Player interviews 5/30 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Player interviews 5/30

It pisses me off to know that we drafted a guy in the 2nd round that we KNEW had motivation and work ethic issues. Only to have those same issues affect him in the NFL.. SMDH. Hope he figures it out.
A player with Philips measurables who doesnt have motivation and work ethic issues gets picked top 10... Just saying...

Its always enjoyable listening to Reshad Jones. But I must say that Nate Allen sounds like he has his head on his shoulders too.

Jordan Phillips can say whatever he likes ... but this year is his time to prove it. These draftees may or may not be his replacements, but if he doesn't improve his game against the run and his stamina to play a lot more snaps ... his replacement is coming sooner (this year) or later (next year). I wouldn't be surprised if we target a DT in the early rounds next year. And we're always in the market for a free agent DT it seems.

Interesting little side comment from Reshad Jones when talking about the DBs, he complimented X (Xavien Howard) and then said that Tony Lippert is playing the best football since he's been here.
Other thing that attracted my attention were Jordan Phillips' comments. He sounded like he knows he has to lift his game and be more consistent. No sugar coating, he sounded genuinely serious and eager to show what he can do on the field. Also interesting to note that he trained with Ndamukong Suh at the Nike facilities in Portland to help get him in better condition. Last year he played at 336 lbs and wants to get down to 320 lbs (currently around 335 lbs). This is Phillips' third season and it's time for him to show what he can do.

All of these things together... he could be ready to break out. DT's need time to develop

Oh I think this gets way deeper than some would make it out to be. Remember he is playing across from a NFL quality guard. Lets say Richie Incognito for example as we know him. Now Richie has some god given talents. He is a savy vet. He is also dirty and probably crazy. Maybe even a psychopath.

Now if you can beat him fair and square that is one thing. But are you willing to stoop to his level? Are you willing to engage in cheap shots, threats of violence to his family members, whatever it takes, to out "macho and dominate him"? Because I'm pretty much willing to bet both he, and your team's "other DT", are.

This is the line that I don't think is so easy to cross. Some can for the right reasons. Some can't even to save their own life. Maybe a little melodramitic but I think you get my point. Some people will rip your heart out and stomp on it because they can.....and then laugh in your face afterwards. Some couldn't do that to their worst enemy.

After watching Phillips' interview, I have a question for you guys. Forgive me if I am not asking this right, but can a guy like Phillips, who lacks a high motor, learn to play with one? If by human nature, you are passive and laid back, can you change and learn to bring more energy and attitude? Can a guy like Parker find it within himself to play like Landry? Can Phillips play like an Aaron Donald?

In contract year they can.

Phillips being brutally honest up there.

You hear players talk about "making each other better" all the time...its easy to get the impression that is really happening wth this team right now...just one more guy ill be rooting for this year.

After watching Phillips' interview, I have a question for you guys. Forgive me if I am not asking this right, but can a guy like Phillips, who lacks a high motor, learn to play with one? If by human nature, you are passive and laid back, can you change and learn to bring more energy and attitude? Can a guy like Parker find it within himself to play like Landry? Can Phillips play like an Aaron Donald?

I think it is a mischaracterization to call Phillips "passive". His issue is more about playing consistently - he does not always play as hard as he can - which may be more about his focus, ability to concentrate when tired, making sure he takes care of the details which means knowing how to fight through everything in the moment to stay focused on the factors that really matter NOW...

That can be wired into a players neurology - this is something that players can train into their bodies - that is what I imagine is happening with Suh - the quality of their workout likely stretches the players' ability to tolerate the load while it forces their bodies to absorb and redistribute load without having to consciously think about it - that way he can stretch his ability to stay focused in the now and play like an animal!

Is it just me, or does it seem like Jordan Phillips has some non-physical issues holding him back? Obviously, his body is not in shape, and I chalk that up to effort mostly. He spoke about techniques to keep him essentially mentally focused to keep his motor going. I wonder if he is spending too much time in his own head, focusing negatively on himself rather than channeling his confidence and drive?

Also interesting to note that Jordan Phillips (6'6", 335 lbs) had 2 other Defensive Tackles (Davon Godchaux from LSU (6'4", 299 lbs) and Vincent Taylor from Oklahoma State (6'3", 310 lbs)) drafted to compete with him. Note, Phillips is a lot bigger than the other guys.
I'm surprised that the media didn't direct any questions about this to Jordan in the press conference, but my read is that we need just one of these big guys to lock down the run-stopping next to Ndamukong Suh. Phillips is now in his 3rd year and was drafted in the 2nd round but maybe Taylor or Godchaux have can be more consistent and may have better chemistry with Suh. The fact that we doubled down on the DTs in the Draft seems significant. Tannenbaum and Grier are just looking for one of the three to contribute. We have a lot invested in Ndamukong - he may well be a key part of the evaluation process.

Last edited:
Oh I think this gets way deeper than some would make it out to be. Remember he is playing across from a NFL quality guard. Lets say Richie Incognito for example as we know him. Now Richie has some god given talents. He is a savy vet. He is also dirty and probably crazy. Maybe even a psychopath.

Now if you can beat him fair and square that is one thing. But are you willing to stoop to his level? Are you willing to engage in cheap shots, threats of violence to his family members, whatever it takes, to out "macho and dominate him"? Because I'm pretty much willing to bet both he, and your team's "other DT", are.

This is the line that I don't think is so easy to cross. Some can for the right reasons. Some can't even to save their own life. Maybe a little melodramitic but I think you get my point. Some people will rip your heart out and stomp on it because they can.....and then laugh in your face afterwards. Some couldn't do that to their worst enemy.

Good point. But I don't think it's a binary thing that the players who struggle with consistency are necessarily the ones who lose the "Mano-a-Mano" staredowns. Look at Parker, he's shy in interviews, he blows very hot and cold but is actually a big trash talker on the field and very physical with DBs.

Sports psychology is very complex, but in general studies prove the hard workers outperform the naturally gifted. If you're not an obsessive, driven type, who shuts out all the good and bad of the world to focus on tiny incremental improvements in how you play a silly irrelevant game (in the global sense), you will probably be outperformed by one in your next game. It's only a small cohort of the world population who are truly mentally suited to be that guy or girl, so criticizing a guy who isn't by nature but is trying to be is pretty harsh.

Not everyone has to be a Landry to be successful. Philipps can make it if he places football first over everything. He doesn't have to be the football equivalent of a religious zealot, but he does have to be like the guy who is trying hard to embody his moral values day in and day out.

This is why you get interviews with Guards who play against Suh and say he is "a serious nutjob, crazy". We hear interviews or see practice and he's intelligent, mild mannered... but when the ball is placed he gets turnt. That's what Phillips needs to do, or these rookies. Being a hardworking technical professional is just muscle memory.

anyone who has ever read a self-help book should agree that any skill or trait (patience, aggressiveness, motor, motivation, etc) are all able to be taught and improved upon with practice. the first step is being self-aware and honest. that's what he is doing up there.

will he? i don't know, probably not to be frank. but if he does he can develop into a star.

Just watched the interview with Jarvis Landry. What a great kid. What I love about this team is that not only are the players always saying the right things.....they actually have "bought in" and believe in it. EVERY single player I have seen in interviews this year have just been a reflection of Adam Gase and the message he is sending. That goes for the rookies on up to the veteran leaders. It's not forced. It's either learned or in the makeup of the individuals that have been brought in.

Never before have I been as confident in this franchise to build a perennial winner. I see good things for this team because you never get there without the right mindset and work ethic. These guys seem to get it.

This is a very young team but also very mature.

Back
Top Bottom