want to and feel confident he can handle the backup duties...i expect he will play pretty well this preseason...

I feel very comfortable with all three quarterbacks and that is something I have never felt as a long time dolphin fan. If devlin lights it up in the preseason games then I believe he should be rewarded by being the number 2 guy behind tannehill.

I remember devlin in college and I have no reason to think he's anything different than that until I see him do it in a meaningful NFL game. In college you never knew where the ball was going, he was incredibly irratic.

Until I see how he handles NFL pass rushing, I'm keeping Moore as long as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been high on Devlin for some time now and he continues to make leaps each year. I actually felt he was going to be the #2 this year until Moore surprisingly re-signed. We have very good QB depth.

Soon we'll have a real franchise quarterback, and the last shalll be first. Then shall be glory days again.

What are Devlin's strong/weak points?

I have to think Moore is traded next season for a 6th or a 7th. It's a dummy year. Unless we showcase Devlin and he goes into a regular season game for a few series.

It's truly refreshing to see us developing our own QB talent after throwing away so many years and so many picks trading for other teams garbage.

Like some other posters I've been a fan of Devlin for a while.

For me, I really do like his mechanics, very tight and compact with great rotation giving a nice over the top action and he has great velocity on the ball as he gets his hand on the top of the ball so revolutions are higher on release.

I have been very suprised that he's gotten as many reps as reported with the 1's/2's on some guise or another... is this because they really want to speed up his progression for next year [as some have alluded to], or is it to see how he can handle it this year with the view of him being a back up and the possibility of off loading Moore for draft picks in the event that some QB's go down in preseason.

I for one would love to hold on to this trio for a few years as it gives great depth and comfort to the most important of positions - but somehow, I feel that either Moore or Devlin are getting groomed as trade bait. Time will tell.

If another team offered a 3rd or 2nd for Devlin, would you do it?

It would kill depth but a high value pick is a high value pick..

If another team offered a 3rd or 2nd for Devlin, would you do it?

It would kill depth but a high value pick is a high value pick..

Yes, I would easily take a 3rd or 2nd round pick for Devlin. We won't ever see an offer that high for him, but if you can get that for any backup player I think you do it.

With that said, the most any team would probably offer for Devlin is a 5th or 6th round pick. Which is not enough to part ways with him after developing him the past few years. I do think he has a good career ahead of him as a #2 in this league and I wouldn't be surprised if he is elevated that high by next season.

I was just watching episode 4 and 5 of hardknocks last night, and man the coaching staff is high on him. Philbin "loves him" and referred to him as a teachers pet. They said that he has that niftiness about him,and also great awareness. There is a clip in there where Philbin is saying he would be comfortable going into a regular season game with any of the 3 QBS starting. From what ive seen and heard It looks like he has good pocket awareness, good command of the offense, and good anticipation. Sunday cant come soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom