Pedro headed to BULLPEN; Mets season now over! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pedro headed to BULLPEN; Mets season now over!

Ray Finkle said:
I wouldn't place any bets on the Mets now. Pedro is a huge loss for the Mets who will have to play a team that caught fire in the first round (either LAD, Houston or SD) where anything can happen.

As much as I love Pedro I question if his career is over or not. Call me anything you want but I don't believe Pedro's calf is the only thing hurting him right now. I think his shoulder/arm is ready to fall off.

his career isn't over. But that arm has only so many pitches in it per year.

And once he goes past that number, he has nothing (like now). He is still effective but the Mets MUST protect him better in the future years. He isn't a #1 ace on a staff anymore.

an amazing PEDRO stat.

Pedro has only won 4 games since May 30th!!!!

Boik14 said:
Glavine has not always struggled in postseason, hes 12-15, 3.58...slightly worse then his career era with most of the losses coming in the nlcs where the braves typically got eliminated. http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/glavito02.shtml

Mota has had his best years with loduca catching
and has been great since hes been here. Wagner's been solid the whole second half and the only team he ever struggled against was atl in the playoffs. Other then that hes been fine. Hernandez is ok and oliver is long relief so its really heilmann, mota, wagner that I worry about. And theyve been fine.

You missed the end of 2004 and all of 2005 when Mota stunk with Dukie as his catcher, didn't you?

MikeO said:
an amazing PEDRO stat.

Pedro has only won 4 games since May 30th!!!!

Yeah I knew that to, very interesting.

But what I think is more important than that is your teams win/loss record in games you pitch, which Im not sure on his.

I'm up in the SNY newsroom right now and I just logged the Pedro interview from after last night's game and from what I heard from him, if I was a betting man I would bet against the Mets getting anything good out of him for at the very least the division series. Pedro said he's been hurt the whole year and that he's stiff. The Mets are still the favorites with or without Pedro but it's going it's going to be a tougher road to the World Series without him. Even Willie seems down on his luck with what's going on with Pedro. Pedro was very negative during the interview and has no confidence. This is a major blow to the Mets playoff rotation!

some reports say he won't pitch at all in the NLDS. Some say he will only be used out of the bullpen.

Most seem to think he will ONLY pitch in the NLDS if the Mets are in a knockout game. Down 2-1 or even 2-2. A one and done scenerio. Which I seem to agree with and think that is what will end up happening.

If Pedro goes to the bullpen he shouldn't throw 1 pitch in the playoffs. Considering how bad he's been since June there's no way he should get the ball, especially a big spot because it usually takes Pedro an inning or 2 to get warmed up. And historically his ERA in the 1st and 2nd innings are higher than the other innings.

MikeO said:
If they play Houston with their pitching the Mets could be in trouble

I really don't think it matters. The Mets lineup is good enough to carry them against the other NL teams. Houston has won 9 games in a row but they're barely over .500 still. The National League is pathetic and I think at the very least 8/9 best teams in baseball are in the AL with the Mets being the only team I would throw in there.

MikeO said:
According to reports he feels he can only throw 2 or 3 innings and he wants to go to the bullpen. Click the link I provided above. Of course things could change, but within 5 days??? I doubt it.

And the Yanks have MORE than 1 good pitcher. Mussiana! Even Wright is pitching better. Yanks have more quality depth in their staff. Maybe it isn't great, but just more depth.

Mets better get Zito this offseason because the days of counting on Pedro and Glavine are over!

I'm willing to bet a LOT that Zito will be a Padre.

unifiedtheory said:
I'm willing to bet a LOT that Zito will be a Padre.

I'd agree with you considering reports are that the Mets don't have much interest in him. Plus I'm not sure if Zito could handle the East Coast.

That's a huge loss for the Mets, but the NL is so bad that the Mets could win it anyway.

Watching some of the Mets/Braves game on SNY... I missed some of what they said, but I believe they said at this point Pedro is out for the rest of the year.

finswin56 said:
Watching some of the Mets/Braves game on SNY... I missed some of what they said, but I believe they said at this point Pedro is out for the rest of the year.

yup, he's officially done for the year now.

nyjunc said:
he's 12-15, 3.58 and Maddux was 11-14, 3.22 ERA. Smoltz was 15-4, 2.66 ERA. if Glavine and Maddux pistched more like smoltz in big games they'd have more than 1 title.

Mota has ben good but he's never faced postseason pressure, wagner hasn't been very good this year and in postseason his worst series was against SD in '98 when he had an ERA of 18. the only other team he has faced is Atlanta and overall he has a 7.71 ERA in postseason.

Hernandez has a 4.26 ERA in postseason(and that was when he was younger and alot better).
Hernandez is 19-14-2.55 era in the postseason. I dont know where youre looking brotha.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hernaor01.shtml

Mota has had lo duca for 2.5 seasons between la and florida and now nym and lo duca has always been the best catcher for him. his era with lo duca catching is about a full run lower then his career era of 3.61. I think he allowed < 5 runs since hes been in ny.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/motagu01.shtml

As far as Glavine call me crazy but I have faith he can step up.

Wagner only faced Sd for 1 inning of 1 game in 98 and he got a win so how can you even count that? ATL hes faced 4 games in the postseasona nd for whatever reason they had his number. Still wagner is perfect since the break and going by his 91% save rate over the last 4 years hes perfectly capable of stepping up in the postseason and with pedro done hes their ace now so he will have to.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wagnebi02.shtml

Bye-bye, Pedro. And likely bye-bye, Mets. To whomever was knocking Houston as being just a .500 team, welcome to the whole NL. The reason why Wild Card teams are so successful in the playoffs is because they are riding high coming in. The Mets haven't had a big game in months.

And Houston is not an easy draw if they get in. Clemens and Oswalt are both very good, and if Pettitte is old Pettitte they're even better. The way Berkman is hitting now, the offense has enough juice with Scott and Biggio and Taveras and Ensberg. They just need Lidge to be Lidge and they could be tough.

Back
Top Bottom