Polite is #2 alternate at FB for Pro Bowl | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Polite is #2 alternate at FB for Pro Bowl

Agreed. Honestly fans should only get to vote players in for certain positions and not necessarily for the starting spots either. After that the Pro Bowl should be based on performance. Or voted in by NFL owners, coaches, GMs and NFLPA personal.

the same mistakes would happen at positions where there are no tangible stats to judge players. McClain is actually probably the best all around fullback in the league. He is a good runner , receiver and is definately a good blocker.
Of course us dolphin fans feel Polite deserves it but Im sure on Baltimore's board they feel McClain deserves it. McClain actually took over as thier starting HB last year and got the berth at FB. So now among players, coaches and fans he is a name to a degree. Fullback is a pretty unknown position. Look at Lorenzo Neal, once he made it he kept making it like many other players. Those that feel like McClain doesnt deserve it really have not watched him much this season because he has made some huge holes for Rice. He blows up alot of linebackers and blocks for a pro bowl runningback, so that weighs in his favor as far as consideration. Believe me if Ronnie Brown had that magical 1500 yard season that so many keep saying he will have, Polite would be in the pro bowl.

the same mistakes would happen at positions where there are no tangible stats to judge players. McClain is actually probably the best all around fullback in the league. He is a good runner , receiver and is definately a good blocker.
Of course us dolphin fans feel Polite deserves it but Im sure on Baltimore's board they feel McClain deserves it. McClain actually took over as thier starting HB last year and got the berth at FB. So now among players, coaches and fans he is a name to a degree. Fullback is a pretty unknown position. Look at Lorenzo Neal, once he made it he kept making it like many other players. Those that feel like McClain doesnt deserve it really have not watched him much this season because he has made some huge holes for Rice. He blows up alot of linebackers and blocks for a pro bowl runningback, so that weighs in his favor as far as consideration. Believe me if Ronnie Brown had that magical 1500 yard season that so many keep saying he will have, Polite would be in the pro bowl.
I wasn't tryin to imply the fullbacks that got in don't deserve to be on the roster.

I just personally think that the system needs an overhaul. A better case would have been last year at quarterback. Cutler shouldn't have been put in over Pennington. But because Cutler is the more notable name he got in.

Sure Polite might not be as good as the other two guys who got in. But with a different selection system in place he might have stood a better chance of getting on the roster.

Polite had a great season and 3rd of 16 is pretty good recognition if you ask me.

The most important job for a full back is blocking. the second is getting hard yards. after that you might say receiving. or some obscure stat that isn't measurable.

Job #1
Our best two running backs have 1738 yards with 376 carries, 4.62 yards per carry.
Baltimore's best two running backs have 1646 with 333 carries, 4.94 yards per carry.

Job #2
Polite 117 yards with 35 carries, 3.3 yards per carry. 19 first downs. 0 TD's
McClain 175 yards with 45 carries, 3.9 yards per carry. 21 first downs. 2 TD's

Job #3
Polite 51 yards 11 catches, 5.4 per catch.
McClain 135 yards 20 catches, 6.8 per catch.

If you watched every dolphins game you would say Polite is a pro bowler, If you watched every Baltimore game you would say McClain is a pro bowler. If you watched both and looked at the stats you might say it was close and picked the guy with the better numbers.

That being said. Polite should be a pro bowler, i only watched 4 or 5 Baltimore games. :). I watched every dolphins game.

based on what. Im sure noone has done enough research to quantify this.

Research isn't necessary. I can tell you EXACTLY why McClain went to the Pro Bowl this year. Because it was based upon his accomplishments from last year. Polite WAS the best FB this year in the AFC, and this is coming from someone who was not a supporter of Polite coming into the season. For the most part, fans are idiots and it's mainly a name recognition contest. I mean, how else do you explain Troy Polamalu leading fan voting for starting safety? A guy who played all of five games this year.

Pro Bowl voting needs to be taken out of the hands of fans.

Pro Bowl is all a popularity contest.

I agree. I'm just glad Jake Long is a popular guy in the NFL amongst both fans and his peers. Remember when Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, Pat Surtain and JT would make it every year? Those were the days :)

I'm usually site contrarian along with D, but, I have to say Polite is damn good, and, deserves to be in there.

ya but polite has the most important stat. PANCAKES

Back
Top Bottom