Playing GM: Screw it, let's go all in for 2013 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playing GM: Screw it, let's go all in for 2013

You don't sign Wallace and Jennings at the prices they are going to demand and bankrupt the team with 2 receivers. Those are not elite positions that warrant breaking the bank...and those are not elite players that warrant doing it either. Both were in contract years and stumbled. Jennings was hurt and has been surpassed by other guys in GB. He wasn't the #1 there anymore. As for Wallace, the Steelers felt more comfortable giving Brown the long-term deal. And for a guy as fast as him, he had less plays greater than 20 yards this year than Heath Miller, Brown and Sanders.....and less than Bess and Hartline too. He didn't exactly light it up this year.

You don't sign Wallace and Jennings at the prices they are going to demand and bankrupt the team with 2 receivers. Those are not elite positions that warrant breaking the bank...and those are not elite players that warrant doing it either. Both were in contract years and stumbled. Jennings was hurt and has been surpassed by other guys in GB. He wasn't the #1 there anymore. As for Wallace, the Steelers felt more comfortable giving Brown the long-term deal. And for a guy as fast as him, he had less plays greater than 20 yards this year than Heath Miller, Brown and Sanders.....and less than Bess and Hartline too. He didn't exactly light it up this year.

The steelers have 5 or 6 elite playmakers I can think of off the top of my head that command a big chunk of their salary cap, not the least of which is their franchise QB, AND WR is a position of strength for them. That is why they are moving on from Wallace, they simply can't afford him. We, on the other hand only have one elite playmaker thats worthy of taking up a big chunk of our cap and that's Cam Wake

The steelers have 5 or 6 elite playmakers I can think of off the top of my head that command a big chunk of their salary cap, not the least of which is their franchise QB, AND WR is a position of strength for them. That is why they are moving on from Wallace, they simply can't afford him. We, on the other hand only have one elite playmaker thats worthy of taking up a big chunk of our cap and that's Cam Wake

And the Steeler's chose Brown over Wallace. To me, that says something. And if we sign 1 WR out of Jennings/Wallace, that's fine. We need a playmaker out wide. But you don't sign both with all the other needs we still have at OL, DL, and DB and like 20 open roster spots.

And the Steeler's chose Brown over Wallace. To me, that says something. And if we sign 1 WR out of Jennings/Wallace, that's fine. We need a playmaker out wide. But you don't sign both with all the other needs we still have at OL, DL, and DB and like 20 open roster spots.

No they offered that contract to Wallace first, he then said NO, then they gave it to Brown.

I don't know if you can read that much into it without knowing what they offered wallace or if they even made him an offer at all. They paid Brown $8.5 per year, maybe that was their absolute ceiling for cap room and Wallace scoffed at that offer, who knows.

I do know this though, I give Pitts credit for extending their young talent well before their contracts come up, its something Ireland hasn't done a single time since he's been here. You can take that both ways too, either he's just not smart or good enough to get it done or the "talent" he brings in isn't worth extending. Both scenarios are the absolute suck.

As we now know, gone are the days of 3-4 year rebuilding periods in today's NFL. In recent years we have seen teams like the Saints, Niners, and Cardinals go from bad/ mediocre to a Title contender seemingly overnight thanks to drastically improved QB play and great coaching that gets the most out of the talent on the roster. Going into this past off season, I was of the opinion that we did not need a team overhaul, we needed a real QB, a real coaching staff and a couple of playmakers here and there in the secondary and on offense... That's why I was so pissed about the Marshall and Davis trades.
My point is that today's NFL is all about QB and coaching. If Philbin is our Sean Payton, and he believes that Tannehill will soon become our Drew Brees, then there is no reason why we can't win now simply by adding a few of the right pieces. Obviously my theory is predicated on Tanny improving by leaps and bounds in the next year or two, but if our staff has that much faith in him, they should make a big push to win right now.
They should cut Incognito, let Hartline, Long, Bush, Smith and Starks all walk to free up as much space as possible, bring back Fasano cheap, and kick Odrick inside to start next to start at his more natural position anyhow. In free agency, I would make a hard push for TWO top receivers (two out of Wallace, Jennings and Bowe) a guard to replace crappy Incognito, and a playmaker at corner or safety like Goldson. We should honestly have the cap space to do all that. In the draft, target one of the beast pass rushers at 12 like Dion Jordan and go after OL, a good back that fits the system, a speedy linebacker and more secondary help with the rest of our plethora of top 100 picks.
With Tannehill making (hopefully) big improvements, having time to throw and an outlandishly good cast of playmakers, there should be no excuses to not have a great offense for years to come. Defensively, so long as we continue to build around speed, pass rush and playmakers in the secondary, we should remain top 10 in the league as well.

Houshmazilly, Championship. Don't **** this up Ireland, this is a make or break off season.

the part I don't understand about your logic is keeping Fasano. If we take the path you suggest and get rid of Hartline why keep Fasano? He's no playmaker either.

You don't sign Wallace and Jennings at the prices they are going to demand and bankrupt the team with 2 receivers. Those are not elite positions that warrant breaking the bank...and those are not elite players that warrant doing it either.

That's been my underlying concern as well. I've meant to post it many times but I was waiting to feed off someone.

We need receivers now. Those two guys happen to be available. Okay. It's an automatic column for Greg Cote to demand the highest profile free agents but I hope we don't get mesmerized. It reminds me of Las Vegas when one game is sitting there in an isolated time slot. Do I bet it because it deserves to be bet, or am I betting it simply to have action?

Jennings is a clever player. Wallace can flash beyond you. I could see both as upgrades but hardly spectacular. Easy to believe at least one would disappoint. The league won't be trembling, let's put it that way.

I'd prefer to keep our chips and invest in the draft, a more wide open field. In free agency, if we are interested in those two players, I'd like to gamble on our instincts and pursue one of them. We're overdue to make the correct choice. And if not, Ireland is one step closer to gone. He'd have earned it.

That's been my underlying concern as well. I've meant to post it many times but I was waiting to feed off someone.

We need receivers now. Those two guys happen to be available. Okay. It's an automatic column for Greg Cote to demand the highest profile free agents but I hope we don't get mesmerized. It reminds me of Las Vegas when one game is sitting there in an isolated time slot. Do I bet it because it deserves to be bet, or am I betting it simply to have action?

Jennings is a clever player. Wallace can flash beyond you. I could see both as upgrades but hardly spectacular. Easy to believe at least one would disappoint. The league won't be trembling, let's put it that way.

I'd prefer to keep our chips and invest in the draft, a more wide open field. In free agency, if we are interested in those two players, I'd like to gamble on our instincts and pursue one of them. We're overdue to make the correct choice. And if not, Ireland is one step closer to gone. He'd have earned it.

I don't believe its too realistic to sign both and I'm certainly not going to be pouting over it when it doesn't happen but here's my take on it:

Jennings is the guy I want, he's cheaper, he's less of a risk, he knows the system and he'll be a mentor for Tannehill and our young rookie wide receivers. So, now that we have Jennings who would be the perfect compliment to our offense? Mike Wallace. He would blow the top off any defense and with Jennings, Wallace and Hartline (or our newest TE Eifert) out there we should have our way with any defense.

So get Jennings first but after we have Jennings on the roster Wallace looks tempting, very tempting.

Can we afford both? Yes we can.

Is it a good decision to sign both? This is where it gets a little sticky, its probably not a good decision to sign both looking at it in a vacuum, but it could be worth doing solely for the buzz (and confidence) it would create, the Dolphins would instantly become relevant again. For sure we would be talked about a lot on NFL Network and most of it would be good for a change. To use another gambling analogy: its kind of like purposely making a -ev decision in a poker hand with the sole purpose of generating action for future hands. It doesn't always work out like you hope but every once in a while you hit the mother load.

The bottom line though is without drafting well (which we have to do regardless) or if Tannehill isn't the answer its not going to take us anywhere, but at least it'll be a fun ride.

I don't believe its too realistic to sign both and I'm certainly not going to be pouting over it when it doesn't happen but here's my take on it:

Jennings is the guy I want, he's cheaper, he's less of a risk, he knows the system and he'll be a mentor for Tannehill and our young rookie wide receivers. So, now that we have Jennings who would be the perfect compliment to our offense? Mike Wallace. He would blow the top off any defense and with Jennings, Wallace and Hartline (or our newest TE Eifert) out there we should have our way with any defense.

So get Jennings first but after we have Jennings on the roster Wallace looks tempting, very tempting.

Can we afford both? Yes we can.

Is it a good decision to sign both? This is where it gets a little sticky, its probably not a good decision to sign both looking at it in a vacuum, but it could be worth doing solely for the buzz (and confidence) it would create, the Dolphins would instantly become relevant again. For sure we would be talked about a lot on NFL Network and most of it would be good for a change. To use another gambling analogy: its kind of like purposely making a -ev decision in a poker hand with the sole purpose of generating action for future hands. It doesn't always work out like you hope but every once in a while you hit the mother load.

The bottom line though is without drafting well (which we have to do regardless) or if Tannehill isn't the answer its not going to take us anywhere, but at least it'll be a fun ride.
It depends on how much Hartline demands as well, especially if he manages to sneak into the Pro Bowl. If it's going to take a similar amount of money to keep him that it would take to sign Jennings, Wallace, or Bowe, I would go after two of the three of them.

the part I don't understand about your logic is keeping Fasano. If we take the path you suggest and get rid of Hartline why keep Fasano? He's no playmaker either.

Just because he would probably come back cheap and he's solid enough. We wouldn't be able to afford a high priced TE if my proposed scenario plays itself out, but Fasano would certainly get open much easier in an offense with two top starting receivers.

Jennings has never displayed anything resembling selfish/ diva tendencies, and Mike Wallace was only a problem once he realized how horribly underpaid he was. You act as if I want a whiny head case like Ochocinco on the team...... Oh, I'm sorry, that was our ****tard GM.

We should purge our roster of Parcells losers and bring in talented winners at positions of need with our outrageous amount of cap space. But maybe we should stick with your idea and retain guys like Brian Hartline that get in the endzone once a decade.

They are both talented, and both believe they should be #1 receivers, best case scenario, they get along until Miami loses a game or two, then which ever of the two is not getting the ball as much will eventuall start asking why he should not be getting it as much or better, eventually the locker will get divided, even if niether expected to divide the team....it will, even the best sodiers will eventually lose patience if they feel they are being treated wrong, and to get both of them, Miami will have to pay premium cash, eventually stopping Miami from getting better at O-line, Pass-rusher, Secondary...positions that Miami will need to upgrade if they expect to compete next year.

I actually did this exact scenario in Madden and it worked out quite nice.....lol

Back
Top Bottom