PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round

i can understand that...to me its all about protection with him...if he has time and can stand in he's gonna exploit you...

Not unlike Joe Flacco, who was pretty bad in that playoff loss. I heard scouts in Orlando even going so far as to say that if I had to choose a guy to play in a crucial situation between Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco, it would be Sanchez.

Point being, Ravens seem quite happy with Joe Flacco even though he displays a lot of the same negatives as Mallett...right down to rubbing people the wrong way.

Not unlike Joe Flacco, who was pretty bad in that playoff loss. I heard scouts in Orlando even going so far as to say that if I had to choose a guy to play in a crucial situation between Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco, it would be Sanchez.

Point being, Ravens seem quite happy with Joe Flacco even though he displays a lot of the same negatives as Mallett...right down to rubbing people the wrong way.

i don't necessarily think flacco makes bad decisions when he's pressured but he's not as effective a qb...no doubt...and this is the first i've heard that flacco had a way of turning people off with his personality...

Cocaine.

Same rumors you were hearing about Marino before the draft in 83, we are now hearing about Mallett. This could wind up being a very similar situation.

We all know Mallett struggles at times with his footwork, getting around in the pocket, moving to the correct spot, and being accurate when pressured or having to move. But, you guys cant deny that when this guy can set and fire, his accuracy is deadly and he can throw with serious velocity as well as distance. If he really does fall to the late parts of round one, and definately into round 2, I just dont see how we can pass on the opportunity to select him even if we have to trade back into a spot to do so.

If this kid ever gets his footwork straightened out, he will be a stud in the NFL. Hell, if a team blocks well for him and or developes his play action ability and the team has a nice play action game, I have no doubts he can bomb all over this league.

Just look at some of the throws he can make. Down the sidelines he can make all the back shoulder and front shoulder throws, placing the ball in just the right spot to give the defender no shot and give his receiver a chance to make a play in stride. Thats key in the NFL. He can make the seem throws, hitting guys in stride and throwing them open.

He also has worked on his in game attitude. It showed during a lot of this season. He found ways to keep himself more even and not get so fired up during the games. I see a lot of Marino in this kid, minus the great footwork that was of course the key to Marino's success.

And I still think this kid is the best QB in the draft this year. T.J Yates is my sleeper, and honestly aside from those 2 guys, I really dont like any of the other QBs.

Cocaine.

Same rumors you were hearing about Marino before the draft in 83, we are now hearing about Mallett. This could wind up being a very similar situation.

We all know Mallett struggles at times with his footwork, getting around in the pocket, moving to the correct spot, and being accurate when pressured or having to move. But, you guys cant deny that when this guy can set and fire, his accuracy is deadly and he can throw with serious velocity as well as distance. If he really does fall to the late parts of round one, and definately into round 2, I just dont see how we can pass on the opportunity to select him even if we have to trade back into a spot to do so.

If this kid ever gets his footwork straightened out, he will be a stud in the NFL. Hell, if a team blocks well for him and or developes his play action ability and the team has a nice play action game, I have no doubts he can bomb all over this league.

Just look at some of the throws he can make. Down the sidelines he can make all the back shoulder and front shoulder throws, placing the ball in just the right spot to give the defender no shot and give his receiver a chance to make a play in stride. Thats key in the NFL. He can make the seem throws, hitting guys in stride and throwing them open.

He also has worked on his in game attitude. It showed during a lot of this season. He found ways to keep himself more even and not get so fired up during the games. I see a lot of Marino in this kid, minus the great footwork that was of course the key to Marino's success.

And I still think this kid is the best QB in the draft this year. T.J Yates is my sleeper, and honestly aside from those 2 guys, I really dont like any of the other QBs.

good points...

There is a reason why he would fall out of the 1st. Its cause he sucks. Did anyone else see that awful int he threw againist OSU in the bowl game?? The game was on the line and he couldnt even make a simple throw. He makes bonehead decisions. I hope the Fins pass on him.

Yes. It was one throw. One play. He was forced to step to his right, never reset properly, and made a poor decision and a poor throw in a pressure situation. Definately a tough error.

However, did you watch the whole game? Did you see some of the throws this kid was making? Arkansas killed themselves with dropped passes. This kid was throwing lasers all over the place on OSU. Catch that back shoulder throw he hit for a TD in the front corner of the endzone. That was just sick. That receiver was covered well too. Just a great throw. An NFL throw.

This kid will make his fair share of mistakes, especially early on in his career. But, if he works hard and learns how to move around in the pocket better when the pressure comes, he will be a great one.

And he is better right now than Chad Henne is, I will tell you that. How many mistakes like the one Mallett made at the end of the OSU game has Chad Henne made this season? A ton.

.... struggles at times with his footwork, getting around in the pocket, moving to the correct spot, and being accurate when pressured or having to move. But, you guys cant deny that when this guy can set and fire, his accuracy is deadly and he can throw with serious velocity as well as distance.

LOL

Umm that doesn't sound like anyone our roster does it?

Thats the exact diagnosis on Henne with some tweaks.
Henne cant hit the broad side of a barn past ten yards whether hes set or not. How many times this year did he just flat out miss people downfield for no apparent reason? The dude is garbage. Youre a really good poster, but you need to let go of Henne. Hes trash. I have no idea why you are always defending him.

Flacco has zero ability to move. I think he could be the most overrated QB in the league right now. Mallett is better than Flacco right now IMHO just because I think he is more accurate. Neither is accurate when forced to move, but Mallett is younger and therefore he still could improve in this area. Again, if Mallett improves with his footwork and his accuracy when being forced to move, he will be one of the very best in this league.

Also notice that Baltimore continues to win and make the playoffs with Flacco as their QB. I see no reason that the phins couldnt draft Mallett and make the playoffs next season with him at QB. He is an instant upgrade to what we have at the position and it has been outlined all year how we easily win 3 or 4 more games this last year with any kind of decent player at QB.

you can win a championship with joe flacco...i was at the ravens game in person and saw just how much pressure and how many hits we put on him and he kept making plays...he did throw one ill advised ball off a quick read that sean smith should have been able to catch and take the other way for 6 but i think that was more about the qb and wr not being on the same page on the route than anything else...i don't recall any pressure being in his face...

i'll take a joe flacco any day...he's not elite but he's good enough to win with

wv...you also thought aaron rodgers was overrated as i recall...

i do agree mallets an instant upgrade and probably could be thrown into the fire from the get go...

Henne cant hit the broad side of a barn past ten yards whether hes set or not. How many times this year did he just flat out miss people downfield for no apparent reason? The dude is garbage. Youre a really good poster, but you need to let go of Henne. Hes trash. I have no idea why you are always defending him.

I'm not always defending him. I cannot fathom how a QB who can sling the rock 30 yards downfield on a frozen rope to the exact spot for 5 years including his rookie year just suddenly stops it his sophomore year. I don't understand why Henne who uses his weight to transfer from his back foot to the front of his body in all of his throws the past 5 years decides to suddenly throw off his back foot this past year on every route, even rifled routes. I can't understand how a QB who loves to throw the ball into tight windows and areas the past 5 years just suddenly decides to not even throw a ball to a player who has 2 yards of free space around him.

I want him to have an offense which is actually viable without a QB who has a 150+ IQ and is a genius in every facet of deciphering defenses. One that allows shots down the field multiple times per game. One that creates spacing with explosive skills players...etc...
And if you honestly think Henne doesn't have the ability to make every single throw on the field I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not always defending him. I cannot fathom how a QB who can sling the rock 30 yards downfield on a frozen rope to the exact spot for 5 years including his rookie year just suddenly stops it his sophomore year. I don't understand why Henne who uses his weight to transfer from his back foot to the front of his body in all of his throws the past 5 years decides to suddenly throw off his back foot this past year on every route, even rifled routes. I can't understand how a QB who loves to throw the ball into tight windows and areas the past 5 years just suddenly decides to not even throw a ball to a player who has 2 yards of free space around him.

I want him to have an offense which is actually viable without a QB who has a 150+ IQ and is a genius in every facet of deciphering defenses. One that allows shots down the field multiple times per game. One that creates spacing with explosive skills players...etc...
And if you honestly think Henne doesn't have the ability to make every single throw on the field I don't know what to tell you.
He has the arm strength, no doubt. But having the arm and being able to make the throws are totally different things. He cant hit a corner route or any deep route that requires any touch. Thats just what I saw every week.

Cocaine.

I'm pretty sure the "Marino on cocaine" rumor only came out the day before the draft and was later proven to be false, back in a day when teams did not do as much to investigate the backgrounds of prospects.

The rumor that Mallet is on cocaine (I've actually even heard it's possibly worse, that it's meth in addition to cocaine and pot) has been around for months. And if it's true, rather than just a rumor, then that's a big deal.

The logic that Marino was rumored to be on cocaine so it's okay that Mallet is rumored to be on cocaine is ridiculous at best.

Exactly.

RobertHorry you are an overall good poster. So I will not take the fact that you are so lost on this one particular aspect of the game(Chad Henne's skills) and say you arent a good poster.

Dude.....I said deadly accurate. That isnt Chad Henne. Just because his scouting report initially was similar dosent make it true. Chad Henne simply isnt accurate at all, much less deadly accurate.

Yes, its true if Henne were truly an accurate passer, he would be very similar to Mallett and the things I said about Mallett would be an almost identical breakdown of Henne. But, the thing is Henne isnt accurate at all. He throws the ball all over the place. Just because occasionally he will hit a nice throw and he certainly has the arm strength in terms of velocity to match Mallett, dosent make them the same.

Now while they are very much the same in terms of poor footwork, not knowing where to move within the pocket, and making poor throws/decisions when forced to do so, dosent make them the same player. Thats as far as it goes. The key differences are that Mallett still hasnt entered the league so you can actually have hope that with the right tutor, he can develope those skills. Chad Henne has been in this league 3 years now and Im sorry, but he hasnt even come close to improving in this area so I have zero hope that he ever will.

That difference along with the fact that Mallett is truly accurate and not just said to be accurate just because he stands tall and fires the ball hard. Again, check out some of the throws this kid makes game in and game out where a receiver is pretty well covered, yet Mallett throws the thing on a ****ing dime from like 30 yards away. And he does this to all areas of the field.....seems, down the sidelines, whatever. He also has the ability to throw guys open in these situations, which is critical in the NFL. Just look at some of the lasers Rodgers threw in the playoffs on some of those skinny posts. How bout that throw he made on 3rd and 10 to Jennings on that last drive in the Super Bowl? Thats the throws Im talking about. Mallett can actually make those things. Mallett has the skills and the guts to make such throws, Chad Henne does not.

Back
Top Bottom