Penalties are on Gase and are a joke.......Fix it!!!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penalties are on Gase and are a joke.......Fix it!!!!!

Don't tell me that the penalties are not on the head coach because they most certainly are. Gase has not properly taken control of the undisciplined play nor has he held anybody accountable and that is on him. Time to wake up, get your head out of that play calling sheet and address the problem and get it fixed.

Hmm. Let see. Were Landry, Pouncey, Suh, Phillips, James, and others prone to penalty under their previous coaches. Yes, they were. Does Coach Gase bear some responsibility? Yes, he does. Are there existing issues? Yes, there are.

This, and being too hands off on the D, are my two real complaints with Gates as Head Coach. I understand, though don't completely agree with the delegation of the D. He needs to do something about the penalties. They are to the point where it is a serious detriment to winning games.

Hmm. Let see. Were Landry, Pouncey, Suh, Phillips, James, and others prone to penalty under their previous coaches. Yes, they were. Does Coach Gase bear some responsibility? Yes, he does. Are there existing issues? Yes, there are.

Every HC accepts a few penalties by elite players (e.g, Suh). Part of the aggressiveness. And I understand penalties by average OLmen against, say, Von Miller. But, dead ball fouls? 14 penalties in one game? Drive-killing penalties cost games. Gase needs to get ahead of this

You do realize that penalties are a league wide issue right? I won't deny that there needs to be more discipline but Gase, hell any head coach, can only be only be responsible for so much when the officiating sucks major balls.

You do realize the Dolphins have a penalty problem right.

Phillips had 2 penalties in 2015 (430 snaps) before Gase
2016 under Gase his penalties went up to 10 (622 snaps)
2017 under Gase he had 2 penalties (403 defensive snaps)
Godchaux picked up the slack with 10 penalties 500 defensive snaps

Landry has been pretty consistent

Pouncey
2017...9 penalties on 972 snaps
2016...1 on 301 snaps
2015...2 on 787 snaps

Suh
2017...13 penalties
2016...9 penalties
2015...15 penalties

James
2017...5 on 494 snaps
2016...12 on 935 snaps
2015...6 on 392 snaps

Interesting stat...We had 5 games with double digit penalties
we lost all 5 games

Suh had 13 penalties
Tunsil 12 penalties
Howard 10 penalties
Godchaux 10 penalties
Pouncey 9 penalties
Stills 9 penalties

Tunsil,Pouncey,and Stills had ONE LESS PENALTY
than the entire Baltimore offense had all season (31 penalties)

Godchaux and Suh combined for 23 penalties
The New York Giants defense had 27 penalties all season

These 6 players Suh,Stills,Pouncey,Tunsil,Howard,Godchaux had 63 penalties...
The whole Carolina team had 83 all season

Last edited:
I think it's more complicated than that. For example, most pre snap flags are either driven by lack of focus(illegal motions, false start...), or aggressivity(offsides). I guess you could give some of the blame towards the coaching staff for the focus penalties but those are profesionnal athletes and it's their JOB to be focused and disciplined in game. The aggressive ones are more coach driven IMO, DL trying to steal the snap count has its benefits and how much a coach is willing to tolerate offenders differs from coach to coach... And when it's a player like Suh doing it, what are you going to do about it realistically....

I think the holding penalties are the ones most influenced by the coaching staff. They're either occuring because A) Players are out of position, or B) They're are being out matched... In both cases, this is what coaches are being payed to do, put your players in position to succeed and player development...Sometimes, they're just the flat out laziness kind, think Mike Pouncey...

I'm not assigning blame, just saying you have to dig alot deeper than gross total penalties to do so... IMO

Last edited:
Don Shula used to at times have officials at Miami practices. I'm not sure the extent of this, but his teams were among the most disciplined, least penalized teams in the NFL.

Maybe that would be a good start for Adam Gase.

Don Shula used to at times have officials at Miami practices. I'm not sure the extent of this, but his teams were among the most disciplined, least penalized teams in the NFL.

Shula was head of the rules committee and intimidated the hell out of officials. How things have changed.

Not buying that. He's been in the job 2 seasons now. The penalties all season have been poor and at no point was there any obvious improvement. I don't trust him to have a clean house. This is the guy that thought Cutler was worth bringing in and worth $10 million.

I understand the irritation with the Cutler move, but he didn’t trust Moore, and his lack of trust in him turned out to be completely justified. He said Ajayi was a problem, and Drake turned out to be better for the team once Ajayi was released.

I am curious, though, what exactly Gase is supposed to do about the penalties? The players union has really eliminated much of what coaches can do for discipline, and it isn’t like the Dolphins bench is deep with talent to allow a lot of benching, so....what exactly is he supposed to do?

Look at it this way. When we had the least amount of penalties they credited Don Shula. So by that, if we have close to the most penalties it should be on the current coach -Gase.

Look at it this way. When we had the least amount of penalties they credited Don Shula. So by that, if we have close to the most penalties it should be on the current coach -Gase.

The NFL is totally different now from what it was with Shula. If there is more that Gase can do besides cut or bench under the current CBA, let me know what it is.

I understand the irritation with the Cutler move, but he didn’t trust Moore, and his lack of trust in him turned out to be completely justified. He said Ajayi was a problem, and Drake turned out to be better for the team once Ajayi was released.

I am curious, though, what exactly Gase is supposed to do about the penalties? The players union has really eliminated much of what coaches can do for discipline, and it isn’t like the Dolphins bench is deep with talent to allow a lot of benching, so....what exactly is he supposed to do?
So deal with those issues in the offseason. Trade or cut Moore then if you don't trust him and sign a backup you trust. Get rid of Ajayi then.

The NFL is totally different now from what it was with Shula. If there is more that Gase can do besides cut or bench under the current CBA, let me know what it is.
sure, here's one. Make an agreement with players for them to be fined. By that I mean donate a determined amount of money to charity. If they agree and don't make that payment, then the team learns something about that players accountability and integrity.

It was so bad the announcers and even refs were laughing at us vs Buffalo. You have no chance when you commit as many penalties as we do. 2 years running bottom of league. Coaches must certainty fix this.

Back
Top Bottom